IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3rd gen quirks

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-18, 08:15 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

Our LED low beams are kind of lacklustre. They're essentially recycled from the 14 Corolla LED headlights. I know cause I opened them up and run quad (OEM) LED projectors on my IS. The high beams are pretty good. So yeah it's an old design, can't fault it too much. Great foreground, but decent distance and kind of weak width. They look great though.

The IIHS tested the 14-16 LED as having longer distance than the 17+ LED. But the 17+ having an edge in high beam distance.

Straightaway low beam distance measurement:

341/167 ft L/R for 14-16
259/137 ft L/R for 17+
Old 12-06-18, 08:37 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Our LED low beams are kind of lacklustre. They're essentially recycled from the 14 Corolla LED headlights. I know cause I opened them up and run quad (OEM) LED projectors on my IS. The high beams are pretty good. So yeah it's an old design, can't fault it too much. Great foreground, but decent distance and kind of weak width. They look great though.

The IIHS tested the 14-16 LED as having longer distance than the 17+ LED. But the 17+ having an edge in high beam distance.

Straightaway low beam distance measurement:

341/167 ft L/R for 14-16
259/137 ft L/R for 17+
It's worth noting the 2016 IS scored a lot better than the Corolla in those tests. The Corolla, notably, had "excessive glare", whereas the IS did not.

For me they are still a decent set of lights.
Old 12-06-18, 08:39 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah the external lensing is a bit different. The Corolla has a flared lens due to the overall headlight design so this can cause dispersion. Slightly different tuning. The external lens (headlight "glass") can also cause glare as well.

There's also variation in headlight aim car to car as no two headlights are aimed exactly the same by factory technicians.

Tricky subject. I have 15 years of headlight modding and conversions under my belt. I have a lot of fun with it though =)
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (12-06-18)
Old 12-06-18, 08:44 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Another thing.. glare is a difficult thing. It's usually caused by tuning deliberately designed for safety, for sign illumination. You can mod this out with many headlights at the expense of not being able to see reflective signs at night. So depends how the manufacturer tunes it for the needs and purpose of the car.

My CT has modded projectors deliberately tuned to be sharp, no glare. But I can't see signs at night.
Old 12-06-18, 09:49 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BlazeL
Jay, it sounds like two of your problems can be solved by simply holding the button rather than pressing it. If you hold the cruise control button on the end of the lever, it switches from ACC to just normal. The symbol will pop up differently as well. And for traction control, if you hold the button it will stay off until you press it again, or at least that's what I've done.
ooh, I may have to try this later. It either wasn't in the manual or I completely missed it
Old 12-13-18, 06:38 PM
Grtdane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sunglass holder in the roof ;-)
Old 12-14-18, 06:16 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've got a 2014 IS350 F sport package.

1. My seats are just ripping at the edges right by where you left thigh would sit. Pleather just isnt that great.
2. Lack of memory seats options in the US Market.
3. No tiltings or folding mirrors. My mom's got tilting and folding mirrors in her 2012 Mercedes, My buddy has tiling in his 01 E46, I had folding mirrors in my old 99Civic. Obviously it's not a standard option, but the technology has been around for a while, and it'd be nice to see it come a little more standard in our luxury brand.
4. No real factory option to put your phone. I have a phone mount situated by the passenger seat heater switch, but It'd be nice to have like a spot for it.
5. I manage to elbow whatever drinks live in my cupholder every now and then. I personally prefer cup holders in front of the shifter, but it's not for everyone.
6. Disabling traction control. When you do the long hold method of turning off your traction control and vsc? The warning light keeps coming on in the display, within minutes after dismissing the prompt. I intentionally turned you off, in fact I had to hold the button down to turn you off, it's like I'm committed to turning you off.
7. No real place to put your sunglasses from the factory. I have a ebay center console tray and put my sunglasses there.
8. How easily my interior trim pieces scratch
9. Does anybody else's A-Pillars create huge blindspots?
10. The sunshade doesnt extend back, I've found a few times where the sun was just in the right spot where I couldnt do anything about.
11. It is not hard at all to scratch up your steering wheel if you're wearing jewelry. I've done it while wearing a stainless ring.

I do like the fact that the aux input can also receive RCA inputs,
there's a small cable routing nub from the center console for your chargers,
The fact that there's 2 usb inputs and an aux, but i've only been able to get ios devices to push audio via usb
You can set a speed indicator in your tacho, where it'll display a yellow ring if you exceed a user defined speed, and red past 100mph
You can also set a "shift light" where it'll display a red/orange ring (the same one from when you redline) at a defined rpm.
Old 12-15-18, 09:13 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by itsx
I1. My seats are just ripping at the edges right by where you left thigh would sit. Pleather just isnt that great.
The first time I sat in this car I was like that bolster just isn't going to last, it's too big, and basically gets hit all the time. I'm 138 lbs and I'm sure mine will be destroyed in a year.

The rest of what you said I agree with as well, seems like most do. I would have paid an extra $2500 for all those things to be corrected/added, no questions asked. Just call it the ultimate version.
Old 12-15-18, 09:16 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

My seats are holding up just fine. Some creasing, but nothing major. Do you perform any upkeep? I regularly maintain with a simple damp microfiber towel and Aerospace 303. That, and taking some care while getting in and out of the car should help. Seriously, my rioja red seats are fine. Some car ownership details in the sig.
Old 12-15-18, 09:17 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
My seats are holding up just fine. Some creasing, but nothing major. Do you perform any upkeep? I regularly maintain with a simple damp microfiber towel and Aerospace 303. That, and taking some care while getting in and out of the car should help. Seriously, my rioja red seats are fine. Some car ownership details in the sig.

Good to know. But honestly, the seats aren't real leather?
Old 12-15-18, 09:41 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by VisualEcho
Good to know. But honestly, the seats aren't real leather?
Its not real genuine leather. Its synthetic material. I havent had much issue with it. I'll even include a picture. This was taken after my cross-country trip, so apologies for the little crumbs. Its since been vacuumed and cleaned. And in case anyone asks, thats a Scan Gauge device in the crevice. 4 years of wear / 36k miles. The red is deeper than the picture shows.

Old 12-15-18, 10:07 AM
VisualEcho
Pole Position

Not happy about it not being leather, but it's good news that it'll last.
Old 12-15-18, 12:05 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I've got a 2014 IS350 F sport package.

1. My seats are just ripping at the edges right by where you left thigh would sit. Pleather just isnt that great.
I make sure not to slide into the seats. I think having the auto tilt/telescope helps a lot.
Over 5 years and 53K miles with zero seat cover issues. I have the extra wrinkle on the seat where I think there should be a seam, but, no issues with tearing.
Old 12-15-18, 12:17 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I make sure not to slide into the seats. I think having the auto tilt/telescope helps a lot.
Over 5 years and 53K miles with zero seat cover issues. I have the extra wrinkle on the seat where I think there should be a seam, but, no issues with tearing.
I am the second owner of the car and I am somewhat doubtful the previous owner took great care of the car. I didn't notice the wear in mine until reading mentions of it, and by then it was too late. I never really thought about needing to be "graceful" coming in and out of my car, it doesn't help that I'm awkward as it is getting in and out of my car ever since I bagged it.
I do wonder how other car manufacturers and their "premium" seats would fair to the same level of abuse I've given my seats.
Old 12-16-18, 10:11 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,895 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I am the second owner of the car and I am somewhat doubtful the previous owner took great care of the car. I didn't notice the wear in mine until reading mentions of it, and by then it was too late. I never really thought about needing to be "graceful" coming in and out of my car, it doesn't help that I'm awkward as it is getting in and out of my car ever since I bagged it.
I do wonder how other car manufacturers and their "premium" seats would fair to the same level of abuse I've given my seats.
I always tell passengers to get in slowly because the seating position is low, but what I am really worried about is sliding their butts across the bolster.

In my old Buick, I could slide in, but not in a car with any sort of bottom-cushion bolstering.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen quirks