IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Recommended Services ? 60 K

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 08:23 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,738 Likes on 1,371 Posts

I saw the tranny fluid, but not the diff ones. The diff oils I wouldn't be so interested in as it's gear oil...so it's thicker and darker than engine oil when it's new.
It would likely be darkish now, which I would expect anyways. And really it's just splash lubrication, so basically it is what it is.

The tranny fluid was dark though...now black, but a very rich dark burgundy.
I would imagine if I drained it today it would look the same since only 30% of it was replaced.
Some one has got to have come up with a way of hooking up a flush machine to the Drain and Fill plugs to do a complete exchange of fluid.

I think when you look at the construction of engines today, there's probably more wearable parts in the tranny.
And the tranny doesn't have a filter per say, that's why they have the magnets. Even when you feel the stuff on the magnets, it's soft because the particles of metal are sooo small that it doesn't even feel like metal...that's how smooth it is.
Old 02-16-19, 08:50 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

No filter, really? Apparently the colour of the fluid doesn't always indicate needing changing, but more if there's contaminants or burnt odour. I've only owned a couple of automatics though, so certainly no expert.
Old 02-17-19, 07:53 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
No filter, really? Apparently the colour of the fluid doesn't always indicate needing changing, but more if there's contaminants or burnt odour. I've only owned a couple of automatics though, so certainly no expert.
Since forever Toyota never used a transmission filter, they have always used a strainer.
I realize it boils down to semantics at this point...a filter will allow the oil to flow through while trapping contaminants from going into the unit...the strainer is a single layer stainless steel mesh that allows the oil to flow through and stops the contaminants for getting into the unit.
So the strainer doesn't trap anything, just blocks it. The contaminants can fall back into the pan, but if they get sucked up again, they will just hit the strainer mesh.
If you were to drop the pan to change the fluid, there would be no need to change the strainer. You could, in theory, take the strainer out and clean off anything on the mesh and put it back...but really it's not necessary.
If the tranny grenaded and you were doing a rebuilt, then yes, I would replace the strainer since it's possible something large could have damaged the mesh.

And you're correct, for many oils the color is not really a condemning factor in terms of service life.
After an engine oil change, the oil will be clean on the dipstick for at least a couple weeks, if not a month or so.
Then it will appear to be black after that...allowing for a variety of shades of dark as time passes.
Doesn't mean the oil is fried...just doing it's job capturing contaminants, etc.
Old 02-18-19, 09:35 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

I guess a key question would be, how big is the strainer, and how likely could it (conceivably) become blocked, if say the filings from the magnets were dislodged during flushing for example?
Old 02-19-19, 04:33 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I guess a key question would be, how big is the strainer, and how likely could it (conceivably) become blocked, if say the filings from the magnets were dislodged during flushing for example?
The strainer is pretty big...think about the size of a soft cover novel. Not as thick obviously, but about those outside dimensions.
Likely impossible it would ever clog...the tranny would likely have to grenade into a million pieces for that to happen...and at that point you'll have far more pressing issues.
Old 02-19-19, 06:06 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I have shredded a 1G-GZE in the older Mark 2 "what you guys may know as Chaser" and the strainer wasnt clogged although the two big magnets in the trans sump pan was filled with metallic soot.
Old 02-19-19, 06:42 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Good to know, thanks gents. Didn't think it was that big, and is it located near the lower end, even serviceable/accessible if the bottom pan/cover is removed?
Old 02-19-19, 06:45 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Good to know, thanks gents. Didn't think it was that big, and is it located near the lower end, even serviceable/accessible if the bottom pan/cover is removed?
Speaking to the older Toyota trans I am use to, yes once you remove the trans sump and baffle plate (which is just sandwiched between the trans and sump) its right there in your face.
Old 02-25-19, 01:31 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i had the differential fluid changed today on my rwd is 250. i had had the transmission flushed, spark plugs changed, air filter changed, oil changed, and brake fluid changed about a month prior and now the car has had its preventative maintenance done for now. it's going to need a set of rear tires soon as the shop told me they are due for changing. is there anything that i am missing?
Old 02-26-19, 07:03 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i had the differential fluid changed today on my rwd is 250. i had had the transmission flushed, spark plugs changed, air filter changed, oil changed, and brake fluid changed about a month prior and now the car has had its preventative maintenance done for now. it's going to need a set of rear tires soon as the shop told me they are due for changing. is there anything that i am missing?
Coolant is the only thing left...depending on what mileage you're at...but never hurts to change it a little early.
Old 02-26-19, 08:14 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Coolant is the only thing left...depending on what mileage you're at...but never hurts to change it a little early.
thanks, sasnuke. i'm only at 32k miles (51k km) and i know i've changed everything super early but i live in a harsh climate with sub-freezing temps in the winter and ~100*F (~40*C) temps in the summer so i thought it prudent to change the fluids.