IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lexus IS vs RC driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-19, 06:07 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts
Default Lexus IS vs RC driving experience

So I was able to take a loaner out 2 times for an RC while my IS was being worked on in a dealership. I understand the RC is not a sports car, it's a grand touring car. I enjoy driving my IS way more which left me shocked because I always thought getting an RC would be an upgrade. The steering is super light, feel a bit more body roll.. so my question is, how can you make the RC drive like an IS? Would it be as simple as upgrading the suspension to some lowering springs, better bushings, strut bar? What could make the steering response better in that car?
Old 04-05-19, 06:27 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

I would have preferred an RC (no spouse or family) but for the reality they're more expensive and far fewer around so less selection. The large heavy doors were also a negative, and the car itself is heavier and it's disappointing to hear that it doesn't drive as well, at least subjectively. It's apparently a hybrid of IS and GS platforms so would have expected better. All that being said, I would investigate an RC-F in a few years once the current ones depreciate down to reasonable levels.
Old 04-05-19, 09:47 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
I would have preferred an RC (no spouse or family) but for the reality they're more expensive and far fewer around so less selection. The large heavy doors were also a negative, and the car itself is heavier and it's disappointing to hear that it doesn't drive as well, at least subjectively. It's apparently a hybrid of IS and GS platforms so would have expected better. All that being said, I would investigate an RC-F in a few years once the current ones depreciate down to reasonable levels.
Being a hybrid makes it a worse platform. The GS doesn't feel as good as the IS platform. Its more comfortable but the IS is sportier and way nimbler in my opinion.
Old 04-06-19, 08:09 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I remember watching Top Gear and they were saying that the chassis of the RC was 1/3 GS, 1/3 IS, and 1/3 IS Convertible. Which areas, I cant recall, but thats a big reason behind the heavier weight of the RC. Each segment was somehow fused together with some sort of State-of-the-Art laser welding technology.
Old 04-06-19, 08:54 AM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

And despite all that, all reviews I have seen mentioned the RC drove sportier than the IS except this lone instance. OP never mentioned if the RC he drove was an F-Sport or whether or not his car is an F-Sport or is modified.
Old 04-06-19, 09:13 AM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,700 Likes on 1,786 Posts

I have an RC on order and expected to arrive later this month....I have had 2 IS350 F sport (2015 and 2017) and I'll be testing it before signing on the dotted line. I love the look of the MMC of the RC (except that I am sad they took away the separated LED swoosh, I felt it was more aggressive looking apart). To me, the concern I do have is the fact that the RC is more heavy than the IS and already, the IS feels quite heavy. I noticed a difference in handling from the 2015 to the 2017 as my 2017 is a bit heavier than my 2015 was (more equipment)....So it will be interesting but I don't buy the RC or IS for a sport driving experience otherwise I would buy something totally different. For me, I like the reliability, styling, the naturally aspirated engine, a conventional 6 speed (since ours are all AWD in Canada)....I hate 10 speed transmissions!!
Old 04-06-19, 11:29 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,894 Likes on 1,967 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
And despite all that, all reviews I have seen mentioned the RC drove sportier than the IS except this lone instance. OP never mentioned if the RC he drove was an F-Sport or whether or not his car is an F-Sport or is modified.
Really? Pretty much every review of the RC, F Sport or not, has stated that it's not actually very sporty.

Here's an example:

And another: https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...d-test-review/

That said, I haven't driven one yet, so I know not whether to agree with journalists on this issue. However, general consensus is that "sportiness" between the two models is comparable, or slightly in the IS's favor due to its lower curb weight.
Old 04-06-19, 01:21 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Savagegeese and a couple others I have seen contradicts what C&D and Smoking tire claim here. We already know it's heavy, the same redundant argument is used against the RCF and yet it is more capable than the late ISF.

I don't have much faith in C&D reviews therefore I will test drive myself since I am contemplating upgrading to the MMC RC350F. The IS is ok to drive and if the RC proves inferior then most likely my next lease will be a C class, at least the refresh ones has amazing tech, something no Lexus can claim today.
Old 04-06-19, 03:13 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

I guess the only thing we can conclude is that how "well" it drives is a matter of subjectivity...
Old 04-06-19, 08:15 PM
Savjam
Pit Crew

Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
So I was able to take a loaner out 2 times for an RC while my IS was being worked on in a dealership. I understand the RC is not a sports car, it's a grand touring car. I enjoy driving my IS way more which left me shocked because I always thought getting an RC would be an upgrade. The steering is super light, feel a bit more body roll.. so my question is, how can you make the RC drive like an IS? Would it be as simple as upgrading the suspension to some lowering springs, better bushings, strut bar? What could make the steering response better in that car?
I test drove the RC before purchasing the IS. The RC felt slow and clumsy compared to the IS which was more balanced and tossable. The only thing that impressed me with the RC was how stiff the chassis felt.
Old 04-06-19, 08:16 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Savjam
I test drove the RC before purchasing the IS. The RC felt slow and clumsy compared to the IS which was more balanced and tossable. The only thing that impressed me with the RC was how stiff the chassis felt.
Undoubtedly the "C" factor in the hybridization, along with the extra weight.
Old 04-07-19, 07:39 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 377 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by EXE46
One was F sport one was not. All reviewers, not just savagegeese, say it's not a sporty drive.. Lexus doesn't advertise it as a sports car, they advertise it as a Grand Touring car which is supposed to be comfortable. The IS driving experience is a lot more sporty and planted as opposed to RC which doesn't feel as tight.. It's not a bad drive but I enjoy driving my IS over the RC.. but my question initially was, if I wanted the RC to be sportier, would I have to get aftermarket springs and strut bars?
Old 04-08-19, 10:29 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 812 Likes on 410 Posts

Having owned both an IS250 and a RC350, the RC is faster, coming from a IS250, but overall, the IS felt much lighter around corners. The RC, however feels much more planted, which in my opinion, is better than being light around corners. Even though the handling on the IS felt lighter and tighter, I have more confidence in the RC's ability to stick to the road around a corner at higher speeds.
Old 04-08-19, 12:40 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Having owned both an IS250 and a RC350, the RC is faster, coming from a IS250, but overall, the IS felt much lighter around corners. The RC, however feels much more planted, which in my opinion, is better than being light around corners. Even though the handling on the IS felt lighter and tighter, I have more confidence in the RC's ability to stick to the road around a corner at higher speeds.
I wonder if the IS 350 is kinda the best of both. Lighter than an RC 350 but also quicker in a straight line, while still being slightly heavier than a 250...
Old 04-08-19, 12:45 PM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Never drove an RC, but did drive a 200t. Can confirm that the 350 is heavier than the 200t driving feel wise!

Quick Reply: Lexus IS vs RC driving experience