Check engine light after installing midpipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-19, 06:07 PM
babiibryan
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Check engine light after installing midpipe

Hi everyone
I have a is250 2015. Just got the Invidia Axle back Q300 (HS13LISG3T) and the Invidia Midpipe (HS13LISMIP) installed. It sounds great. However, after driving around 130 miles, I have the check engine light turns on.
Anyone experienced with this problem?
Old 05-11-19, 06:17 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

The parts of the exhaust you replaced is not monitored by the engine computer, so from it's perspective the exhaust is still complete based on what it can see from the sensor readings.

It could be just coincidence the light came on.

Did you install new gaskets with the exhaust? Was anything else done to the car at the same time? Was anything else disconnected during the install?
Old 05-11-19, 06:35 PM
Rh209216
Driver School Candidate

If i remember correctly the oxygen sensors are in the midpipe section. If you have an exhaust leak between the manifold and the midpipe you could be throwing a lean code
Old 05-11-19, 08:20 PM
babiibryan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The parts of the exhaust you replaced is not monitored by the engine computer, so from it's perspective the exhaust is still complete based on what it can see from the sensor readings.

It could be just coincidence the light came on.

Did you install new gaskets with the exhaust? Was anything else done to the car at the same time? Was anything else disconnected during the install?
Yeah. I installed the new gasket that came with the mid pipe and the axle back. The mid pipe and the axle back were just directly swap. I unplugged the O2 sensor then plug it back to the mid pipe.
Old 05-11-19, 08:21 PM
babiibryan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rh209216
If i remember correctly the oxygen sensors are in the midpipe section. If you have an exhaust leak between the manifold and the midpipe you could be throwing a lean code
Should I unplugged the O2 sensor and plug it back again?
Old 05-11-19, 08:27 PM
Rh209216
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by babiibryan
Should I unplugged the O2 sensor and plug it back again?
Should start by getting the dtc's first. Might not even have to do anything with the exhaust.
Old 05-11-19, 08:32 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Do you have a scanner to read the code? That will direct you to where the issue is.
Since the sensor is right at the beginning of the midpipe, the computer can't see the other 95% of the exhaust you just installed.
Hopefully the new gaskets are sealing properly, but you never know.
Old 05-11-19, 08:33 PM
babiibryan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rh209216
Should start by getting the dtc's first. Might not even have to do anything with the exhaust.
Thanks. Going to autozon to scan for the code now
Old 05-12-19, 12:12 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

After putting in my Tsudo catback I got CELs three times. Exhaust place cleared the codes (were for O2 sensors), came back one more time. From research and others with the same experience, it was suspected to be from not using the OEM gaskets so I went to Lexus and bought a new pair. Of course, no light since and I have yet to put in the new gaskets, lol. Been at least 2 weeks since the last CEL but if it does again I'll put them in.
Old 05-12-19, 02:44 AM
babiibryan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Do you have a scanner to read the code? That will direct you to where the issue is.
Since the sensor is right at the beginning of the midpipe, the computer can't see the other 95% of the exhaust you just installed.
Hopefully the new gaskets are sealing properly, but you never know.
Funny, the light was turn off When I was driving to Autozon to get the scanning. What should I do? Should I just drive there to scan it even though the engine light was already turned off?
Old 05-12-19, 06:43 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Funny, the light was turn off When I was driving to Autozon to get the scanning. What should I do? Should I just drive there to scan it even though the engine light was already turned off?
Yes, the codes remain there. Mine did the same thing -- code trips and light stays on for a few days, then goes out on its own. Have them check for exhaust leaks, especially up by the collectors. Do you know if they used the OEM gaskets?
Old 05-12-19, 11:23 AM
babiibryan
Rookie

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Yes, the codes remain there. Mine did the same thing -- code trips and light stays on for a few days, then goes out on its own. Have them check for exhaust leaks, especially up by the collectors. Do you know if they used the OEM gaskets?
I used the gasket that came with the invidia midpipe and the axle back. Do you think the aftermarket gasket not fitting properly and cause the leak?
Old 05-12-19, 11:29 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

I used the gasket that came with the invidia midpipe and the axle back. Do you think the aftermarket gasket not fitting properly and cause the leak?
Just going by what I've heard from others, as I and another have the full Tsudo and both have had CELs. The shop that put mine in said there weren't any leaks, but the first light came on within a week. The Invidia system is very similar to the Tsudo, but no idea how the gaskets are. The other guy changed his gaskets to OEM and has been fine since, while I haven't changed mine and haven't had the light for a couple weeks now either. It's something to look into at least.
Old 05-12-19, 09:29 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have owned and installed 3 tsudo catbacks in my IS's in the last 10 years and can tell you that only two issues could come up when getting a check engine light after install.
1. Gasket leak at the catalytic converter connection where the catback connects to. The leak wont appear when revving at the shop or at a stand still but will leak at or above 25mph. Symptoms of the gasket leaking will cause check engine light to stay lit and will not go away.
The resolution is to buy these gaskets below. They solved my issue on the last two catbacks I installed.
Remflex 6005 Exhaust Collector Gasket

2. When removing or installing O2 sensors the wiring was twisted or pinched to the point where the O2 sensor is no longer providing a constant current back to the Ecu. Symptoms will cause check engine light to appear for a bit and will go away. You may see the check engine light flicker on rainy days.
Resolution would be to change out the O2 sensor that is damaged.

Last edited by jay90011; 05-12-19 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-12-19, 10:17 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jay90011
I have owned and installed 3 tsudo catbacks in my IS's in the last 10 years and can tell you that only two issues could come up when getting a check engine light after install.
1. Gasket leak at the catalytic converter connection where the catback connects to. The leak wont appear when revving at the shop or at a stand still but will leak at or above 25mph. Symptoms of the gasket leaking will cause check engine light to stay lit and will not go away.
The resolution is to buy these gaskets below. They solved my issue on the last two catbacks I installed.
Remflex 6005 Exhaust Collector Gasket

2. When removing or installing O2 sensors the wiring was twisted or pinched to the point where the O2 sensor is no longer providing a constant current back to the Ecu. Symptoms will cause check engine light to appear for a bit and will go away. You may see the check engine light flicker on rainy days.
Resolution would be to change out the O2 sensor that is damaged.
Thanks, so did you install the Tsudo or OEM gaskets on all three originally, then just swapped out on the ones where you got CEL? The Remflex are half the price of Lexus OEM

On at least one of the occasions, the light came on after I was running it bit harder than normal (which is daily-driverish). But I've been doing at least that the past week and the light's still off. Maybe time to give it a good go and see what happens...

Quick Reply: Check engine light after installing midpipe