Retrofitting factory options

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-17, 05:25 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Retrofitting factory options

Hello,

I'm an owner of a 2014 IS 250 F Sport, Ultra White with Rioja Red interior.
I used to be a BMW guy and therefore I have a constant need of retrofitting different factory options that my car does not have.
My car has heated and ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, M&L audio, navigation, automatically folding mirrors, electrically heated windshield, rear-view camera, TPM and other stuff that you get with the F Sport.

What I am missing and would wish to have are:
Automatic full beams/full beam assist or w/e you call it, BSM, lane departure assist and adaptive cruise control.
There's also the powered rear sunshade and the intuitive parking assist (what is that?) that I wouldn't mind retrofitting.

Now would any of the mentioned options would be realistic to retrofit? E.g. is there a different light sensor for the automatic full beams? What parts would theoretically be needed to retrofit either of these options?
I was also interested in the wider screen the facelifted IS has, but as it was discussed in another topic here, the nav computer and some more stuff would need to be changed to make the bigger screen work.

Last edited by Raghza; 10-19-17 at 05:26 AM. Reason: grammatical mistakes
Old 10-19-17, 11:33 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What I am missing and would wish to have are:
Automatic full beams/full beam assist or w/e you call it, BSM, lane departure assist and adaptive cruise control.
There's also the powered rear sunshade and the intuitive parking assist (what is that?) that I wouldn't mind retrofitting.

LKA and high speed/all speed adaptive cruise as far as i understand if it didn't come from the factory this way you cant get it installed. Both option use a radar and camera set up that i don't think your cars computer is programmed for
Old 10-19-17, 12:56 PM
staszek84
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you will end up spending more money on changes as opposed to trading the car and getting the options you want. I hear all 2018’s Lexus vehicles come with Toyota safety sense standard which include mostly all options discussed.
Old 10-19-17, 10:26 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks for the answers. So the LKA and adaptive cruise are out. I'm wondering about the full beam assist though.

Also, I just want to say that I'm not planning on retrofitting all these options no matter what. I'm just trying to understand, which options would be reasonable to retrofit without changing and reprogramming tons of stuff. For example, the F Sport cluster can be installed in the standard version car without changing anything else - that's what I would call an easy retrofit.

How's the rear sunshade built? Is it also integrated into the rear parcel shelf like on the BMWs? So you would basically need the rear shelf with the shade and the button in the dash?
Old 10-20-17, 07:49 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

You might as well trade in your car for Mercedes Benz E class, it has all the options and more... probably will cost you less than trading in.
Old 10-20-17, 02:07 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghza
Thanks for the answers. So the LKA and adaptive cruise are out. I'm wondering about the full beam assist though.

Also, I just want to say that I'm not planning on retrofitting all these options no matter what. I'm just trying to understand, which options would be reasonable to retrofit without changing and reprogramming tons of stuff. For example, the F Sport cluster can be installed in the standard version car without changing anything else - that's what I would call an easy retrofit.

How's the rear sunshade built? Is it also integrated into the rear parcel shelf like on the BMWs? So you would basically need the rear shelf with the shade and the button in the dash?
The high beam requires the forward camera and software upgrade to work, as it is able to detect on coming headlights and rear taillights in front of the vehicle. The rear sunshade is doable with the switch and rear package tray. There should be a lone connection taped up for the power and connection for the switch in behind the ip.