IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Interior Creaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-19, 08:08 PM
djinn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Creaking

Bought a new 2019 IS 350 Fsport a few months ago and have always noticed the inside of the car creaks. Lately I’ve been contemplating whether I should take it into the dealership to see if they can resolve, or is this a normal expectation with this model. The creaking generally happens when pulling out of the driveway and/or hitting a slight bump in the road. Very annoying.

It sounds like the creaking is coming from the windows when rolled up. When slightly rolled down the noise isn’t as obvious.

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 05-07-19, 10:44 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by djinn
Bought a new 2019 IS 350 Fsport a few months ago and have always noticed the inside of the car creaks. Lately I’ve been contemplating whether I should take it into the dealership to see if they can resolve, or is this a normal expectation with this model. The creaking generally happens when pulling out of the driveway and/or hitting a slight bump in the road. Very annoying.

It sounds like the creaking is coming from the windows when rolled up. When slightly rolled down the noise isn’t as obvious.

Any advice is appreciated.
Sounds like an imperfection or something got loose. My car doesn’t creak at all. Just go ahead and take it to the dealership, but take a video of it happening and show it to them so they don’t just tell you “we didn’t find anything”.
Old 05-08-19, 01:33 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Clean your seals and apply a thin layer of shni-etsu grease to all the seals that make contact from doors to body if you don't want to spend the time to take it to the dealer
Old 05-08-19, 12:02 PM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Are you hearing the creaking around the front of the cabin with the windows up? Try checking the glove box to see if something is moving around in there or even in the trunk. If nothing, maybe a plastic panel came loose or slightly popped off.

And I would agree, the dealership probably won't do anything for you. You'd probably have to narrow down where you're hearing the creaking/squeaking from inside your car.
Old 05-08-19, 12:11 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,557 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
Are you hearing the creaking around the front of the cabin with the windows up? Try checking the glove box to see if something is moving around in there or even in the trunk. If nothing, maybe a plastic panel came loose or slightly popped off.

And I would agree, the dealership probably won't do anything for you. You'd probably have to narrow down where you're hearing the creaking/squeaking from inside your car.
If the dealership refuses, be sure to let them know Hendrick Lexus in Kansas City fixed 2 separate rattle/creak issues for this guy under warranty.

They should fix it. Frankly they should have caught it during PDI.
Old 05-08-19, 01:06 PM
mvppadilla
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have noticed this creaking as well in my 2018 IS. For me it happens when I pull out of my driveway at an angle (I have a steep driveway so this is the only way to prevent scraping).
Old 05-08-19, 01:29 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,557 Likes on 1,826 Posts

Originally Posted by mvppadilla
I have noticed this creaking as well in my 2018 IS. For me it happens when I pull out of my driveway at an angle (I have a steep driveway so this is the only way to prevent scraping).
Is your creaking also coming from the window area? Just want to confirm because I've heard some creaking before when slowing going over large bumps/steep driveway entries but not from the windows, lol.
Old 05-08-19, 01:32 PM
mvppadilla
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
Is your creaking also coming from the window area? Just want to confirm because I've heard some creaking before when slowing going over large bumps/steep driveway entries but not from the windows, lol.

I'll have to check tonight with windows up/down, I usually have my windows rolled up when this happens. To me it sounds like the creaking is coming from the dash area.
Old 05-08-19, 06:17 PM
tff
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

I would take it to the dealer since your car is under warranty. When I got by 2014 IS350 (certified used), I had two very annoying creaks/noises. One came from the driver's door seal. After 4 trips of them spraying stuff and realigning the door, they finally replaced the inner and outer door weatherstripping and that solved that problem. I also had an annoying creak from the dash when turning and going over bumps... after several trips on that noise, the dealer took apart the dash and finally fixed it... I think the added some tape or gasket material on what was rubbing. (You'll see another post of mine that I have more subtle but continuing noises in the dash area). Good luck
Old 05-09-19, 05:57 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by mvppadilla
Hmm... I'll have to check again, but I also have a 2018 IS and don't hear any creaking. Like you, I have a steep driveway and turn the wheel when I pull out to the road.
Old 05-09-19, 08:46 AM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Yes, creaking here. "Plastic buzzing" noise, more precisely. On passenger side.
Mine issue is temperature dependent. Happens when the cabin is cool.
I haven't bothered with the dealer. I figure that they could create a new problem
tearing things a part.
Old 05-10-19, 01:36 AM
ex00
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Did you have tint installed? I would knock on each of the door panels(all around) to make sure it's actually locked in and engaged with the clips.
Old 05-10-19, 11:31 AM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had some creaking as well. The first was solved by the hood. The second over rougher roads does sound like it's coming from the door and/or the seatbelt holding thing on the side panel (i'm sure there's an actual name for it). It really only shows up on rough roads, which unfortunately the first part of my commute is filled with potholes.
Old 05-10-19, 08:25 PM
djinn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update... I added Gummi Pflege Stift on the door seals on the left side of the car. Made a huge difference. So it appears it was the rubber seals rubbing against each other. Will do right side over the weekend.
Old 05-13-19, 08:25 AM
aniks
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djinn
Update... I added Gummi Pflege Stift on the door seals on the left side of the car. Made a huge difference. So it appears it was the rubber seals rubbing against each other. Will do right side over the weekend.
+1 I tried this with some 303 I found at autozone. For the most part, most of the creaks seem to have disappeared. There's still some left, but not as audible as what was there before!