IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Android on 3IS? Here we go....

Old 11-08-17, 02:17 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Android on 3IS? Here we go....

I Have this written in my build thread but people might not see it so i thought I'd create a new thread about it so info about it can all stay in one place.
I came across this Android interface from company Lsailt , Might take the dive and give it a try.
Ran through the Installation manual with the broken English and got the gist of it. I get what needs to be done and how it operates.

They claim:
-That there is control of their system with the remote joystick we have in or navigation equipped vehicles.
-Steering wheel controls to change tracks in Android mode
-Does not interfere with factory back up camera.
-Aux mode switches to the Android interface automatically.

It seems promising but i have not seen any info on our GEN8 Navigation setup showing it working or in pictures. The pictures they provide are all generic graphics someone threw together.
The videos I have seen from them show what looks to appear to me GEN7 setup instead of RX with NX touch control panel and other configurations.
I will move forward and get one to be the guinea pig for us all.

Also for those of you that do not have factory Navigation and just the basic stereo with the ****, supposedly they have a interface for that setup as well that uses different wiring harness for back of stereo. I don't know how much you can really do with just a **** for some items, someone else will have to try that after i give this a try if it proves to work decently well.

Need to gather the funds though first.
Will keep you guys posted.

============================================================================================================================

Here is the link to the two product SKU on Aliexpress if anybody is interested also

Lsailt

LLT-LKSS-VER7.4.3H
for remote joystick Mouse Navigation equipped car
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ZzjAImA

LLT-LKSS-VER7.4.3L
And the link to the product for Non-Navigation (**** UI) which is part no
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/mIYzrRF

============================================================================================================================
Specs of the interface module below:
Android 6.0 system,
2GB RAM
16GB ROM
Quad core 1.6GHz Cortex-A9
Decent specs for in-car computer

Some funny pictures I have found for IS specific

<<<==weird, 2017+ remote touch Pictured, but just could be the artist didnt know the difference

Last edited by specONE; 11-20-17 at 10:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
LexSense (11-08-17)
Old 11-08-17, 02:31 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for trying this out, if all goes well maybe you could help me out as well
Old 11-08-17, 04:25 PM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Fascinating! It better work great for $480 USD!!!!

Here's the link to the manufacturer's site. http://carnavigationboxlsailt.sale.t...ation-box.html
Old 11-08-17, 05:35 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

OMG nothing would make me happier then to ditch the POS infotainment system...
Old 11-08-17, 06:43 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

This is the link for the IS kit: http://carnavigationboxlsailt.sale.t...ogle-play.html
Old 11-08-17, 10:56 PM
specONE
Racer

Okay guys I've bit the bullet and made the payment
Keep you all posted

Doing some more research, Looks like they support Lexus RC and NX touchpads as well
and also the new RX with the wider screen, i.e. 2017+ IS is not left out

Some videos i found on youtube of some of the stuff they've done, (ignore the annoying music they play)

here's a video of their non-navigation system with remote **** only. looks like they add touchscreen overlay as option for more input

Last edited by specONE; 11-08-17 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-09-17, 06:05 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Wow this should be interesting....so basically you hit AUX and this starts this android box and displays it on the monitor. From there you can control it using the mousepad. So immediate issues I see would be there is only one GPS cable in the car and this appears to not provide a splitter so you will lose factory navigation if you plug in the GPS antenna to it. The other is it must relay on your phone data plan to use apps such as Google Maps. I wonder what happens if the phone can't provide data fast enough etc. Finally the area behind the head unit is cramped as is (those who installed bypasses already know this)...I wonder if there will be a sufficient spot to tuck this module behind but again hard to tell how big that module is based on pictures. Overall thanks for taking this on I can't wait to hear feedback on how it functions.
Old 11-09-17, 06:42 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm excited. What was the ballpark cost. I'll happily Venmo you some coffee money for trying this out for us!

I would give up my entire glove box space for this computer if it functions as seamlessly as they claim. I actually spoke with a friend of mine about developing a solution like this but it never made it past the idea. It's interesting the box they use is so large. I'd imagine it's because the different types of inputs and outputs it requires to not only connect to the display but also connect to your phone and to the mouse controls.

As far as Google maps and using data. Maps only uses your data provider data for searching for new destinations or points of interest, as far as the actual GPS function goes this is handled by the GPS radio in your phone and does not cost you anything. I am unsure if the traffic data comes from data or from satellite but being someone who uses Google Maps constantly it doesn't draw much data.

The stock Nav is crap. Roads are incorrect, it's clunky and a pain to use. Google maps blows it out of the water with live traffic and POI's.
Old 11-09-17, 10:09 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by sarcoptic
Wow this should be interesting....so basically you hit AUX and this starts this android box and displays it on the monitor. From there you can control it using the mousepad. So immediate issues I see would be there is only one GPS cable in the car and this appears to not provide a splitter so you will lose factory navigation if you plug in the GPS antenna to it. The other is it must relay on your phone data plan to use apps such as Google Maps. I wonder what happens if the phone can't provide data fast enough etc. Finally the area behind the head unit is cramped as is (those who installed bypasses already know this)...I wonder if there will be a sufficient spot to tuck this module behind but again hard to tell how big that module is based on pictures. Overall thanks for taking this on I can't wait to hear feedback on how it functions.
From what i can gather, this module includes its own GPS antenna for it to use. It does not interfere with the original GPS antenna

I dont see enough room to hide it behind the stereo also
I'd install this in the glovebox as well just like Ciggy state. The reason for this is in case the unit needs any hard reset if it gets stuck I can grab it and unplug it and reconnect or something. Also the USB ports are more easily accessible then.

Yes you'd have to have wifi hotspot for this thing to work. Just imagine this Interface module to be like your standard tablet that does not have 3g/4g modem in it, just Wifi connection only. That's pretty much how this module will work and then image your factory controls in the vehicle is a USB Mouse/keyboard that you would connect to this to control it (like if you were to connect to tablet. Imagine your factory screen is the TV/monitor that is connected to the tablets HDMI port if it had any. Its the same concept. This module is just a computer and for it to work it needs input controls and a display, i.e. keyboard mouse and monitor (in your car it will be the stereo controls, joystick and the display in the dashboard)
Old 11-14-17, 10:12 AM
specONE
Racer

Here's the User manual they sent me for me to look at? I uploaded it to my Google Drive so it wont get lost
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16u...rJzVTkfUSPGXgu

Small update:
Tracking number they provided me shows that I should have this by end of this week.
Not sure when I will have time to sit down and install it into the vehicle and play with it as next week is Thanksgiving and things will get busy from then on.
I will at least show you guys content of the kit.
Old 11-14-17, 11:53 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
Here's the User manual they sent me for me to look at? I uploaded it to my Google Drive so it wont get lost
https://drive.google.com/open?id=16u...rJzVTkfUSPGXgu

Small update:
Tracking number they provided me shows that I should have this by end of this week.
Not sure when I will have time to sit down and install it into the vehicle and play with it as next week is Thanksgiving and things will get busy from then on.
I will at least show you guys content of the kit.
Lie...you know you will install it on the day you get it
Old 11-15-17, 10:17 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by sarcoptic
Lie...you know you will install it on the day you get it
I wish that was the case but it is not. It takes me a long time to find any time to get anything done to the car nowadays. I have plenty of car parts just sitting around waiting to be installed on my cars.

I will try to find time for this though so to at least not keep you guys that are interested waiting too long.
Old 11-16-17, 05:10 AM
lexuscanuk
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This would be a great Christmas present for me.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 11-16-17, 10:31 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

This is all a little bit silly and extra... Can't they get their hands on the Android Auto app and simply emulate android auto. Then you could plug your phone in and get all the features I'm looking for.

I know others want to put videos and youtube on the screen. I strictly want GPS and a better view of what song is playing with album art and such.

Android Auto is so nice.
Old 11-16-17, 11:19 AM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by lexuscanuk
This would be a great Christmas present for me.
Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by Ciggy
This is all a little bit silly and extra... Can't they get their hands on the Android Auto app and simply emulate android auto. Then you could plug your phone in and get all the features I'm looking for.

I know others want to put videos and youtube on the screen. I strictly want GPS and a better view of what song is playing with album art and such.

Android Auto is so nice.
The problem is the Android Auto API is Closed and not available for developers to build upon. You have to be part of the Open Automotive Alliance to get access to this and these are usually only allowed access from big OEM car manufacturers or Aftermarket stereo companies.
https://www.openautoalliance.net <= Notice Toyota/ Lexus is not a member??? which is why you wont see Apple Carplay or Android Auto Anytime soon from factory in brand new cars for a long while.

Android OS in itself is Open Source so companies can build upon it freely.

And for small update back to the topic, Tracking number shows that I should have the package delivered by today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Android on 3IS? Here we go....