IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Summer vs Winter Tire NVH

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 06:53 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 174 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Summer vs Winter Tire NVH

Hey guys, swapped my summers on today, pilot sport a/s 3 on factory fsport rims... noticed a HUGE difference in NVH (noise vibration harshness) compared to my winters. I have a creek in the cabin I didn’t have with the winters, and the bumps are soooo much louder and harder, I only drove the car for 3 weeks before putting my Winters on last year so 95% of my driving with my IS was on winters.

Is this normal? I have the upgraded RCF bushings.
I read pilot sports are super loud, which I noticed immediately but the difference in NVH was shocking.
can a wheel swap put you out of alignment also?

thanks!
Old 04-01-19, 07:04 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Totally normal. Your winter tires are super soft compound. The summer tires will get better as it gets warmer out.
Old 04-01-19, 07:12 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Burrcold
Totally normal. Your winter tires are super soft compound. The summer tires will get better as it gets warmer out.
like night and day though? I was convinced my alignment was off, then I started thinking maybe they didn’t torque wheels correctly. So much louder and harsher with the pilot sports. I might switch to a squared set up so I can run thicker sidewall and rotate tires.
Old 04-01-19, 07:22 PM
Burrcold
Advanced

Originally Posted by NickCaesar
like night and day though? I was convinced my alignment was off, then I started thinking maybe they didn’t torque wheels correctly. So much louder and harsher with the pilot sports. I might switch to a squared set up so I can run thicker sidewall and rotate tires.
I noticed a lot when I put my winter tires on so I'm assuming I'll be just as surprised when they come off. I doubt it's an alignment issue. Where do you live?

Edit, never mind you're in Ontario like me. Honestly it's still pretty cold to swap on your summer tires. The compound is going to be hard for most of the day. They will get better as we get closer to May.
Old 04-01-19, 07:44 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Burrcold
I noticed a lot when I put my winter tires on so I'm assuming I'll be just as surprised when they come off. I doubt it's an alignment issue. Where do you live?

Edit, never mind you're in Ontario like me. Honestly it's still pretty cold to swap on your summer tires. The compound is going to be hard for most of the day. They will get better as we get closer to May.
frigggg it’s cuz I did my brakes today so I thought I’d save $ by doing them together i also have a real nice set of Nokian Hakkapallita I thought I was preserving by swapping now, I knew summer tires were hard in cold, but I thought because they’re an all season it would be fine. As long as we don’t get hit with snow, which we shouldn’t, I’ll be good, but between the upgraded bushings and rock hard tires my cars ride is feeling like a late 90’s civic at the moment.
Old 04-02-19, 05:05 AM
Burrcold
Advanced

frigggg it’s cuz I did my brakes today so I thought I’d save $ by doing them together i also have a real nice set of Nokian Hakkapallita I thought I was preserving by swapping now, I knew summer tires were hard in cold, but I thought because they’re an all season it would be fine. As long as we don’t get hit with snow, which we shouldn’t, I’ll be good, but between the upgraded bushings and rock hard tires my cars ride is feeling like a late 90’s civic at the moment.
The fact that they're all seasons does help vs summer tires, but they will still be much harder at temperatures still hovering around 0c. It will get better as the temps rise and as your starts to forget how plush the winter tires are lol.
Old 04-02-19, 05:57 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I was about to swap to my summers on both my vehicles on Sunday (IS and Highlander). But the snow derailed that plan.
My IS also needs rear brakes...like I mean 'need!'. Well, there's always this weekend coming.

For the snows I use 7C as my benchmark.
In the Fall when the temp is consistently below 7C, then I swap to the winters...this minimizes any excessive and puts me in a good spot if it snows suddenly.
In the Spring I do the the reverse, I swap them once the temp is consistently above 7C.

Definitely Burrcold is correct, that the tires will be like rocks at this point, so expect more NVH.
We need to get into the double digits before they will at least think about softening up.
Hang tight, Spring is coming...well, technically it's here, but I think someone forgot to tell the snow.
Old 04-02-19, 07:54 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I was about to swap to my summers on both my vehicles on Sunday (IS and Highlander). But the snow derailed that plan.
My IS also needs rear brakes...like I mean 'need!'. Well, there's always this weekend coming.

For the snows I use 7C as my benchmark.
In the Fall when the temp is consistently below 7C, then I swap to the winters...this minimizes any excessive and puts me in a good spot if it snows suddenly.
In the Spring I do the the reverse, I swap them once the temp is consistently above 7C.

Definitely Burrcold is correct, that the tires will be like rocks at this point, so expect more NVH.
We need to get into the double digits before they will at least think about softening up.
Hang tight, Spring is coming...well, technically it's here, but I think someone forgot to tell the snow.
where do you live? RockAuto.com has crazy prices and really good products. I just did rear brakes with Centric E-Coated rotors, Advics ultra premium ceramic pads and all hardware. I’m in Ottawa, I drive 45 min to Ogdensberg to pick them up. Parts, tax & shipping was under $200
Old 04-02-19, 08:05 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

where do you live? RockAuto.com has crazy prices and really good products. I just did rear brakes with Centric E-Coated rotors, Advics ultra premium ceramic pads and all hardware. I’m in Ottawa, I drive 45 min to Ogdensberg to pick them up. Parts, tax & shipping was under $200
Coincidentally I did RockAuto for this round of rear brakes.
I got the Powerstop kit (Centric), which included 2 blank rotors, pads, shims, and clips for the caliper bracket. The pads are Centric Posi Quiet premium ceramics.
Once they are quiet, that's all I care about...the reality is, the rear brakes only do a third of the braking, so unless I'm tracking this thing, it should stop just fine.
It was $150 total shipped to my door in Richmond Hill.
Old 04-03-19, 07:58 AM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Coincidentally I did RockAuto for this round of rear brakes.
I got the Powerstop kit (Centric), which included 2 blank rotors, pads, shims, and clips for the caliper bracket. The pads are Centric Posi Quiet premium ceramics.
Once they are quiet, that's all I care about...the reality is, the rear brakes only do a third of the braking, so unless I'm tracking this thing, it should stop just fine.
It was $150 total shipped to my door in Richmond Hill.
did u pay duty or import fees or whatever it’s called?
shipping to Ottawa was like $20 more but I assumed I’d get nailed for duty so I just crossed the border n grabbed them. Which kit did u get? Z what?
Old 04-03-19, 08:56 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

The only fees on top of the price was tax ($15), duty ($6), and shipping ($24).
It shipped from their Syracuse, NY warehouse (they call it Warehouse A).

This is the kit I got: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=3298556&jsn=1
Old 04-03-19, 05:32 PM
ChineseKFC
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

whats your km atm? just wondering since i'm probably due for a rear replacement soon as well.
Old 04-03-19, 06:25 PM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Hey guys, swapped my summers on today, pilot sport a/s 3 on factory fsport rims... noticed a HUGE difference in NVH (noise vibration harshness) compared to my winters. I have a creek in the cabin I didn’t have with the winters, and the bumps are soooo much louder and harder, I only drove the car for 3 weeks before putting my Winters on last year so 95% of my driving with my IS was on winters.

Is this normal? I have the upgraded RCF bushings.
I read pilot sports are super loud, which I noticed immediately but the difference in NVH was shocking.
can a wheel swap put you out of alignment also?

thanks!
You're wheels will not have a noticeable affect on alignment since the overall diameter is basically the same.

I believe the noise comes air going through the thread design. Lowering may reduce this?
Old 04-03-19, 06:56 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
You're wheels will not have a noticeable affect on alignment since the overall diameter is basically the same.

I believe the noise comes air going through the thread design. Lowering may reduce this?
lowering tire pressure?
Old 04-04-19, 05:00 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ChineseKFC
whats your km atm? just wondering since i'm probably due for a rear replacement soon as well.
I'm at 54k, but I bought the car at 25k about 2 years and 10 months ago.
The rear rotors, at the time I bought it, were new, so I thought they may have replaced the pads too...not 100% sure.