IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lock the car w/remote while car is still running (but key fob not inside car)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-19, 07:13 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't the dash display a "no key" indicator which eventually would shut the car off after a few minutes - especially if you took the key fob with you? I personally haven't tried leaving the car running, lock it, then leave it while bringing the key fob.

My wife has a Murano and she usually carries her key in her purse. There are times I drop her off quick to a store then I park the Murano and wait for her, but sometimes she forgets to leave the key in the car with me. Since she has the key in the purse that she's taken with her, the Murano displays a "No Key" in the dash, beeps because of it, and eventually the vehicle shuts off after a few minutes when in Park.
Toyota products don't behave in this way. If the key is removed, the car will run indefinitely, until it's turned off or runs out of gas. Toyota's logic is that they wouldn't want the car to shut off while driving down the road, should your fob battery go dead or experience any other communication issue between the fob and the car.
Old 05-01-19, 07:57 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

^ That's interesting... good to know, thanks. It makes sense for the car not shutting off while driving for safety reasons, but while in park, I would understand Nissan's logic at least to have the car shut off after a few minutes without the key fob in proximity. And while parked, if the key fob battery died or if there was a communication issue with the car itself, the driver would always be able to get in the car via the manual key.
The following users liked this post:
JDR76 (05-01-19)
Old 05-01-19, 01:35 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by AVIAT0R
This is what I was thinking too reading this thread. Step out and then press the lock button on the interior of the door, close door while keeping fob with you.
If you press the interior lock button with the door open and the engine running it immediately unlocks itself. A lot of companies implement this to make it idiot proof against locking the keys in the car with it running.
Originally Posted by unioncorps
^ That's interesting... good to know, thanks. It makes sense for the car not shutting off while driving for safety reasons, but while in park, I would understand Nissan's logic at least to have the car shut off after a few minutes without the key fob in proximity. And while parked, if the key fob battery died or if there was a communication issue with the car itself, the driver would always be able to get in the car via the manual key.
It will not shut itself off without the key. I have driven my car to a friend's house, got out and my wife immediately leave to go run errands before realizing she didn't have the key. Luckily she realized she didn't have it before she shut the car off at her first stop though.
Old 05-02-19, 11:03 AM
taktiks
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Lexus had an issue in the past with a certain demographic who buys their cars forgetting to turn them off after they parked in their garage because the cars were so quiet. This resulted in the deaths of the owners from CO poisoning.

If you couldn't read into that, Lexus was killing old people in Florida with their impossibly smooth running ES models.

Anyway, I believe this is a way to prevent that, along with the beeping you hear when you walk off while the car is running.
Old 05-02-19, 11:07 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by taktiks
Lexus had an issue in the past with a certain demographic who buys their cars forgetting to turn them off after they parked in their garage because the cars were so quiet. This resulted in the deaths of the owners from CO poisoning.

If you couldn't read into that, Lexus was killing old people in Florida with their impossibly smooth running ES models.

Anyway, I believe this is a way to prevent that, along with the beeping you hear when you walk off while the car is running.
I had no idea. With how clean cars run nowdays, I just never thought that could happen. But apparently it can.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/13/b...xide-toll.html
Old 05-02-19, 12:21 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,897 Likes on 1,969 Posts

Originally Posted by taktiks

I find the 3.5-liter in the IS to be on the noisy side (direct injection, the sound tube, etc...), so this shouldn't be an issue for us.
Old 05-02-19, 01:00 PM
pngo
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
My guess without actually trying this...and knowing Toyota's pattern of thought...the door would automatically unlock on its own once the door closes...or even before the door closes
This is exactly what happens. Tried this while trying to pick up my coffee mobile-order like OP.
Old 05-02-19, 04:05 PM
Propulsion
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
if u lock with metal key manually, I’ve gone as long as 10 minutes and the car is still locked and running.
you have to unlock with metal key though fob doesn’t work.
^^^ yes, this is the only remedy. And it’s the same across most Lexus vehicles (I own a GS). During the winter months I pull up to Starbucks (like the OP) to grab my mobile order and I’ll have to

- roll down the driver’s side window.
- exit the car while running.
- reach through the driver’s window and manually LOCK all doors.
- use auto-up function to roll up driver’s side window with all doors locked.
- upon returning use metal key located within the key fob to manually unlock door.

personally I don’t mind this as I see as a preventative measure taken by Toyota/Lexus to keep owners from locking themselves out.
Old 05-03-19, 07:03 AM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Propulsion
personally I don’t mind this as I see as a preventative measure taken by Toyota/Lexus to keep owners from locking themselves out.
I understand why they will not let you lock it with the inside switch, that is to prevent you locking the key in the car. But the car knows the location of the proximity key and will not lock via the sensor on the outside if the key is still inside the car. It still could allow you to lock it from the outside with the door handle sensor or the fob if the key is on the outside without risking people locking themselves out.
Old 05-03-19, 07:11 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Which one of these scenarios do you think TOYOTA will prefer while making the decision on how the door locks operates?

Allowing you to lock the car with the fob out side and running the risk of some idiot leaving there child/pet/elder in the car and something goes wrong and the dumb-*** parent sues Toyota over the fact that the car allowed them to lock the car while running and the fob is not present, which will then allow the VERY LIMITED niche of ppl that wants to hop out of their car lock it while its running and run inside for coffee.

OR

Disable locking of the doors making all but impossible for you to lock up the car while its running virtually eliminating the above scenario but alienating the star buck fans from leaving their car running and locked.
Old 05-03-19, 07:28 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think there's a single car out there that lets you use the remote fob buttons while the engine is running.
Old 06-27-19, 06:14 PM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RX_330
I don't think there's a single car out there that lets you use the remote fob buttons while the engine is running.
I was able to turn the car and locked it with the key fob. This was a 2016 BMW 340i. I miss that feature, I think I had to “code” it to the car thou.
Old 07-07-19, 03:35 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

My 14 Nissan Sentra does. It knows exactly when they fob is no longer inside the vehicle and then will allow me to lock while I leave the car running.
Old 07-07-19, 04:22 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 2015 ford explorer, it let me do it.

I also had a 2017 dodge journey (company car) that let me do it as well.
Old 07-08-19, 09:03 AM
ALLBLCK604
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Unfortunately carista doesn’t have an option for this either. So I wouldn’t recommend trying that.

I want the same feature for warming up my car after work. I’m done shift in the am, so in the winter the car is frozen.

I think your only option is an after market auto start. I had a viper on my old car. I could leave it running and lock it from the out side with fob that way. With the keys out of the ignition.

Quick Reply: Lock the car w/remote while car is still running (but key fob not inside car)