IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

OEM Audio System Install/Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-18, 08:56 PM
vital
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That seems like a lot of work for an "OEM" audio install. Why not just get premium audio components and amp if you're going to take everything out?
Old 05-14-18, 02:09 PM
camperkev
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, after a LOT of thought, i've ordered up the OEM AUDIO + boost system for my 2017 IS350 with ML. I know a few people have wondered how much more it will give with the ML system, so i guess i'll find out in a couple weeks when it arrives. Fingers crossed!!
Old 05-15-18, 12:16 PM
yohan81718
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Website says 100W RMS. I'm not sure if it's worth the price but will like to get the review on the ML system.
Old 05-15-18, 06:31 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

that's too much trouble to go through to listen to AM sports-talk. think i'll pass.
Old 05-16-18, 04:39 PM
camperkev
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m not looking for big boom, been there and done that for a loooong time, previously 2-12” and over 1000watts. I’m hoping to balance out this system and give it some good quality bass that it lacks in my opinion. Apparently it does just that.... lack bass... or OEM AUDIO wouldn’t have made a upgrade to it. Never the less, everyone wants something different and that’s awesome to have a great variety of guys here. I’ll be honest, I’m really nervous of the money for what I’m getting, but reviews of every other system in all the brands they make are great and everyone likes them. Again, fingers crossed. I’ll be posting my thoughts after install.
The following users liked this post:
LexSense (05-16-18)
Old 10-17-18, 06:12 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I just added a Rockford Fosgate P300-12 to mine and retuned the system. Sounds loads better!!!
This is what I got, but you can find it cheaper other places... https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P30...h-P300-12.html
Old 10-18-18, 02:53 PM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilJoker
I just added a Rockford Fosgate P300-12 to mine and retuned the system. Sounds loads better!!!
This is what I got, but you can find it cheaper other places... https://www.crutchfield.com/p_575P30...h-P300-12.html
How's the trunk rattle with this? Do you think a 10 inch version would be sufficient or is 12 ideal? I'm definitely not thrilled with the bass response of the stock non ML system and this looks like an easy fix.
Old 10-18-18, 09:16 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bacon
How's the trunk rattle with this? Do you think a 10 inch version would be sufficient or is 12 ideal? I'm definitely not thrilled with the bass response of the stock non ML system and this looks like an easy fix.
I will be honest. The factory insulation on these cars is ****. I am adding some sound dampener this weekend, which will take care of all the rattles. Adding to the trunk lid, the side trim panels, the trunk floor, and the spare tire area, and some under the trunk trim under the factory sub. Will make a huge difference, and cost less than $100. As for the 12, I have the gain at maybe 20%, didnt want it super loud, just wanted it to balance out with the factory speakers. I set the crossover as low as it would go. Bass boost off. Think I have the car audio bass set as less than half way. Between the 10 and 12, I chose the 12 because bigger speakers hit the lower notes better, and I dont really think there is a difference in the size of the box. I bought a $20 amp wiring kit from walmart which is actually decent wire. There is write up on here that explains how to tap in to the factory amp feed for your sub too. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-too-easy.html
After you get your sub installed, turn the gain all the way down, adjust your factory audio to get rid of most of the bass but keeping enough, then slowly add in the sub til you get the sound you want. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Bacon (10-20-18)
Old 10-19-18, 07:00 AM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

I will be honest. The factory insulation on these cars is ****. I am adding some sound dampener this weekend, which will take care of all the rattles. Adding to the trunk lid, the side trim panels, the trunk floor, and the spare tire area, and some under the trunk trim under the factory sub. Will make a huge difference, and cost less than $100. As for the 12, I have the gain at maybe 20%, didnt want it super loud, just wanted it to balance out with the factory speakers. I set the crossover as low as it would go. Bass boost off. Think I have the car audio bass set as less than half way. Between the 10 and 12, I chose the 12 because bigger speakers hit the lower notes better, and I dont really think there is a difference in the size of the box. I bought a $20 amp wiring kit from walmart which is actually decent wire. There is write up on here that explains how to tap in to the factory amp feed for your sub too. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-too-easy.html
After you get your sub installed, turn the gain all the way down, adjust your factory audio to get rid of most of the bass but keeping enough, then slowly add in the sub til you get the sound you want. Hope this helps.
it absolutely does, thank you!
Old 10-20-18, 05:28 PM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

Just ordered one, thanks for the recommendation!
​​​
Old 10-21-18, 07:29 PM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bacon
Just ordered one, thanks for the recommendation!
​​​
No prob. Did you find it somewhere cheaper?
Old 10-22-18, 08:37 AM
lance55
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

The page listing is down and I'm not seeing anything Lexus on the OEM website anymore. Any idea what happened?
Old 10-22-18, 11:02 AM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

No prob. Did you find it somewhere cheaper?
Yup, it's currently going on Amazon for $172, couldn't pass it up at that price .
Amazon Amazon
Old 10-24-18, 04:25 PM
Bacon
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to follow up on this with a quick review after getting my P300-12 installed today.

My first impression was “wow, this does not sound good” because the bass was just overpowering everything and I could barely hear the highs and mids. However upon further investigation, the gain and bass boost were turned way up on the amp, so I cranked them down to almost zero and also turned down the bass and upped the highs and mids on my stereo.

Talk about making a huge difference. It sounds amazing now, and almost perfectly balances out the stock system. The wired remote is an added bonus, as I can turn the bass down when I have passengers or crank it way up when I’m solo.

10/10, would buy again.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bacon:
Lex_Giorgio (01-19-24), Ugur (08-19-20)
Old 10-25-18, 10:22 AM
EvilJoker
Pole Position

Glad you are happy with it. I tuned mine about the same. Bass boost all the way down, gain almost all the way down, crossover as low as it goes, more mids and highs on the radio settings and lower bass. You have any rattles yet? Did you tap into the factory amp feeds for signal? If the weather cooperates, I'm adding all of my sound deadening in the trunk this weekend. Should block out a lot of road noise, and also clean up the bass and force more of it into the cabin. I've used a few different "loaded" subs (bazooka, Infinity Basslink, and the Fosgate). The Fosgate is definitely the BEST bang for the buck. I've had mine now for 8 years in 3 different cars (in Texas heat), and this thing still bumps with no problems.

Quick Reply: OEM Audio System Install/Review