Just got another IS.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-18, 09:35 AM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Just got another IS.

Hi guys,

I’ve been a member for some time already, I went for an oil change last week and my sales lady got me a really good deal on 2018 is 350AWD 3 series, I used to own a 2015 is 250AWD 3 series as well, my car was in immaculate condition so the trade in value was really high and I used it as downpayment towards the 350, I have a question, I was driving the car during the weekend and I know that the gas mileage in 250s were bad but I feel the 350 is even worse is this my perception or is anything I might be doing wrong? I drive in ecomode for now just to check the gas mileage, I read some threads and looks like some people is getting good mileage in 350s, I wanted this car because the power and I knew that gas won’t be the same, but I also read they were close to the 250s, any tips you guys want to share with me?

Thabks in advance.

BTW I’m Canada.

Old 03-12-18, 09:42 AM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I get about 19MPG in typical Los Angeles traffic.

I think my RX350 SUV with a very similar motor gets better MPG than my IS....
Old 03-12-18, 09:46 AM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by skiracer
I get about 19MPG in typical Los Angeles traffic.

I think my RX350 SUV with a very similar motor gets better MPG than my IS....
I starting to think that my decision of signing for the car was more emotional rather than rational, right now in Vancouver we have the most expensive gas prices in North America, I honestly thought that the gas mileage was better.
Old 03-12-18, 09:46 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Makool
Hi guys,

I’ve been a member for some time already, I went for an oil change last week and my sales lady got me a really good deal on 2018 is 350AWD 3 series, I used to own a 2015 is 250AWD 3 series as well, my car was in immaculate condition so the trade in value was really high and I used it as downpayment towards the 350, I have a question, I was driving the car during the weekend and I know that the gas mileage in 250s were bad but I feel the 350 is even worse is this my perception or is anything I might be doing wrong? I drive in ecomode for now just to check the gas mileage, I read some threads and looks like some people is getting good mileage in 350s, I wanted this car because the power and I knew that gas won’t be the same, but I also read they were close to the 250s, any tips you guys want to share with me?

Thabks in advance.

BTW I’m Canada.
Congrats on the new ride!
Assuming the vehicle is brand new, it will take a little bit of driving before you start to achieve the normal fuel consumption.
Having had a few Toyotas from brand new, it usually took to about 10K kms before I started to see the rated fuel consumption, or close to it as the vehicle can get.
Sounds like you've only had the car for a weekend+, so not really a big enough sample to determine fuel consumption yet.
Also, the onboard fuel consumption is great to have, but definitely not the defining factor for the fuel consumption...you're way better off calculating distance traveled versus fuel filled, after you run down that first tank, or second tank at least...so you know exactly what gas went into it.
Old 03-12-18, 09:50 AM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Congrats on the new ride!
Assuming the vehicle is brand new, it will take a little bit of driving before you start to achieve the normal fuel consumption.
Having had a few Toyotas from brand new, it usually took to about 10K kms before I started to see the rated fuel consumption, or close to it as the vehicle can get.
Sounds like you've only had the car for a weekend+, so not really a big enough sample to determine fuel consumption yet.
Also, the onboard fuel consumption is great to have, but definitely not the defining factor for the fuel consumption...you're way better off calculating distance traveled versus fuel filled, after you run down that first tank, or second tank at least...so you know exactly what gas went into it.
Thanks for your tip, I’ll follow your suggestion, yes this is my first weekend driving it, and already has less than half tank a little up of a quarter, so far has about 150Kms consumed in almost 3/4 of a tank, thats brutal consumption.
Old 03-12-18, 09:57 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Thanks for your tip, I’ll follow your suggestion, yes this is my first weekend driving it, and already has less than half tank a little up of a quarter, so far has about 150Kms consumed in almost 3/4 of a tank, thats brutal consumption.
Ouch! Makes me think the vehicle isn't filled with Premium fuel...but of course you didn't fill it, soooo...
Yeah...run this tank out completely and then start checking from there.

I have a 250, and honestly never check the consumption as I don't drive it a lot (Average 10k kms per year)...i get about 525-550 kms per tank with Shell Gold.
And I usually drive it til the warning light comes on. I should really check it one day lol
Old 03-12-18, 10:03 AM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Ouch! Makes me think the vehicle isn't filled with Premium fuel...but of course you didn't fill it, soooo...
Yeah...run this tank out completely and then start checking from there.

I have a 250, and honestly never check the consumption as I don't drive it a lot (Average 10k kms per year)...i get about 525-550 kms per tank with Shell Gold.
And I usually drive it til the warning light comes on. I should really check it one day lol

That is a really good number, I never had that with my IS 250, yea I think I’ll burn this tank or wherever is left and start from scratch, they said they put premium but that’s is really bad consumption for premium fuel in a new engine.

I better stop buying that coffee every morning lol.

thanks for your tip!!
Old 03-12-18, 10:47 AM
ChineseKFC
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep that 150.9 in Vancouver is really hurting, usually with i would only get close to advertised mpg with lots of highway driving, congrats on the new car!
Old 03-12-18, 10:55 AM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ChineseKFC
Yep that 150.9 in Vancouver is really hurting, usually with i would only get close to advertised mpg with lots of highway driving, congrats on the new car!
So most likely city driving will be a killing, that 150.9 is for regular, supreme goes close to 1.80$ per litre, I hope my mileage gets a little better.

thanks for sharing!!
Old 03-12-18, 11:05 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Is this still the tank of gas the dealer put in it?

They often use lower grade gasoline, so bear that in mind. Also, if it was on the lot with this tank, it could have had lots of idling, using up the gas without adding any miles. Definitely fill it up with good quality gas and give it a little time. Granted you have the 2GR-FKS engine whereas I had the 2GR-FSE in my IS350, I achieved pretty good/normal results right from the start. However, my GS, also with the 2GR-FSE took some break-in time to improve mileage.

Congrats on the car, by the way. Love Atomic Silver (that's what I have on my GS).
Old 03-12-18, 11:39 AM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by JDR76
Is this still the tank of gas the dealer put in it?

They often use lower grade gasoline, so bear that in mind. Also, if it was on the lot with this tank, it could have had lots of idling, using up the gas without adding any miles. Definitely fill it up with good quality gas and give it a little time. Granted you have the 2GR-FKS engine whereas I had the 2GR-FSE in my IS350, I achieved pretty good/normal results right from the start. However, my GS, also with the 2GR-FSE took some break-in time to improve mileage.

Congrats on the car, by the way. Love Atomic Silver (that's what I have on my GS).
Thanks JDR76, my last IS was also atomic silver I really like that color, thanks for the info, I’m going to burn that tank of gas and start with a good quality one, I hope I can get better mileage than what I’m having now.

Cheers
Old 03-12-18, 12:09 PM
3ISOwner
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Also remember having AWD will use a little bit more gas than RWD
Old 03-12-18, 12:14 PM
F7LTHYIS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 2014 and i'm getting about the same mileage as you apparently its"normal" to the tech over at my lexus dealership. After driving a while i'm getting about 250-300KM a tank
Old 03-12-18, 12:26 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by F7LTHYIS
i have a 2014 and i'm getting about the same mileage as you apparently its"normal" to the tech over at my lexus dealership. After driving a while i'm getting about 250-300KM a tank
Man that’s really low, I took this desicion based on some comments regarding the 250 AWD compared to the 350 AWD, I mean gas wise, much of them were saying that mileage was pretty close, but now I’m just realizing that is much worse.

Well I guess I have to swallow the bullet now.

Thanks

Old 03-12-18, 12:28 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by 3ISOwner
Also remember having AWD will use a little bit more gas than RWD
Yes, I think I read something about that, I honestly thought that mileage would be a little more than the 250AWD.

Quick Reply: Just got another IS.