IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lock the car w/remote while car is still running (but key fob not inside car)

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-19, 02:10 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lock the car w/remote while car is still running (but key fob not inside car)

hey guys,

in many of my previous cars i've been able to do this but i just bought a used 2014 IS and it doesn't work.

Often times, I stop by a bakery or starbucks or something similar to grab a quick bite/drink. i always have the key fob in my pocket and on my previous cars, I was able to get out and leave the car running but use the remote to lock the doors so that no one could hop in while i was inside the store etc.

The IS however won't allow me to do this. Does anyone know if there is an override? or some programming that can be done at the dealership? or if it's even possible? Since i'm only running in for a minute or two, i'd rather just leave the car running rather than turning it off and on again.

Thanks for any info u guys could share!
Old 04-30-19, 02:39 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,492 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Sorry if this isn't the most helpful answer, but... you will save fuel by turning the car off if you are going to be inside for any more than a few seconds (and I mean literal seconds).

With that out of the way, I was not aware that you couldn't lock the car while it was running, but I do think it makes sense. The car will eventually need to be shut off, and if the car is locked while running in an enclosed area, that could create a hazard. Moreover, with the above information that it's a waste of fuel to leave the car running, I don't know that it's useful for most people to be able to do this.
Old 04-30-19, 02:53 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Originally Posted by arentz07
Sorry if this isn't the most helpful answer, but... you will save fuel by turning the car off if you are going to be inside for any more than a few seconds (and I mean literal seconds).

With that out of the way, I was not aware that you couldn't lock the car while it was running, but I do think it makes sense. The car will eventually need to be shut off, and if the car is locked while running in an enclosed area, that could create a hazard. Moreover, with the above information that it's a waste of fuel to leave the car running, I don't know that it's useful for most people to be able to do this.
Thanks for the tip and i'm aware that it'll save fuel in the long run but in many instances for me, that's not a big issue. For instance, I usually order starbucks via mobile app and just run in to pick it up or if it's not ready it's a minimal wait. That's really the reason i don't want to keep turning on and off the car so frequently. (it may sound silly but in my mind, that potentially could lead to more maintenance and the potential for something to break). For example, these new "start/stop" features on new cars, i think that's complete crap. I know it saves gas but with traffic in places like new york and california, the constant turning off and on of the engine is for sure going to accelerate wear and tear and maintenance on that car.

Also to your point, i'd never leave the car running in an enclosed area, like a garage. This is purely for when i need to hop in and out of the car for no more then a few seconds/minutes to grab something. i just don't want to give an opportunity to some lunatic who just might be sitting outside and decides to hop into my car and take off while i run inside. Being able to lock the doors would prevent this...
Old 04-30-19, 03:03 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,492 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by logix1229
Thanks for the tip and i'm aware that it'll save fuel in the long run but in many instances for me, that's not a big issue. For instance, I usually order starbucks via mobile app and just run in to pick it up or if it's not ready it's a minimal wait. That's really the reason i don't want to keep turning on and off the car so frequently. (it may sound silly but in my mind, that potentially could lead to more maintenance and the potential for something to break). For example, these new "start/stop" features on new cars, i think that's complete crap. I know it saves gas but with traffic in places like new york and california, the constant turning off and on of the engine is for sure going to accelerate wear and tear and maintenance on that car.

Also to your point, i'd never leave the car running in an enclosed area, like a garage. This is purely for when i need to hop in and out of the car for no more then a few seconds/minutes to grab something. i just don't want to give an opportunity to some lunatic who just might be sitting outside and decides to hop into my car and take off while i run inside. Being able to lock the doors would prevent this...
If your car is already warmed up before you arrive at the coffee shop, the wear caused to the engine should be negligible. But, I understand it will technically cause more wear especially when the engine is cold.

I wasn't saying you might leave the car on in an enclosed area, for sure. Just stating the manufacturer has to make the car as idiot-proof as possible.
Old 04-30-19, 03:04 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by logix1229

my 2015 350 let’s me lock with the metal key while the car is on. I literally just take the metal key out of the fob and can lock it he doors with it while running. Key fobs with me, if u do it this way u have to UNlock with the metal key manually again. But car will be locked, running and fob is with me

Last edited by NickCaesar; 04-30-19 at 03:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
350RWD (01-27-22)
Old 04-30-19, 03:05 PM
logix1229
Rookie

Originally Posted by arentz07
If your car is already warmed up before you arrive at the coffee shop, the wear caused to the engine should be negligible. But, I understand it will technically cause more wear especially when the engine is cold.

I wasn't saying you might leave the car on in an enclosed area, for sure. Just stating the manufacturer has to make the car as idiot-proof as possible.
LOL. no worries buddy. I understand why by default they wouldn't let me do this but it just sucks because on some other cars i've had, it was possible and extremely convenient.

Anyone know if a programming would make it possible? or will lexus dealership even do it due to legal issues or some other liability issues?
350RWD (01-27-22)
Old 04-30-19, 03:08 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

I've wondered this myself as sometimes people want to leave their pet or other valuable in the car as they keep the A/C on. Perhaps that's the way the OP should have phrased this.

I wonder what happens if you physically open the lock, get out, and lock the door again physically before closing it (with the engine running)

1) will the lock stay closed

and 2) will the car reopen with the fob?

i havent tried yet
Old 04-30-19, 03:12 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by E46CT
I've wondered this myself as sometimes people want to leave their pet or other valuable in the car as they keep the A/C on. Perhaps that's the way the OP should have phrased this.

I wonder what happens if you physically open the lock, get out, and lock the door again physically before closing it (with the engine running)

i havent tried yet
if u lock with metal key manually, I’ve gone as long as 10 minutes and the car is still locked and running.
you have to unlock with metal key though fob doesn’t work.
350RWD (01-27-22)
Old 04-30-19, 03:17 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

i'll try pushing the lock but with the window down.. i'd rather not jerk with a key. it's not 1984
Old 04-30-19, 03:48 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

i'll try pushing the lock but with the window down.. i'd rather not jerk with a key. it's not 1984
takes all of 3 seconds but if you’re one of those people that worries about what people think about you I could see the dilemma
truu (04-30-19)
Old 04-30-19, 06:42 PM
Tungstn-IS
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

I find this annoying as well. The 2IS was the same way. I usually drive in sport+ with traction control off so just resetting all that and waiting for media on the phone to connect and such gets old. As far as leaving it running in the garage, you could just as well do that with any car, locked or unlocked.

Half the cheap crappy cars out have factory remote start but we can't even lock ours. The irony is that those cars have to be locked to use the auto start.

Last edited by Tungstn-IS; 04-30-19 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-01-19, 05:42 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something here, but wouldn't the dash display a "no key" indicator which eventually would shut the car off after a few minutes - especially if you took the key fob with you? I personally haven't tried leaving the car running, lock it, then leave it while bringing the key fob.

My wife has a Murano and she usually carries her key in her purse. There are times I drop her off quick to a store then I park the Murano and wait for her, but sometimes she forgets to leave the key in the car with me. Since she has the key in the purse that she's taken with her, the Murano displays a "No Key" in the dash, beeps because of it, and eventually the vehicle shuts off after a few minutes when in Park.
Old 05-01-19, 05:52 AM
AVIAT0R
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

i havent tried yet
This is what I was thinking too reading this thread. Step out and then press the lock button on the interior of the door, close door while keeping fob with you.
Old 05-01-19, 06:19 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by AVIAT0R
This is what I was thinking too reading this thread. Step out and then press the lock button on the interior of the door, close door while keeping fob with you.
My guess without actually trying this...and knowing Toyota's pattern of thought...the door would automatically unlock on its own once the door closes...or even before the door closes
350RWD (01-27-22)
Old 05-01-19, 06:49 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd like to have some answers on this as well. More to the point, I'd like to be able to use my remote start and not have the damn car turn off once I open the door. Grrrr. I mean, a $300 after-market remote start can do this, but Lexus thought it was too risky?

Quick Reply: Lock the car w/remote while car is still running (but key fob not inside car)