IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Aftermarket heated seats (not what you think)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-19, 09:32 AM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Aftermarket heated seats (not what you think)

Question for any Lexus techs on this forum (or anyone else knowledgable about the 3IS). I've seen the thread about the weak heated seats in the IS. I am planning on installing an aftermarket head unit in the glovebox and extending the faceplate to where the heated seat controls are, which will require re-locating the heated seat controls. Unfortunately, there is a huge board underneath the controls so I can't re-locate the factory controls since there is no spot big enough to integrate them in the center console. I'm not happy with the weak heated seats anyways and thinking of just replacing them with aftermarket heated seats and locating the switches in the center console between the cupholders and nav pad. Does anyone know if the factory heated seat elements are sewn/glued to the seat cover? And if so, would there be any issues just disconnecting the factory heated seats and installing the aftermarket elements between the cushion and seat cover (underneath the factory elements)?
Thanks!!
Old 03-31-19, 07:06 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I haven't looked at the threads for the seat heater as I don't usually use mine, so I have no complaints about it.
I'm sure the thread mentions the TSB to replace the front seat heaters and A/C amplifier to fix the poor heat condition.

To answer your question, the F Sport seat has the heater attached to the cushion.
The non-F Sport seat has the heater attached to the cover.

If you're going to toss the factory ones, then I would just try to seperate it from whatever it's attached to. It's not like you're reusing them.
Installing it on top the cushion if the OEM heater is attached to the cushion shouldn't be an issue.
But if the heater is attached to the cover, then it might inadvertently provide an extra layer of insulation that you may not necessarily want.
The following users liked this post:
clov3r (04-01-19)
Old 04-01-19, 07:11 PM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
I haven't looked at the threads for the seat heater as I don't usually use mine, so I have no complaints about it.
I'm sure the thread mentions the TSB to replace the front seat heaters and A/C amplifier to fix the poor heat condition.

To answer your question, the F Sport seat has the heater attached to the cushion.
The non-F Sport seat has the heater attached to the cover.

If you're going to toss the factory ones, then I would just try to seperate it from whatever it's attached to. It's not like you're reusing them.
Installing it on top the cushion if the OEM heater is attached to the cushion shouldn't be an issue.
But if the heater is attached to the cover, then it might inadvertently provide an extra layer of insulation that you may not necessarily want.
Huh that's interesting about the TSB... I didn't hear about that. I read through the whole thread and last time I checked people basically said the dealer said the seats were "working as designed" and wouldn't acknowledge the problem. Thanks for all the info, that definitely helps! If I end up going through with the project I'll get rid of the factory elements when installing the aftermarket ones. Although knowing about that TSB now, I may try and figure out another spot to mount the head unit and just do the TSB fix for the seat heaters. That way if I ever trade in the car I don't have to do so much work to get it back to stock.
Old 04-02-19, 05:26 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

For reference I've attached the TSB. It appears it only relates to F Sport IS's.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
L-TCI-3548-en.pdf (81.4 KB, 93 views)
The following users liked this post:
clov3r (04-02-19)
Old 04-02-19, 06:40 AM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
For reference I've attached the TSB. It appears it only relates to F Sport IS's.
Awesome, thanks! I have an F sport so it's definitely applicable to my car.