3rd gen quirks

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-18, 12:42 AM
Grtdane
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd gen quirks

Hi guys!
Having owned the car (2014 IS350) for a little under a year I must say that I really love it!!
However, it has some quirks in my opinion;
  1. The windshield wipers are extremely slow to the point where they can not keep up with a rainstorm! This is a serious safety issue that I wish they would correct.
  2. The LED headlights are nice but the high beams are a joke and I can barely tell when they are on. Does anyone have a suggestion for an upgrade?
  3. Mine is a non-F Sport version so I don’t have that drive mode. “Sport” feels like it should be the standard mode as “normal” is way too eager to be in 8th gear at 40mph. Who gets this car to drive around in ECO mode?
  4. The interior storage for cell phones etc. sucks and the armrest is useless for passengers if you have drinks in the cup holders.
  5. I got a black on black with the black Nuluxe interior. Why on earth would they make everything else from the windows up tan in the non-F Sport!
  6. No memory seats in mine... i wonder if I can add that on?
I know I might be nitpicking and again, overall I love the car. Yes, I did wish mine was a F Sport but I do actually like my factory 18” dark silver 5-spoke wheels over the F Sport’s (sorry F Sport guys).

I am curious what you guys think and what quirks I have missed?
Old 12-05-18, 05:09 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

1. Windshield wipers are plenty fast IMO, especially with the rainstorms here in Atlanta (I just came from Cali)

2. LED headlights are indeed a bit weak especially the low beam, but the high beam are decent to me.

3. I’m almost always driving in Sport+ mode and Eco mode on highways. I rarely touch normal or sport.

4. I use a magnetic mount to hold my phone. The interior storage (center console) holds some miscellaneous items. Glove box has 2 cigars, a lighter, and a flashlight besides the owners manual. Passenger arm rest and drink holders are a bad design but you’re the driver so be happy!

5. Black interior trim is only available on FSport models. I knew this prior to buying so I don’t think this is really a quirk.

6. Lack of memory seats is a bit of a bummer...

*The one option I really wish I had would be the auto-tilt side mirror when reversing. Would be super helpful. Having to do it manually all the time is kind of a pain but I deal with it.

Last edited by RageRacerM; 12-05-18 at 05:23 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 06:53 AM
BrettKA7
Pole Position

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
6. Lack of memory seats is a bit of a bummer...

*The one option I really wish I had would be the auto-tilt side mirror when reversing. Would be super helpful. Having to do it manually all the time is kind of a pain but I deal with it.
lack of memory seats and auto mirror tilt are the only things I really miss from my BMW. They should have been standard on the F Sport package considering what a premium it is over the base for what are all essentially just *different* options than the non-sport as opposed to actual additions. Probably $1-2k of options in a $4k package.

Still... F Sport was non-negotiable for me.

Does anyone else feel like the rear view mirror doesn’t adjust upwards enough? I feel too tall for the rear view mirror.
Old 12-05-18, 07:30 AM
SSworks
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

They are a few options I thought that should have been standard options for this price range.
memory seats
auto mirror tilt
active/adaptive cruise control
lane change assist
reverse cam lines that direct you instead of fixed lines
a working remote start lol (take over feature)
remote windows UP not just down.
electronic telescopic steering column

These are all options for various trims, some you cant even get if you opt for the F sport package, however (my opinion) if you opt for a $5000 package like the F sport package it should all come with the package.

Last edited by SSworks; 12-05-18 at 08:07 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 07:51 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

My car came with reverse cam lines that move along with the steering wheel. I didn’t know that was optional??

The car would have been perfect had it had the memory seats and auto tilt. Adaptive cruise would have been a bonus but it’s not a major selling point for me.
Old 12-05-18, 07:54 AM
SSworks
Driver

LOL my lines are fixed and I was reading that it was an option in certain markets and standard in some.
14 is350 F sport Ultra white with Rioja Red with avs vgrs nav and ML

Last edited by SSworks; 12-05-18 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-05-18, 08:05 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

The reverse lines don't move on a '14, it must have changed for the '15 model.
Old 12-05-18, 08:31 AM
BlazeL
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RageRacerM
Adaptive cruise would have been a bonus but it’s not a major selling point for me.
Don't feel like you're missing out.
I thought I would use it a lot more. I do quite a bit of commuting to and from work and I just use the normal cruise control rather than the adaptive. After a couple times of using it I realized it was probably better to just use the regular. The minimum following distance in my mind is way too far (I get that it's for safety reasons) but then if the person in front of you isn't using cruise control then the car is constantly speeding up to your desired speed you've set and then putting the brakes on when they let off the gas. Over and over and over. Imagine being the car right behind me... having to watch my brakes go on constantly as we go 80 mph down the interstate. I know that annoys me.

From an engineering standpoint, it only makes sense the car would just let off the gas as a human does instead of immediately putting the brakes on at the slightest rate of deceleration. Not so sure this is true from a safety standpoint, which will always take precedent. I feel like if you used adaptive cruise control daily on your commute your life of your pads would be lower than that of someone who uses the normal cruise control.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlazeL:
Former5SFE (12-05-18), RageRacerM (12-05-18)
Old 12-05-18, 08:56 AM
RageRacerM
Advanced

Originally Posted by doodlebug
The reverse lines don't move on a '14, it must have changed for the '15 model.
huh, learned something new today
Old 12-05-18, 08:56 AM
SSworks
Driver

LOL I am here taking notes too...
Old 12-05-18, 09:34 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

A quirk: some models with the 3.5-liter engine have a bit of a whiny sound to the engine. A lot of people assume the fuel pump or transmission is making this sound, but it seems totally normal.
Old 12-05-18, 09:41 AM
SSworks
Driver

I tend to get that whiny sound after stretching her legs well into the triple digits LOL, I am thinking its the trans with hot fluids.
Old 12-05-18, 09:44 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by SSworks
I tend to get that whiny sound after stretching her legs well into the triple digits LOL, I am thinking its the trans with hot fluids.
.... Yeah that's not what I meant at all.

The engine has this high-pitched sound at lower RPM. It fades when you get into higher revs (I'd say it goes away at about 3500). You can just rev it in neutral and hear that sound.
Old 12-05-18, 09:47 AM
SSworks
Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
.... Yeah that's not what I meant at all.

The engine has this high-pitched sound at lower RPM. It fades when you get into higher revs (I'd say it goes away at about 3500). You can just rev it in neutral and hear that sound.
LOL ohh no I don't have that sound even before i installed the Indivia Q300. my whiny sound comes from when i get the transmission really hot.
Old 12-05-18, 09:49 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I wish there was a way to turn on and off the adaptive cruise part of the cruise control.

traction control, turns off only briefly, and must be at pretty much standstill to turn it off. That's annoying to me

memory seats. It's kinda stupid that it's not included with the price considering pretty much all its competitors have it standard. I mean, my 04 bmw had it.

digital clock on the cluster would be nice.

remote start takeover, apparently viper systems dont have this issue.

apple carplay/android auto

rear seat heaters. If they're putting it in something like a kia or Hyundai, it should be on a Lexus.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen quirks