IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

OEM Audio System Install/Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-18, 08:42 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by MacroZed
Just completed the RF P300-12 sub install. Took my time, and used an 8 ga. install kit and ran all the wires through plastic conduits.
The thing sounds pretty good for a $200 set-up. The car definitely sounds a hell of a lot better.

I did, as I previously mentioned, mount the remote sub **** in the dash blank on the left side of the driver's dash.

Pics:

The board removed from the housing. I just used a pick tool to scrape away the glue that they used to keep it in place. I'll also use the same kind of stuff to mount it to the blank.

Back side of the circuit board. Super simple.

The blank and the circuit board trimmed. Be careful not to trim the blank too much. The sections that you see that I left after trimming is critical for the blank to keep its structural integrity.

I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive to secure the circuit board to the dash blank. It's really the only way to get it to stay. Whatever size the potentiometer nut is, I didn't have one, and I know that it uses a really weird size, so screw that (a pun!).

Here it is, in the dash. It doesn't look centered, but it is.

It wasn't a hard job, but I did take my time trimming the blank and checking fit often.
What a douche.... now Im gonna have to change my ****... lol.... Damn nice job dude!!!!!! The nut is probably the genric super thin one that is used on all auto toggle switches, but it would have been silver and not looked as good with it on there. You did good!!! Did you route the wire down the side door sills?? or down the middle under the console?
Old 10-28-18, 08:19 AM
MacroZed
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
What a douche.... now Im gonna have to change my ****... lol.... Damn nice job dude!!!!!! The nut is probably the genric super thin one that is used on all auto toggle switches, but it would have been silver and not looked as good with it on there. You did good!!! Did you route the wire down the side door sills?? or down the middle under the console?
I ran the remote wire down the door sills. The wire is long enough to go down the center too, I would assume.

I still need to figure out a way to secure the box in the trunk. I don't want the thing moving or tipping over.
I'm pretty sure that I will end up using a bungee cord anchored to something under the rear deck, but I haven't taken the trim off to see what can be done there yet.

Old 10-29-18, 02:57 PM
MacroZed
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I was able to secure the sub so that the thing will not slide around or tip over.

I had my wife sew up a small pillow-like cushion, with a 2" thick foam block in it.

Wedged between the top of the sub enclosure and the under-side of the package tray, it looks like it'll keep the enclosure in place.

Pic:

Old 01-15-19, 11:47 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
My white 2014 IS 250 was the original test mule for the OEM Audio+ upgrade and that was a non-ML car (there may still be a photo of the car in their lobby). My 2016 was one of two IS350 test mules for the system and my 350 is an ML car. I believe the other owner's 350 is an ML car as well. They system sounds fantastic. I'm sure it drives the OEM guys a bit nuts that I mostly still listen to Sirius/XM radio. They don't like audio compression. I recommend the system. It is noticeably crisper and cleaner than just the ML audio system.
I watched the install video and sent an inquiry through their website but haven't had a response. They don't show any specs at all, so just trying to figure out what all the system does. Seems to be:

- same system whether or not one has ML
- new 8" sub with amp that replaces the stock 8"
- passive crossovers ("acoustic correction filters") on the front door woofers

Questions:

- do the passive crossovers cap both top and bottom of the woofers?
- what are the crossover points?
- no caps for the rear door woofers?
- are there existing caps on the stock system or are they running full-range? Would think there must be on the mids at least but it seems the woofers are running nearly full-range due to the over-abundance of mids and mid-bass.

I built custom stereos back in the 80s when boom cars were just getting going, and have to say the clarity of the ML is excellent but seems to clip rather easily so it's evidently pretty low-powered and not made to be blasted. By using 5 speakers of about the same size (~7"), it's overloaded with mid-bass and it can't be compensated for by the 3-band equalizer. If this system does cut them off it would certainly help balance and clarity, and if the new woofer in the enclosure is able to hit better lows they should be a good combination to provide cleaner mid and lower bass. The stock midrange is also overpowering but the squawk can be attenuated, which gives pretty decent mid and uppers, and the speakers on the dash give a nice soundstage. Really, for the ML it's just the mid/bass that needs fixing unless one wants a really high-power/volume system but that would basically involve redoing the entire system.

Price isn't bad considering you get (presumably) a tuned box, but I would really like to hear one of these somewhere. Is there someone there in particular I should contact for more info? Thanks.
The following users liked this post:
Ugur (08-19-20)
Old 01-16-19, 10:40 AM
camperkev
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up sending my original OEM Audio kit back as it wasn’t sounding right. After extensive testing and research, turns out they found that the 16-17ish Lexus amp wires to the sub was over driving their amp with too high of voltage as an input. Something had changed on Toyota’s end. I’m still waiting for the 2nd version they are working on. Hopefully soon to be shipped to me. I can’t disclose any info about the new set up that has been months in the making, but I have seen the pics of what is coming. I’m hopeful for more and better bass. I will put up pics and a review when I get the new version installed and the all clear to discuss the new stuff. The new set up is different than anyone has done before. All I can say is they are pleased with the new set up so far and sounds better than the original. Fingers crossed, I’ll keep ya’ll posted when I can disclose more.
Old 01-16-19, 12:25 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

That's the problem with using powered versus low-level lines, alright. Never the ideal solution but sometimes there aren't alternatives, which is usually the case when trying to add to proprietary OEM setups.

Are they doing a new system across the board for 3is or just 16+? In their video they said they go with 8" in their systems which is okay especially for size constraints but not ideal for the best bass response. A tuned 8" is okay but if they could possibly get a 10" to work it would be fantastic as you can tune them so much lower. Could cut out the rear shelf to fit it but the speaker might simply be too deep.

Also, should let them know that it is either impossible or very difficult to navigate to the system on their website. The only way I got to it was by goggling it then linking directly. They have it buried underneath the Toyota Tundra. Aside from the bass amp issues, how did the rest of the ML sound, with the capped woofers up front?
Old 01-16-19, 12:54 PM
camperkev
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New system will be across the board I would assume to work with 14+ IS models. They probably moved the link as to not have so many new IS cars having the issue I had out there. I will say, they are still using 8” size...... can’t say much else, but it does have the sound and weight of a 10” woofer, so I’m told. The design is to keep the trunk as open as original as it can be. Still no car cutting required except for the original carpet deck liner as previous design. As for the caps on the front door speaker woofers, the speakers work hard to produce the correct mids and highs out of it while it’s trying to produce lows. The caps fix the ”muddy” sound the factory speakers are trying to hit and clean up the highs very nicely, crisp and clear, but with no low bass it does sound worse with only the factory sub. The whole idea of their system is to increase the sound quality of the mid/high sounds from the front seat positions and increase the lows from the back to balance out the car. I drove for a few weeks with the caps in and factory sub and it was definitely missing the lows since the factory sub is too quiet coming from the rear. I removed the caps for now just to get back some bass in the front as the factory sub kinda lacks in the sound to the front of the car. Their line up isn’t to go BOOOOM, but they fix any flaws in the OEM sounds produced in each car. They do bench testings on all their designs, then install into that car to test the actual results for final tuning. I have seen the test results of their before and after sounds from the in car tests produced and the graph definitely fixes and levels out the frequency and decibels much better than factory. With that said, MY ears are all I care about in the end.
The following users liked this post:
AtomicAWD (01-16-19)
Old 01-16-19, 01:52 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Not sure the output of their amp (maybe 75-100W?), but while a single 8" is okay for a Scion it's pretty minimal for a sedan of this size no matter how hard it's driven or what it can handle, as it can only physical push so much air. I think my Z4 had two 7s or 8s, which of course was plenty in a small car.

Wonder if they could have designed the box with two 8s as that would certainly help system balance, but then we'd presumably have to nibble out space on the other side and their goal seems to be turn-key systems without even having to cut or crimp wires. But as I mentioned, it seems the ML can't really be driven too hard anyway as the amp seems to clip or the factory speakers give out, at even moderate volumes. The caps should certainly help the door woofers though as they just aren't suited to run full-range. Passive crossovers might sap some power but you more than gain that back in sound quality, which is my goal, too. It is a dedicated sub-amp with active crossover, yes?
Old 01-23-19, 04:53 PM
AtomicAWD
Lead Lap

Called OEM up today, and the guy I spoke with said he didn't know anything about redevelopment of the IS system and that it was still currently available. He confirmed that they only cap the front door speakers and leave the rear doors as is to provide ambiance. Interestingly the rear amp is a 4-channel so half of it isn't used. Asked about a second 8, but they figured the interior of the Lexus wasn't big enough to require it. Not sure what the 8 is worth but running two means that you effectively double the output and if it's overpowering the rest of the system you simply turn down the gain, which makes it run cleaner anyway. Ultimately listening to one is the only way to judge, but they sell direct so it may not be easy to find one somewhat local.

Rather odd that he wouldn't be aware of the redesign though, as they purportedly build them only when ordered so it's not like they'd have any stock to clear out. Looking forward to what they come out with if they are rejigging it, especially if they can pull more from the single 8.