Tire wear... IS350 f-sport 2017

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-18, 11:52 AM
Tolerant
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire wear... IS350 f-sport 2017

Hello,

I am aware of the aggressive wearing in the tires of the IS350.. but I find this fairly extreme. I bought this car just over a year ago & have been loving it ever since..

I am currently sitting at nearly 45,000km and I replaced both my front tires just about 8000km ago with brand new bridgestones from Lexus with the rim protect. I do mostly straight highway/freeway driving and my rear tires were wearing normally nothing extreme or aggressive. Matter of fact they were still in great shape as per the service technician at the time.

The stated I should do an alignment at this time and I did.. through the dealership.. and now 8,000km later both my rear tires are COMPLETELY demolished on the insides. Something does not seem right with this... has anyone else experienced something similar with their rear wheels? Photo of one of them taken at the dealership below.

Old 10-12-18, 12:33 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,655 Posts

I posted about this. Extremely common and normal. It's a long-winded discussion but moral of the story is it's by design, and normal. You have to pay to play.

Check out Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires. Cheap and great performance. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tire-wear.html

glad you caught it in time before resulted in a blow out.

You wasted money on the alignment btw. dealer probably knows this. free profit for them.
Old 10-12-18, 12:49 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,896 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I posted about this. Extremely common and normal. It's a long-winded discussion but moral of the story is it's by design, and normal. You have to pay to play.

Check out Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires. Cheap and great performance. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...tire-wear.html

glad you caught it in time before resulted in a blow out.

You wasted money on the alignment btw. dealer probably knows this. free profit for them.
Yeah the alignment thing is a problem now that I think about it. The fact that inner tire wear is so common on the IS means that deciding whether an alignment is necessary means doing an actual alignment check rather than just assuming based on the tires. Something to keep in mind. Alignment checks have always been free in my experience, so it doesn't hurt to have them done once in a while.
Old 10-12-18, 01:41 PM
Tolerant
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys.. I guess it is what it is with these. Worth it every time the car makes me smile 😊.
Old 10-12-18, 09:07 PM
silvoxer
Driver School Candidate

Are yours OEM? OEM's are not very good
Old 10-13-18, 09:32 AM
unioncorps
Intermediate

Received 76 Likes on 53 Posts

Stupid question: I know inner tire wear is known for our cars, but does being AWD vs. RWD help with the inner tire wear at all (at least prolong it somewhat)? I have a 2018 IS350 F-Sport AWD.
Old 10-13-18, 12:23 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by unioncorps
Stupid question: I know inner tire wear is known for our cars, but does being AWD vs. RWD help with the inner tire wear at all (at least prolong it somewhat)? I have a 2018 IS350 F-Sport AWD.
I’ve noticed that the ‘17 and newer models haven’t been experiencing the front inner tire wear like the previous years, but like the OP, I’ve been seeing the rears wearing excessively still. I had this same issue, it’s a 17awd, right at 20k I believe, plenty of good tread front and back, just wore the rear inners like his. Replaced all four, but I believe the newer models don’t have the front issue as bad anymore is because they added the ability to adjust camber on the front end in ‘17. I could be wrong in this assumption, correct me if I am.
Old 10-13-18, 01:10 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by KYLexusMkr

I’ve noticed that the ‘17 and newer models haven’t been experiencing the front inner tire wear like the previous years, but like the OP, I’ve been seeing the rears wearing excessively still. I had this same issue, it’s a 17awd, right at 20k I believe, plenty of good tread front and back, just wore the rear inners like his. Replaced all four, but I believe the newer models don’t have the front issue as bad anymore is because they added the ability to adjust camber on the front end in ‘17. I could be wrong in this assumption, correct me if I am.
I wasn't aware of this being true. Can we adjust camber?
Old 10-13-18, 02:23 PM
mexicanzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 16 awd has adjustable front camber.
My fronts are wearing evenly after about 8000km since replacement. My rears are just starting to show inner wear. I'm likely going to flip the rear tires inside out since they aren't directional or asymmetrical. I think this is the best way to prolong their life.
My original tires lasted 33000km, but that was with another owner. I bought it with new tires and first thing I did was an alignment even though they said they did one.... It was way off on the front, toed out and camber was double what it should have been on LF. Rear was 0 toe. But I added toe in to combat the inner wear. So far so good.
Nice being a mechanic, all this is freeeeee.
Old 10-15-18, 08:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

17+ basically uses GS front suspension (which is 95% identical to IS suspension). Check the GS forums. Do they have tire wear? If so, you 17+ owners will too. From what I saw there's no difference in the bushing

Camber is not what's causing it. Besides, even if you could adjust camber to be more neutral (positive) that would defeat the entire purpose of this car. You may as well drive a Camry at that point.

I've wrote about this topic for years over at the BMW side. We experienced dynamic alignment change too just not to this degree. But enough to have swarms of angry complainers.

People want 911 performance but Camry wear. not happening. You can modify to mitigate, but not completely.
Old 10-15-18, 09:28 AM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

17+ basically uses GS front suspension (which is 95% identical to IS suspension). Check the GS forums. Do they have tire wear? If so, you 17+ owners will too. From what I saw there's no difference in the bushing

Camber is not what's causing it. Besides, even if you could adjust camber to be more neutral (positive) that would defeat the entire purpose of this car. You may as well drive a Camry at that point.

I've wrote about this topic for years over at the BMW side. We experienced dynamic alignment change too just not to this degree. But enough to have swarms of angry complainers.

People want 911 performance but Camry wear. not happening. You can modify to mitigate, but not completely.
No ones wants 911 performance. Everyone just wants 30-35k out of their tires not 10-15k. RRRACING needs to do a group buy on black friday for those bushings.
The following users liked this post:
MrJamison (10-25-18)
Old 10-15-18, 10:10 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SikhSipahi
No ones wants 911 performance.
if you bought this car, you want performance. the car models i used are just analogies.

the whole reason this car exists is because of the BMW 3 Series. This class of car is engineered to perform, thus the tire wear. Yes our cars wear a bit more than they should but on average, a performance sedan with staggered summer tires gets about 20-25k on a set of tires.

I got about 20k a set on my summer tires on my 3 Series. With both front and rear tires showing stronger inner wear than the rest of the tires. You can get 30-35k if you drive on some grandma all seasons.

You have to pay to play in this category. You can install those hard bushings and likely mitigate this problem to the degree you want, but you'll introduce another problem (among others): a lot of noise and vibration to your car... making it like the sports car you don't want. Professional GS-F/RC-F bushings are a good in-between.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. Either way the result you want will cost something. You just have to figure out how you'd like to pay.
Old 10-15-18, 11:35 AM
qua1ia
Driver School Candidate

if you bought this car, you want performance. the car models i used are just analogies.

the whole reason this car exists is because of the BMW 3 Series. This class of car is engineered to perform, thus the tire wear. Yes our cars wear a bit more than they should but on average, a performance sedan with staggered summer tires gets about 20-25k on a set of tires.

I got about 20k a set on my summer tires on my 3 Series. With both front and rear tires showing stronger inner wear than the rest of the tires. You can get 30-35k if you drive on some grandma all seasons.

You have to pay to play in this category. You can install those hard bushings and likely mitigate this problem to the degree you want, but you'll introduce another problem (among others): a lot of noise and vibration to your car... making it like the sports car you don't want. Professional GS-F/RC-F bushings are a good in-between.

Can't have your cake and eat it too. Either way the result you want will cost something. You just have to figure out how you'd like to pay.

I disagree. This is a design/engineering flaw. The tires can absolutely reach 30k+ if it was designed correctly on any all-season tire. The excuse that this is a performance sedan is not valid.
Old 10-15-18, 12:22 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,896 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by qua1ia
I disagree. This is a design/engineering flaw. The tires can absolutely reach 30k+ if it was designed correctly on any all-season tire. The excuse that this is a performance sedan is not valid.
You also have to remember that the stock tires are garbage for treadwear, whether you have the RWD or AWD. If you want a bit more longevity, throw some grand-touring tires on.
Old 10-15-18, 03:24 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by qua1ia
Nope. It's not a flaw. Not how that works. That is not up for debate.

Your idea of designed "correctly" is a Corolla or Camry where the performance bar is low. I won't spend much time on this but will summarize my response to you as: you're wrong. And I can say that objectively with absolute certainty. And I do not use any of those words lightly.

Is it ideal? No. It can be mitigated somewhat, but not to the point where you change the characteristics of the car or the class of this car for the worse. In this case, it's just a matter of suspension tuning. Get the GS-F bushings and mitigate it, but not eliminate it.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. Things that have high degrees of performance tend to wear fast. In high performance high dollar toys, fast wear is a badge of honor. Think race cars and fighter jets where part life is measured in hours. You have to pay to play.

Quick Reply: Tire wear... IS350 f-sport 2017