Android on 3IS? Here we go....

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-17, 06:35 AM
timcole421
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by specONE
@timcole421 this is not "Android Auto"
This is a interface module that is giving you full Android OS system using the factory controls and display. You can download any app you wish just like your typical Android device and not be locked out like how Android Auto is
Yep, pretty cool. I was just replying to those clamoring for android auto as a factory interface. I'd rather have what we already have.....this deal seams promising, but is more than I would spend or have the talent to install
Old 11-22-17, 06:38 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Does this module use mobile data from your cellphone over Wi-Fi AP or does it have its own SIM-card slot?
Old 11-22-17, 06:52 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, this is not Android Auto, this would have so much more in terms of flexibility and customization. I know cause I installed a Joying Android unit to my wife's Rav4 2007. We love it. we can change the launcher to make it more personalize, it shows weather, speed, and can install any apps. Looks so good and works so well that I find wanting to drive her car (still love my IS more tho ).
Having said this, I am really exited that something like this exists for our IS since I thought that you would need to physically touch the screen for something like this and would not work with our joysticks. I would be buying it if SpecOne was 90% "impressed with it" or 95% "working efficiency" but 75% is a bit too low
Old 11-22-17, 07:19 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghza
Does this module use mobile data from your cellphone over Wi-Fi AP or does it have its own SIM-card slot?
Yes you would need a wifi hotsot to connect it to. There is no SIM card slot on it. Take a look at the close up pictures and videos i've taken of the module.

Originally Posted by lexuscanuk
I agree, this is not Android Auto, this would have so much more in terms of flexibility and customization. I know cause I installed a Joying Android unit to my wife's Rav4 2007. We love it. we can change the launcher to make it more personalize, it shows weather, speed, and can install any apps. Looks so good and works so well that I find wanting to drive her car (still love my IS more tho ).
Having said this, I am really exited that something like this exists for our IS since I thought that you would need to physically touch the screen for something like this and would not work with our joysticks. I would be buying it if SpecOne was 90% "impressed with it" or 95% "working efficiency" but 75% is a bit too low
Hang tight, I am in direct contact with someone there. I hope to get it to 90% impression and keep you guys updated.
The following users liked this post:
lexuscanuk (11-22-17)
Old 11-23-17, 12:54 AM
evident
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

you are doing great work here. We are all counting on you
Old 11-27-17, 10:13 PM
specONE
Racer

Want to give you guys a quick update.
Still at the same state of the Mouse moving on its own.

They had me try to redo some wiring on their harness itself.
Here's their crude drawing example of what they wanted me to do. I did not understand why they wanted me to do this.

So I wondered why they wanted me to do this.
After studying the wiring diagram it looks like in their harness they had twisted the Joystick mouse and the instrument cluster display wires together.
I get it now, the two are conflicted. so now that i understand why. I went right away to fix the wiring per their instructions.
and here is my work

quickly ran to the car after and well this did not help
back to square one.

So they state that they have never seen this strange phenomenon.
They have said it worked just fine in European and Asian Market Lexus IS model.
Currently they have a USDM radio on order and we now just await for it to arrive to them to see if they can reproduce the same issue I am seeing.

Hopefully it will be soon that we have answer as my car is all in pieces as I do not want to fully install it until it is working properly enough. Luckily I have another car I daily drive.
and now all we can do is wait patiently....................

Last edited by specONE; 01-10-18 at 10:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by specONE:
LexSense (11-27-17), lexuscanuk (11-28-17)
Old 11-28-17, 06:35 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the update and effort.
I hope they at least gave you the unit for free. That's a lot of free R&D for them.
I am still optimistic we can get something like this working.
Old 11-28-17, 10:55 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by lexuscanuk
Thanks for the update and effort.
I hope they at least gave you the unit for free. That's a lot of free R&D for them.
I am still optimistic we can get something like this working.
Nope. unfortunately it is not free for me.
This unit is paid for out of my pocket. We'll see if they compensate me later on. I just want it working right already first

Last edited by specONE; 11-28-17 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-30-17, 01:13 PM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Awesome updates...hopefully they don't just end up bailing on you. I do have a '16 RC that has the trackpad instead of joystick...since that doesn't auto return like the joystick of a stock system I wonder if the trackpad would actually be fine...
Old 12-22-17, 09:29 AM
specONE
Racer

Updates right now,
at a standstill with them. still awaiting them getting a US model '14 stereo.

But I ran into another thread today on the LX side of Clublexus forum of someone mentioning the same interface, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lx-...ry-screen.html
Old 12-28-17, 08:07 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Thanks for trying this out! Definitely going to keep an eye on this. I installed something similar (GROM VLINE) in my 5th gen ES350, but they don't make it for any joystick controlled Toyota/Lexus yet (not sure if there are plans) so have been looking into alternatives.
Old 12-29-17, 12:38 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Just gonna throw this out here, I learned the other day to turn off the "door open chime" just gotta depress the **** in the door that would depress if your door gets closed.
Old 12-29-17, 09:30 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by itsx
Just gonna throw this out here, I learned the other day to turn off the "door open chime" just gotta depress the **** in the door that would depress if your door gets closed.
I can sleep to the door chime noise. my ears have tuned it out after many years of working car audio.
Old 02-01-18, 11:47 PM
specONE
Racer

An update

It has been a month since last updated you guys
Well there is no new update....

At the rate they are trying to provide support to resolve the ghosting Joystick movement I am about ready to give up on this and them.
They say they are still trying but I am not going to hold my breathe.

I may try installing it in another Lexus model in my household to see if it behaves the same and move on from it.

i already have planned another direction I will go instead in the IS. I will start a new thread when the right time has comes to share details of it.
Old 10-07-18, 02:35 PM
Onion
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looking at the time i am assuming nothing has changed....
Sad to see that otherwise could be a great product

Quick Reply: Android on 3IS? Here we go....