IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New IS300 2017 AWD Fsport owner: performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-17, 02:45 PM
RKSTRAT
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Default New IS300 2017 AWD Fsport owner: performance questions

So I am generally enjoying my new 2017 IS300 AWD Fsport Caviar/Rioja.
I am trying to separate my questions according to topic, rather than posting a
list. So this topic is performance.

Most recently, I owned the Infiniti G35x and G37x. Obviously more HP than the IS300.

From my reading and the test drive, it was clear that I would have to get used to a
drop in the performance. I was curious as to why the IS300 is so tamed down in terms of
torque. In my area, it is very difficult to find any AWD IS350s, and I liked the IS300 overall.
I am guessing this has been discussed here extensively, so pardon the newbie question,
but how would adding the performance chip/tune to the IS300 affect the Lexus warranty?
Do the dealers install and sanction these power upgrades? Of course I would not upgrade
without that assurance.

I have seen the performance of the IS300 AWD described as "adequate".
What's the consensus here?
Old 12-11-17, 03:45 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

the IS300 AWD has plenty of performance for what it competes with (330i, A4, C300) and it’s more of an actual competitor than the IS300 RWD (formerly IS200t) now it’s nothing to knock your socks off obviously, but it has plenty of performance and eager to go when it’s in sport mode, i plan on doing the tune for my car and i don’t think it voids out the warranty but i’d wait until someone else on here could confirm this
Old 12-12-17, 12:41 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If the dealer finds out that you are running a custom tune, it will and should void the warranty, because you are deliberately causing more stress and wear on all of the engine components.
Another option would be to get one of those plug-and-play performance boxes and remove it everytime you take the car to the dealership, but those tuning boxes are far less advanced than a good tune and it will not be good for your engine in the long run.
Old 12-12-17, 01:55 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by RKSTRAT
So I am generally enjoying my new 2017 IS300 AWD Fsport Caviar/Rioja.
I am trying to separate my questions according to topic, rather than posting a
list. So this topic is performance.

Most recently, I owned the Infiniti G35x and G37x. Obviously more HP than the IS300.

From my reading and the test drive, it was clear that I would have to get used to a
drop in the performance. I was curious as to why the IS300 is so tamed down in terms of
torque. In my area, it is very difficult to find any AWD IS350s, and I liked the IS300 overall.
I am guessing this has been discussed here extensively, so pardon the newbie question,
but how would adding the performance chip/tune to the IS300 affect the Lexus warranty?
Do the dealers install and sanction these power upgrades? Of course I would not upgrade
without that assurance.

I have seen the performance of the IS300 AWD described as "adequate".
What's the consensus here?
It really depends on what people mean when they say "performance". Sadly, a lot of reviews use the word to broadly describe the vehicle, while some others are just referring to acceleration.

The IS 300 is not a fast car. It can sometimes feel quick, but in a straight line, it's not that powerful. However, it's quick enough that you can have fun with it. In the corners, it really comes alive. It feels eager to go through turns, especially medium- to high-speed ones. In low speed corners, it does seem to want to wash out. The AWD system also helps you out if you are really going for it - the shift in power from 50/50 to rear-biased is noticeable and helps alleviate the low-speed woes mentioned above. I'd say to really enjoy this car you need a good road. Sure, blasting down the on-ramp is okay, but it's not what this car is really about.
Old 12-12-17, 08:59 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

In terms of performance, the 300 is lacking. It's alright around town but not quite enough. The 350 has a bit more grunt I found which is why I went that route.

rule of thumb for mods to the car and not voiding warranty is don't. Unless it's a factory approved mod like the fancy f sport suspension they have on display at my dealer, although I doubt it's for our IS, or maybe even TRD stuff. But even then I'd stay away if warranty is a concern.
​​​​​​