IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Gauge cluster swap

Old 10-15-18, 11:48 AM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bgeims
My IS has factory navigation and the cluster I bought came from a vehicle with factory navigation. There is a blue connector on the back of the cluster that is used for navigation information. I’m sure the cluster would operate, but you may have an error message and/or an unusable navigation menu.
I'm finally going to be installing my cluster in the next 10 days or so I'll reach the exact milage. Someone posted in another thread this questions. You have any idea?

In BMW world the vin# in the cluster EEPROM has to match the vin# in the DME (ECU) or a tamper dot (code) will appear and it'll show the cluster is tampered with. and that's on a 15 year old car. i'm sure lexus has something more sophisticated nowadays??
Old 10-16-18, 06:40 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You people are nuts. It's worse.
Old 10-16-18, 06:44 PM
dkotoric
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dizlex
You people are nuts. It's worse.
Why is that.
Old 02-18-19, 03:57 AM
Sonn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

So I did swap a base is250 with a 350 fsport instrument cluster. Everything works, but I get the warning lights turn on every time. Check for vgrs and pcs. I don't know how to remove these error as my car doesn't come with those system.
Old 02-18-19, 01:30 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonn
So I did swap a base is250 with a 350 fsport instrument cluster. Everything works, but I get the warning lights turn on every time. Check for vgrs and pcs. I don't know how to remove these error as my car doesn't come with those system.
Did you get a 350 cluster from the same year as your 250? Do you know the part numbers of each cluster? Do you have a Techstream to check the codes?
Old 02-18-19, 01:43 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I disagree - I would much rather have the F Sport gauges compared to the vanilla-looking ones in the non-F Sport models, with their small center screen. It's a nice wow factor any time someone new gets in my car
I agree with you. As far as comments about it being prone to failure, I thought that might be the case, but I use the sliding function so rarely that I'm not really all that concerned about it.
Old 02-19-19, 02:38 AM
Sonn
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Did you get a 350 cluster from the same year as your 250? Do you know the part numbers of each cluster? Do you have a Techstream to check the codes?
Not yet trying to find a way to turn off the warning light. Other than that, everything else works fine.
Old 02-19-19, 04:29 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonn
Not yet trying to find a way to turn off the warning light. Other than that, everything else works fine.
The warning lights are on because there is a code in the system triggering the light.
If you can find out what the code is, it might give you an idea of what needs to be done to clear the light...or at least trick it into clearing.

Honestly if you had gotten the 250 F Sport cluster from a vehicle the same year as yours, then everything would have been fine...no lights.
Old 02-20-19, 12:39 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Frankly, I'd probably rather have the traditional cluster. Have always had the dual gauges in all my cars... maybe just tradition, but it looks far more sporty instead of techno, imo.
Old 02-20-19, 01:05 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Frankly, I'd probably rather have the traditional cluster. Have always had the dual gauges in all my cars... maybe just tradition, but it looks far more sporty instead of techno, imo.
F Sport cluster is definitely way cooler and sporty IMO. I haven’t met anyone who has said the IS dash would look better with the traditional tachs.
Old 02-20-19, 07:29 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Flash5

F Sport cluster is definitely way cooler and sporty IMO. I haven’t met anyone who has said the IS dash would look better with the traditional tachs.
Your wait it over!

That being said, I haven't driven with it at all, but it looks like you get things like the mini-map without having to slide the main gauge, and a lot of the other info given isn't all that necessary or important. Then again, maybe I'm just ooooold and stodgy...
Old 02-20-19, 07:38 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicAWD
Your wait it over!

That being said, I haven't driven with it at all, but it looks like you get things like the mini-map without having to slide the main gauge, and a lot of the other info given isn't all that necessary or important. Then again, maybe I'm just ooooold and stodgy...
Lol I have to say that might play into it haha. The digital cluster is definitely stunning compared to the manual tachs. It might be my favorite part of the IS since I look at it everytime I’m driving it.
Old 02-20-19, 07:43 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Lol I have to say that might play into it haha. The digital cluster is definitely stunning compared to the manual tachs. It might be my favorite part of the IS since I look at it everytime I’m driving it.
Interestingly, it was maybe the one downside of F-Sport for me. The outside looks, seats, etc. are all better than base, although apparently things like rain-sensing wipers were only available on the base in 2014. That's also a thing to ponder -- while we obviously want a car pleasing to look at, in fact we spend a whole lot more time inside it than we do looking at it from the outside. But even if it had a "perfect" interior, the lesser looks would still bug me to no end.
Old 02-20-19, 08:54 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,484 Likes on 1,795 Posts

It's a nice party trick for sure. Especially the moving ring.

But even in daily use, I like it. Very easy to read and bright. And I like being able to use it for a slightly clearer view of turn-by-turn nav whilst controlling music on the other screen... things like that.
Old 02-20-19, 09:15 AM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by arentz07
It's a nice party trick for sure. Especially the moving ring.

But even in daily use, I like it. Very easy to read and bright. And I like being able to use it for a slightly clearer view of turn-by-turn nav whilst controlling music on the other screen... things like that.
I found that a great feature as well so you don't have to keep diverting your eyes, although I believe it is there on the standard gauges too and doesn't require changing the cluster either. Not having ever used them though, not sure how much functionality is lost versus the F-Sport.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauge cluster swap