IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Getting muffler delete tmrw.. extremely nervous

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-18, 04:03 PM
swaangin
Racer

Received 376 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Getting muffler delete tmrw.. extremely nervous

Hey everyone, getting a muffler delete on my 2015 IS 250, at 19K miles right now.. I am worried that an issue won't arise with the car and Lexus will void the warranty for it. Can anyone give me some words of advice? Open to anything.
Old 03-13-18, 10:04 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

best advice? don't do it.
Old 03-13-18, 11:27 PM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

If you keep your mufflers after they chop it off, they can reweld them back on there if you decide to go back. Can't speak for voiding warranties as I'm already outside of warranty. I think the cost of a muffler delete and getting some nice tips to pair is just slightly cheaper than buying a new axleback setup that's on sale. If you're paranoid about warranty have you considered getting an aftermarket exhaust setup when it's on sale?
Old 03-14-18, 01:04 PM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

GOD SPEED lol, don't forget to upload a sound clip
Old 03-14-18, 07:19 PM
swaangin
Racer

I didn't end up going through with it yet, I posted this in the performance page but no one answered but I wanted to know about this:

I saw one post specifically about someone who lost a noticeable amount of low end torque after his/her muffler delete because there was a decrease in 'back pressure'. The IS 250 already has low torque so I don't want to install it and have to deal with this. The mechanic said that it strictly effects sound only. My friend also said that there are so many restrictions in the exhaust already (primary cats > secondary cats > resonators> mufflers) so there would instead have a no effect to a slight increase in performance. Can someone shed some light on this please?
Old 03-15-18, 05:48 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

First off warranty, the only warranty that will be affected is the warranty on your exhaust. They can’t deny warranty on the whole car just because you modified the exhaust.

Secondly, deleting the mufflers will give you a severe drone. So think twice about it. Better to spend money on an engineered system that can be easily removed without special tools and equipment. You can always sell it and re coup some of your money if you don’t like it.
Old 03-16-18, 04:46 AM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Don’t do it. I regretted it and wasted money.
Old 03-16-18, 06:20 AM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with most of the people here, if you want a louder setup get a axel back. Muffler deletes on a 350 at least gives a lot of drone and makes the car really loud.
Old 03-16-18, 07:54 AM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Get what ever exhaust you want up to and including a full delete. Don’t let them chop anything though. Unbolt your factory gear. They can bend pipes and weld a flang to it if they have any idea what they are doing. If it’s to loud or has to much of a drone you can swap back.
Old 03-17-18, 01:26 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by tea
best advice? don't do it.
So, this.

If you mess with the exhaust and the car is under warranty, it's probable that your claim will be denied. I have RSR Down springs and 19" wheels and I think they would deny a warranty item if it happened to be related to suspension. I don't think they could deny much else, but some dealers adhere pretty strictly to the car needing to be just as it rolled off the lot for there to be any legitimate warranty issue.

I don't think a V6 is a great engine as far as sound goes. Most V8s are pretty good, but even the NSX V6 sounds kind of crappy with modified exhaust. I've owned both the 2.5 V6 and the 3.5 V6 and would not modify the exhaust on either. I think both sound fine from the factory and they don't have the drone of the Nissan/Infiniti V6. I certainly wouldn't want it any louder, but I am 47. I still think the modification you're suggesting will cause warranty problems and I don't see the point of it.
Old 03-17-18, 05:49 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by swaangin
I didn't end up going through with it yet, I posted this in the performance page but no one answered but I wanted to know about this:

I saw one post specifically about someone who lost a noticeable amount of low end torque after his/her muffler delete because there was a decrease in 'back pressure'. The IS 250 already has low torque so I don't want to install it and have to deal with this. The mechanic said that it strictly effects sound only. My friend also said that there are so many restrictions in the exhaust already (primary cats > secondary cats > resonators> mufflers) so there would instead have a no effect to a slight increase in performance. Can someone shed some light on this please?
Your mechanic is right, muffler delete only effects noise no torque effects nor Horsepower, even aftermarket muffler alone won't effect anything but noise, that guy said the lost torque, as you know some people living in delusion too much, from Header to Resonator i would say maybe, but Muffler No ! muffler's job is to reduce drone and loud noise. But if you decide to delete your muffler, get an aftermarket midpipe too , the sound will be same as V10 lol LC500 or V8 Mustang GT
Old 03-18-18, 08:33 PM
swaangin
Racer

Thanks for the advice guys!
Old 03-19-18, 02:53 PM
xxg00w0
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post some video
Old 03-20-18, 12:11 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Just keep it stock. I don't get why people want to draw attention to a slow car. A premium slow car at that!
Old 03-23-18, 07:36 AM
glerink
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Just keep it stock. I don't get why people want to draw attention to a slow car. A premium slow car at that!
because racecar

Quick Reply: Getting muffler delete tmrw.. extremely nervous