IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

So many threads on TPMS, but no clear answers

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-17, 09:12 AM
brunp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So many threads on TPMS, but no clear answers

So, my mother bought a 2017 IS 300 F-sport. I took on the task to get her a set of winter tires/rims along with aftermarket TPMS sensors. These same sensors work in my
wife's 2017 Infiniti QX30 without issue and they do display the pressure values.

However, in the Lexus, despite the sensors being registered via OBD, I do not see any pressure values. They should "---" on all four corners, but more importantly there is no
TMPS warning light.

Thoughts?

Paul
Old 12-12-17, 09:20 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by brunp
So, my mother bought a 2017 IS 300 F-sport. I took on the task to get her a set of winter tires/rims along with aftermarket TPMS sensors. These same sensors work in my
wife's 2017 Infiniti QX30 without issue and they do display the pressure values.

However, in the Lexus, despite the sensors being registered via OBD, I do not see any pressure values. They should "---" on all four corners, but more importantly there is no
TMPS warning light.

Thoughts?

Paul
Did tire shop install them? OEM or not any TPMS of right kind will work. The difference is frequency used. I do it myself using Autel TPMS tool. Nothing to it. Some times you have to add two leading numeric zeros as prefix for the id. like 00-------.
Old 12-12-17, 09:24 AM
brunp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
Did tire shop install them? OEM or not any TPMS of right kind will work. The difference is frequency used. I do it myself using Autel TPMS tool. Nothing to it.
Yes...it was a tire shop.....and they re-registered the TMPS sensors again. But do I need to do a reset as well (using the button under the dash)? It is one thing to register the new TMPS sensors
and then another perform the pressure reset??? The place I used is a dedicated tire shop, so likely not their first time dealing with this.

Paul
Old 12-12-17, 10:58 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes...it was a tire shop.....and they re-registered the TMPS sensors again. But do I need to do a reset as well (using the button under the dash)? It is one thing to register the new TMPS sensors
and then another perform the pressure reset??? The place I used is a dedicated tire shop, so likely not their first time dealing with this.

Paul
I had to reset the tire pressure button to get the values to show in my '14. After I reprogrammed my winter sensors, the light went off but I had no pressure values until I redid the tpms button.
Old 12-12-17, 11:05 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Paul
TPMS handling routine on Lexus is much more desired. Issue is they only have memory space to store one set of tires including spare(if has one). All other cars I drove had memory space for two sets of tires. So it remembers summer and winter tire sets. Just a matter of switching them when season changes. There are many
Youtube tutorial out there. Reset is kinda wrong work. You inflate all the tires to specs. then you push reset button making the spec. PSI as reference point. When you lose 6 PSI from reference PSI it'll light warning. So when I had Lexus RXh I only had to resrt once and never touched the button again. The tool I use can trigger and scan the TPMS id, frequency, temperature, battery condition. I scan all 4 TPMS in the order of LF >> RF >> RR >> LR and the I connect the tool to OBD port, execute
learn command. That's it. If you want to try deflate any one tire about 6-7 PSI to see if warning comes on. Your tire shop ought have a tool better than what I have.......
By Golly, BMW, Audi vehicles in the family does it without TPMS. Using ABS sensor the monitor eacu tire rotations and software algorithm figures out which tire is low.
I think it monitors only low pressure not the higher pressure. You can also use tech stream to register(manually enter) new set of TPMS once id. is known.
Old 12-12-17, 11:09 AM
brunp
Driver School Candidate

I will be heading to the car shortly and will perform the reset as specified and wait a few minutes to see if the PSI values show up on the dash.

I find it funny that a car would not have enough memory space for two set's of TPMS sensors....lol, the fact that memory is so cheap and that ID values don't take up space. I
do remember that my 2011 Avalanche with TPMS required me to relearn the new codes, so I bought a tool for $110 to do so. It didn't have a winter/summer switch....would
make so much more sense to have a menu in the system settings allowing you to do so. They allow so many other configurable options...

Paul
Old 12-12-17, 11:13 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

I will be heading to the car shortly and will perform the reset as specified and wait a few minutes to see if the PSI values show up on the dash.

I find it funny that a car would not have enough memory space for two set's of TPMS sensors....lol, the fact that memory is so cheap and that ID values don't take up space. I
do remember that my 2011 Avalanche with TPMS required me to relearn the new codes, so I bought a tool for $110 to do so. It didn't have a winter/summer switch....would
make so much more sense to have a menu in the system settings allowing you to do so. They allow so many other configurable options...

Paul
From what I've read, the 2IS had the ability to store two TPMS sensors, but Lexus did away with feature that for the 3IS. Who knows why?
Old 12-12-17, 12:27 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Paul
Right Chevy has easier way of dealing with it watching the tail/parking and listening to the beeps.
Old 12-12-17, 12:42 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
From what I've read, the 2IS had the ability to store two TPMS sensors, but Lexus did away with feature that for the 3IS. Who knows why?
Probably to steer unknowing rich people towards going back to the dealers to hopefuly buy new sets from them, and then while they are there, get tires, alignments, plus other work.
Old 12-12-17, 12:44 PM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have no TPMS light either on the dash even though I have aftermarket winter wheels w TPMS sensors not programmed. I notice that as long as you drive for under 30min, and park near your OE wheels that have the original TPMS sensors (i.e. in your garage), it stays off.

It's only when I drive for over 30min or am on the freeway for more than 20min straight that the TPMS dash light comes on.
Old 12-12-17, 12:53 PM
brunp
Driver School Candidate

So, I did the Sensor reset using the procedure and the button next to the OBD port and nothing. The sensor's I am using are aftermarket MAX Total Sensor which are supposedly the most universal TPMS sensors and works with pretty much most cars and the IS 300 is in the list too.

So....I have my tire installer calling their rep to get more info.

Paul
Old 12-12-17, 05:20 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My autel ones don't show the pressures either. Light still comes on when pressures are around 30psi and goes away on its own once I correct it. I can see the pressures in the module with my scanner, just not on the cluster. Lol I just live with it

​​​​
Old 12-12-17, 05:34 PM
brunp
Driver School Candidate

They showed up once on my drive.....odd and then blanked out again....

Paul
Old 12-13-17, 06:46 AM
brunp
Driver School Candidate

Well, the PSI values showed up briefly yesterday for one portion of my drive but are now showing "---". Does this point to a Lexus issue?
Old 12-13-17, 11:13 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

I would say that it points to a non-Lexus issue since everything worked properly before the winter rims went on.

Quick Reply: So many threads on TPMS, but no clear answers