IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Takeda vs. F-Sport intake for CA Car

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-18, 09:49 AM
taktiks
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Takeda vs. F-Sport intake for CA Car

Debating on which one to pick up in the next couple weeks. Although more intake noise would be great, having that CARB exempt sticker for the F-sport intake would be much less of a headache come smog time.

Anybody have any input? I've searched around and its mostly comparing the noise (or sometimes lack of noise) and nothing really about real world performance and issues with smog inspections in California. Any help deciding would be great. TIA!
Old 10-30-18, 09:59 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,573 Posts

I would go F Sport hands down. Only Lexus has access to their internal testing done with supercomputers plotting airflow down to the molecular level. Carb exempt sticker is icing on the cake!

Keep a classy look, gain a great sound, and stay legal. what's not to like?
Old 10-30-18, 11:07 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

We are team Takeda.

Let us know if you're interested.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 10-30-18, 11:43 AM
TOPENDMS
Former Sponsor

Received 117 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I would go F Sport hands down. Only Lexus has access to their internal testing done with supercomputers plotting airflow down to the molecular level. Carb exempt sticker is icing on the cake!

We think alike.. 😎

Is the OEM and F Sport filter the same shape? If so I will probably get creative with the F Sport pipe and box cover, but a TOMs Racing Filter.
Old 10-30-18, 12:18 PM
truu
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Thinking about getting an aftermarket intake as well but i know that mine has some sort of sound generator with an outlet directed towards the cabin. My question is, would getting an aftermarket air intake make it quieter than OEM?

Last edited by truu; 10-30-18 at 12:25 PM.
Old 10-30-18, 01:15 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the takeda/aFe intake on the 2IS and overall it was great, just make sure its the dry filter option. Sounded great WOT too

IMO i feel like its a waste to get the F-sport intake because there isnt added noticable sound and/or power.. You can get the JoeZ pipe with a new drop-in filter to get the same affect as the F-Sport intake.
Old 10-30-18, 01:35 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,573 Posts

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS
We think alike.. ��

Is the OEM and F Sport filter the same shape? If so I will probably get creative with the F Sport pipe and box cover, but a TOMs Racing Filter.
It seems to be the same shape.From what I can tell The poor man's way to achieve an F Sport setup is getting the F sport drop in filter, and cutting a square out (slightly wider than taller) of the intake box lower half. This is the way the extra induction noise is achieved. Also don't forget to remove the charcoal filter in the upper box. I am not 100% certain about the pipe diameter but I suspect it's very similar if not the same.
Old 10-30-18, 04:34 PM
taktiks
Driver

Thanks all. Since nobody with the Takeda intake in CA has posted up their SMOG experience, I will probably go with the F-sport intake. So much less headache come inspection time as long as they don't flag my exhaust on the visual.
Old 10-30-18, 08:48 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by taktiks
Thanks all. Since nobody with the Takeda intake in CA has posted up their SMOG experience, I will probably go with the F-sport intake. So much less headache come inspection time as long as they don't flag my exhaust on the visual.
If it’s a genuine Lexus F Sport intake you won’t get flagged.
Old 10-31-18, 08:40 AM
taktiks
Driver

Originally Posted by Flash5

If it’s a genuine Lexus F Sport intake you won’t get flagged.
Not on the intake, on my exhaust. I've heard of a few people getting flagged on the visual for their cat-back setups.
Old 10-31-18, 08:54 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 457 Likes on 367 Posts

Not on the intake, on my exhaust. I've heard of a few people getting flagged on the visual for their cat-back setups.
Hmm, no idea on that one. I have an aftermarket axleback but didn’t mess with the midpipe.
Old 10-31-18, 01:26 PM
eyecue
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Debating on which one to pick up in the next couple weeks. Although more intake noise would be great, having that CARB exempt sticker for the F-sport intake would be much less of a headache come smog time.

Anybody have any input? I've searched around and its mostly comparing the noise (or sometimes lack of noise) and nothing really about real world performance and issues with smog inspections in California. Any help deciding would be great. TIA!

I recently installed the F-Sport Intake. FYI Sound wise your car gets less loud since the noise maker is removed.
Old 11-02-18, 09:31 AM
SickAF
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Same sound?

Originally Posted by E46CT

hey bro do you have one installed? I work at Lexus and can get a discount, just wondering if the F Sport intake is 'as loud' as other SRIs since it is legal.
Old 11-02-18, 09:34 AM
SickAF
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Legal

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
I had the takeda/aFe intake on the 2IS and overall it was great, just make sure its the dry filter option. Sounded great WOT too

IMO i feel like its a waste to get the F-sport intake because there isnt added noticable sound and/or power.. You can get the JoeZ pipe with a new drop-in filter to get the same affect as the F-Sport intake.
Do you happen to live in CA? Its not legal here, tried buying the Takeda on Amazon but it doesnt let me ship to my address
Old 11-02-18, 10:09 AM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That's weird you couldnt purchase it... I got mine locally when i was in the bay area.. Now im located in SoCal... 100% you're able to purchase it here haha

Quick Reply: Takeda vs. F-Sport intake for CA Car