ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present-249/)
-   -   Takeda vs. F-Sport intake for CA Car (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-3rd-gen-2014-present/903328-takeda-vs-f-sport-intake-for-ca-car.html)

taktiks 10-30-18 09:49 AM

Takeda vs. F-Sport intake for CA Car

Debating on which one to pick up in the next couple weeks. Although more intake noise would be great, having that CARB exempt sticker for the F-sport intake would be much less of a headache come smog time.

Anybody have any input? I've searched around and its mostly comparing the noise (or sometimes lack of noise) and nothing really about real world performance and issues with smog inspections in California. Any help deciding would be great. TIA!

E46CT 10-30-18 09:59 AM

I would go F Sport hands down. Only Lexus has access to their internal testing done with supercomputers plotting airflow down to the molecular level. Carb exempt sticker is icing on the cake!

Keep a classy look, gain a great sound, and stay legal. what's not to like?

Meraki Autoworks 10-30-18 11:07 AM

We are team Takeda. :)

Let us know if you're interested.

-Josh

TOPENDMS 10-30-18 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10346956)
I would go F Sport hands down. Only Lexus has access to their internal testing done with supercomputers plotting airflow down to the molecular level. Carb exempt sticker is icing on the cake!

We think alike.. 😎

Is the OEM and F Sport filter the same shape? If so I will probably get creative with the F Sport pipe and box cover, but a TOMs Racing Filter.

truu 10-30-18 12:18 PM

Thinking about getting an aftermarket intake as well but i know that mine has some sort of sound generator with an outlet directed towards the cabin. My question is, would getting an aftermarket air intake make it quieter than OEM?

ExTrEmE99 10-30-18 01:15 PM

I had the takeda/aFe intake on the 2IS and overall it was great, just make sure its the dry filter option. Sounded great WOT too

IMO i feel like its a waste to get the F-sport intake because there isnt added noticable sound and/or power.. You can get the JoeZ pipe with a new drop-in filter to get the same affect as the F-Sport intake.

E46CT 10-30-18 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by TOPENDMS (Post 10347050)
We think alike.. ��

Is the OEM and F Sport filter the same shape? If so I will probably get creative with the F Sport pipe and box cover, but a TOMs Racing Filter.

It seems to be the same shape.From what I can tell The poor man's way to achieve an F Sport setup is getting the F sport drop in filter, and cutting a square out (slightly wider than taller) of the intake box lower half. This is the way the extra induction noise is achieved. Also don't forget to remove the charcoal filter in the upper box. I am not 100% certain about the pipe diameter but I suspect it's very similar if not the same.

taktiks 10-30-18 04:34 PM

Thanks all. Since nobody with the Takeda intake in CA has posted up their SMOG experience, I will probably go with the F-sport intake. So much less headache come inspection time as long as they don't flag my exhaust on the visual.

Flash5 10-30-18 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by taktiks (Post 10347300)
Thanks all. Since nobody with the Takeda intake in CA has posted up their SMOG experience, I will probably go with the F-sport intake. So much less headache come inspection time as long as they don't flag my exhaust on the visual.

If it’s a genuine Lexus F Sport intake you won’t get flagged. :thumbup:

taktiks 10-31-18 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Flash5 (Post 10347465)

If it’s a genuine Lexus F Sport intake you won’t get flagged. :thumbup:

Not on the intake, on my exhaust. I've heard of a few people getting flagged on the visual for their cat-back setups.

Flash5 10-31-18 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by taktiks (Post 10347765)
Not on the intake, on my exhaust. I've heard of a few people getting flagged on the visual for their cat-back setups.

Hmm, no idea on that one. I have an aftermarket axleback but didn’t mess with the midpipe.

eyecue 10-31-18 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by taktiks (Post 10346943)
Debating on which one to pick up in the next couple weeks. Although more intake noise would be great, having that CARB exempt sticker for the F-sport intake would be much less of a headache come smog time.

Anybody have any input? I've searched around and its mostly comparing the noise (or sometimes lack of noise) and nothing really about real world performance and issues with smog inspections in California. Any help deciding would be great. TIA!

I recently installed the F-Sport Intake. FYI Sound wise your car gets less loud since the noise maker is removed.

SickAF 11-02-18 09:31 AM

Same sound?

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10346956)

hey bro do you have one installed? I work at Lexus and can get a discount, just wondering if the F Sport intake is 'as loud' as other SRIs since it is legal.

SickAF 11-02-18 09:34 AM

Legal

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99 (Post 10347130)
I had the takeda/aFe intake on the 2IS and overall it was great, just make sure its the dry filter option. Sounded great WOT too

IMO i feel like its a waste to get the F-sport intake because there isnt added noticable sound and/or power.. You can get the JoeZ pipe with a new drop-in filter to get the same affect as the F-Sport intake.

Do you happen to live in CA? Its not legal here, tried buying the Takeda on Amazon but it doesnt let me ship to my address :(

ExTrEmE99 11-02-18 10:09 AM

That's weird you couldnt purchase it... I got mine locally when i was in the bay area.. Now im located in SoCal... 100% you're able to purchase it here haha