IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Installing GS-F/RC-F front lower control arm bushing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-19, 12:55 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

He just mentions tighten down to spec.
Any one know how may ft/lbs all that calls for?

Or, a good source to get all that info without buying a manual
Old 02-17-19, 02:02 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
He just mentions tighten down to spec.
Any one know how may ft/lbs all that calls for?

Or, a good source to get all that info without buying a manual
Between the 2 pics that will give you all the specs you need:

The last number in the box is ft-lbs

The first pic is the Right Front lower control arm...just mirror it for the Left Front.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sasnuke:
Jbreezie (04-02-19), sunamer (11-23-19), TheLex350 (06-10-20)
Old 02-17-19, 02:14 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Between the 2 pics that will give you all the specs you need:

The last number in the box is ft-lbs

The first pic is the Right Front lower control arm...just mirror it for the Left Front.
that's awesome, thank you.
Old 02-17-19, 06:22 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by darkfire
Hey all, I'm ready to purchase the GS-F/RC-F front lower control arm bushing. Would any auto shop be able to install this? So far I've only got a quote from one and they're asking $350 plus alignment... seems high, but I can't do it myself. Any advice?

Chris
i got the parts for $127 Canadian and paid a local shop 45$ for the install... only a 30 min job with a lift.
you don’t need an alignment after. Assuming your alignment know is good. My mechanic told me if we changed the whole control arm you would but not for these.
Old 02-17-19, 06:36 PM
darkfire
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NickCaesar

i got the parts for $127 Canadian and paid a local shop 45$ for the install... only a 30 min job with a lift.
you don’t need an alignment after. Assuming your alignment know is good. My mechanic told me if we changed the whole control arm you would but not for these.
Thank you. Definitely going to keep searching for a better quote!
Old 02-17-19, 07:46 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by darkfire
Thank you. Definitely going to keep searching for a better quote!
just make sure you tell them that you bought the whole bracket, with the bushings in them. No pressing required. You could even show them the pic so they understand. Just make sure you don’t pay more than 30 min labor, only 3 bolts holding each one, super easy job.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (10-29-19)
Old 03-04-19, 06:05 PM
wirelessg
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Which shop did you go to? One of my local garage is quoting for half a day $250 to do the install...

EDIT: Think I'll do this myself, seems easy just like installing a catback or downpipe. Bolt on bolt off

Last edited by wirelessg; 03-04-19 at 06:23 PM.
Old 03-04-19, 06:54 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 458 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by wirelessg
Which shop did you go to? One of my local garage is quoting for half a day $250 to do the install...

EDIT: Think I'll do this myself, seems easy just like installing a catback or downpipe. Bolt on bolt off
That’s ridiculous. Do it yourself, it’s super easy.
Old 03-04-19, 07:47 PM
wirelessg
Rookie

Originally Posted by Flash5

I'm just not 100% sure how am I supposed to retorque all bolts back to spec while my car is flat on the ground. Can I get away by retorquing all bolts on car ramps?
Old 03-04-19, 07:50 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Flash5

an independent garage by my house, are u in Ottawa?
some ppl think the job takes longer because they think they need to press the bushings, they don’t. You bought the whole assembly, it’s 3 bolts and that’s it.
explain that to them, show them the part you bought, tell them your brother in a different city had people put them in for 30 min labor. It’s literally a 30 min job with a lift.
Old 03-04-19, 07:58 PM
wirelessg
Rookie

an independent garage by my house, are u in Ottawa?
some ppl think the job takes longer because they think they need to press the bushings, they don’t. You bought the whole assembly, it’s 3 bolts and that’s it.
explain that to them, show them the part you bought, tell them your brother in a different city had people put them in for 30 min labor. It’s literally a 30 min job with a lift.
Nope, I'm located in the GTA (Richmond Hill). I'll try again and explain the situation to the mechanic to see if he'll budge on the labour work effort. If any garage is charging me over $100, then I'm going to just DIY this when the weather gets warmer
Old 03-04-19, 08:07 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

Nope, I'm located in the GTA (Richmond Hill). I'll try again and explain the situation to the mechanic to see if he'll budge on the labour work effort. If any garage is charging me over $100, then I'm going to just DIY this when the weather gets warmer
should be even cheaper in the gta. Mechanics there are wayyyyyy cheaper than Ottawa...Show them the pic of the part, tell them you know it’s 3 bolts & super easy. Find a shop that charges partial hours, and just wait for them. My mechanic that did it is super slow and pokey and only took 30. Everyone else I called though the prices were like 2-3 hours because they didn’t understand the job. Whatever you do don’t pay more than 50$ labor... that’s being generous assuming a 30 min job at a 100$ hour rate.
I was just in Markham last week, I got a transmission fluid drain and fill, throttle body and a fuel injector cleaning for $120 cash at a garage there, some guy who’s a former Toyota master tech.... dealership is like 350-400$ for that and in Ottawa there’s not 1 independent Toyota tech that could even do it.
Old 03-04-19, 08:13 PM
NickCaesar
Instructor

i just checked google maps your 15 min from Markham, go see this guy if you want he’s the independent master Toyota tech I saw last week..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-p...ationFlag=true

thats his ad his contact info is there. He would do the work right in front of you and surely charge you no more than 30 min labor, he was really good working on my car I got to sit beside him and watch everything
The following users liked this post:
wirelessg (03-04-19)
Old 03-04-19, 08:15 PM
wirelessg
Rookie

i just checked google maps your 15 min from Markham, go see this guy if you want he’s the independent master Toyota tech I saw last week..

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-other-auto-p...ationFlag=true

thats his ad his contact info is there. He would do the work right in front of you and surely charge you no more than 30 min labor, he was really good working on my car I got to sit beside him and watch everything
Sweet, thanks! Normally I go to iGarage (previously had an STI and Motul synthetic oil changes cost $60 cash with OEM filter). Ever since I got my Lexus I've been going to Bullock City.
Old 03-05-19, 05:03 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

That's what I'm doing...waiting for the weather to get better.
Likely when I have the front up to put on the summer wheels I'll do it at the same time.
If you got jack stands, just use those.
With the car ramps once you loosen off the bushings the weight of the vehicle may cause the end of the control arm to move slightly.
It's not fall or nothing crazy like that, just might be a little hard to get the holes for the bolts lined up exactly...not the end of the world though, that's pretty easy to get around.

There's a couple shops in Richmond Hill near me if you need a recommendation.

Quick Reply: Installing GS-F/RC-F front lower control arm bushing?