IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rear Wheel Camber

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-18, 01:51 PM
JoelsLexIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Wheel Camber

Hello everyone... The camber on my rear wheels seems to be a little on the negative side... I don't feel any issues while driving but I just got new tires about 3 months ago and I am starting to notice the inner side is wearing out a little more than the outer side.
Should this be considered normal?
Although both rear wheels seem to be equally negative (to the naked eye), I still don't think this is right.
That being said, I just thought I'd ask in case someone here knows something I don't know about this situation or in case someone else is experiencing the same thing.
(I am driving a 2016 Lexus IS 200t F Sport with the factory suspension.)
Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 04-09-18, 04:07 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,096 Likes on 1,582 Posts

I wouldn't call it aggressive, but yes there is slight negative camber and toe from the factory. it's on purpose because you bought a car that competes in the BMW 3 series segment. The tire wear is Completely normal and even sought after.

The inner can wear a little faster than on a 3 series due to Lexus-specific bushing tuning. but hey you've gotta pay to play.

my summer tires wore out in front at 15k miles. my rears are almost down to the bars at 18k. I suspect i can eek out 20k before the bars wear about even. 20k a set of tires was about average on my BMW 3 series (summer rubber)
Old 04-10-18, 01:00 PM
CLUM
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

inner wear just means you need to take corners harder so it wears more evenly
Old 04-10-18, 01:10 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,556 Likes on 1,825 Posts

Originally Posted by CLUM
inner wear just means you need to take corners harder so it wears more evenly
Ah, so that is why I don't have uneven rear tire wear.

I did have some cupping in the front. The techs did an alignment, and toed in my front wheels just slightly, in order to load up the outer edges more during cornering. We'll see if it helps - only had it like this for a couple of weeks, and it pretty much feels the same, maybe just a bit heavier feel on-center.
Old 04-13-18, 08:45 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Factory rear camber is set at roughly -1.5, which is not bad at all for the wear. You would be saving maybe 2-4k miles if you were to install a camber arm and lower the camber to -.5 to -1.0.

Probably not worth it for saving tire life, but definitely worth it if you are looking to improve over steering and if you are lowered with more than -2.0 of camber.
Old 04-13-18, 05:55 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
What causes negative camber at rest?
Poor design of camber pattern.
Could you clarify if that's a question with the answer, or a question followed by a statement.

If it's a question with the answer, then all cars have 'poor design of camber pattern'.
A car at rest is one sitting stationary, unless you have another definition of 'at rest'.
All cars have negative camber 'at rest'...whether it be -0.1 or -1.0...it's still negative.

You would be hard pressed to find a car with positive camber at rest, or any other time, other than when the suspension is unloaded, in modern cars.
Old 04-13-18, 08:14 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Could you clarify if that's a question with the answer, or a question followed by a statement.

If it's a question with the answer, then all cars have 'poor design of camber pattern'.
A car at rest is one sitting stationary, unless you have another definition of 'at rest'.
All cars have negative camber 'at rest'...whether it be -0.1 or -1.0...it's still negative.

You would be hard pressed to find a car with positive camber at rest, or any other time, other than when the suspension is unloaded, in modern cars.
So true, Sasnuke also knows about Suspension now eh
Old 04-13-18, 08:34 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Guys every cars came to our shop has little of inner wear, worst was outer wear, mostly in the front, Ford GM Cadillac Escalade BMW Merc Lexus Toyota Nissan Honda Infiniti , i don't know why you guys keep on complaining about tires wear, most modern tires designed to last 3-4 years and depend on KM/Mile you drive, most Tire Engineer stated in the manual very clearly tire lasts 30/40k miles , 70/80k km . its 2018 not 1998. Michellin sucks they wear out super fast, buy Continental or Yokohama .

my Yokohoma tires stated a warning sign "DO NOT over inflate 40PSI" Lexus IS 3rd gen recommend 36 PSI cold, well i have seen PEOPLE on here told members to inflate 50 PSI, don't try to out smart the maker, they built it they know it ! and your inflation does effect tire's wear.

Again and again, my Brand new Yokohama Tires bought 16 months ago around 34k KM, 21k miles , still looks new, wheel balance should be done in every 10-12k miles, wheel alignment should be done once per 2 years or 20k miles, a pot hole can knock off your alignment's specs did you know ? those who don't dodge Pothole or slow on speed bump will pay a prize, Government implemented Speed bump for reason, not just alignment but will damage your Wheel bearing in a long run as well.
Old 04-14-18, 11:05 AM
JoelsLexIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alignment all good!

So a couple days after starting this thread, I took my car into the dealership to get my alignment double checked and everything was still within the factory settings.
So that slightly negative camber I was seeing on my rear wheels is considered normal for my car. (2016 Lexus IS 200t F Sport)