IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 IS350 AWD VS 2013 Subaru WRX STI

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-17, 10:22 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay89
Best you can probably do is out drive them. On a tight track, power doesn’t help as much as a good driver. Set up your suspension to be as close to 50/50 as you can, ie corner balance it. A well prepped car and good driver on a tight track can beat out right power and an average driver any day. My boss and a friend of mine both drive sub 200hp (crank) cars at their track day events. They both have lapped much faster cars than them by simply out driving.

Good luck
So true. If it’s a track and not drag, the best mod is a 3 day training session at Skip Barber
Old 10-09-17, 03:49 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Solara350
my AWD IS350 Fsport 2015 got smoked by a 2018 Toyota Camry XSE he said has intake+exhaust. that's weird.
Ouch. Well, these cars are not about the power. But still...
Old 10-09-17, 03:56 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

When I got my IS350 I made the choice between it, the Focus RS and a VW golf R. The R didn't have a sun roof so it was out. The Focus RS was marked up 10k above sticker and it had no reliability record. So IS350 it was. If you want a seriously fast car trade to IS in and get a Corvette or M3 or Focus RS. The IS350 is not the fastest car on the block. It looks damn nice and will outlast a sti.
Old 10-11-17, 02:49 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by manchild
When I got my IS350 I made the choice between it, the Focus RS and a VW golf R. The R didn't have a sun roof so it was out. The Focus RS was marked up 10k above sticker and it had no reliability record. So IS350 it was. If you want a seriously fast car trade to IS in and get a Corvette or M3 or Focus RS. The IS350 is not the fastest car on the block. It looks damn nice and will outlast a sti.
I have to respectfully disagree. I think the Focus RS is already showing its true colors, as there are many reports of stock cars with various engine and differential related issues.

Get our suspension package and Supercharger for your IS300/350, you will be right up there with a tuned Focus RS. As for reliability, I'd much rather tune a 3.5L 6-cylinder engine to 360whp vs. a 2.3L 4-cylinder.... its a no brainer. I was pulling with a Focus RS the other day and it wasn't even close. Our stage 1 IS350 SC is also equivalent to an Audi S4 with APR Stage 1 tune (don't ask me how I know).

The Focus RS main advantage is that it has a suspension and tire package that is optimized for performance. It comes with Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires STOCK (which will last about 6000miles!

The IS platform is actually very good. Lets put aside the interior which is leagues ahead of the focus/subaru/evo econobox interior... the Lexus has an inherently better suspension design -- double wishbones up front, versus struts on the other cars.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 10-11-17, 09:33 AM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing
I have to respectfully disagree. I think the Focus RS is already showing its true colors, as there are many reports of stock cars with various engine and differential related issues.

Get our suspension package and Supercharger for your IS300/350, you will be right up there with a tuned Focus RS. As for reliability, I'd much rather tune a 3.5L 6-cylinder engine to 360whp vs. a 2.3L 4-cylinder.... its a no brainer. I was pulling with a Focus RS the other day and it wasn't even close. Our stage 1 IS350 SC is also equivalent to an Audi S4 with APR Stage 1 tune (don't ask me how I know).

The Focus RS main advantage is that it has a suspension and tire package that is optimized for performance. It comes with Michelin Pilot Cup 2 tires STOCK (which will last about 6000miles!

The IS platform is actually very good. Lets put aside the interior which is leagues ahead of the focus/subaru/evo econobox interior... the Lexus has an inherently better suspension design -- double wishbones up front, versus struts on the other cars.

Rafi
I'm with you on this one Rafi. After owning and stage-2 tuning two STI's, the Lexus G series motor is bombproof! The RS is an expensive piece of garbage riddled with issues. The G series motor has been around for quite sometime and has a great track record (pun not intended). There's a reason it's still in Toyota's lineup. A simple RR Tune will safely get you above a stock STI. Adding the headers and a high flow exhaust put no extra strain on the motor and you get a huge bump in torque and HP.
One issue...like any direct inject motor, you will have excessive carbon build up that will require walnut blasting approximately every 30K. It's a simple task to complete at home and requires about three hours of your time.
The following users liked this post:
RRRacing (10-11-17)
Old 10-11-17, 01:36 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Drawblood
I'm with you on this one Rafi. After owning and stage-2 tuning two STI's, the Lexus G series motor is bombproof! The RS is an expensive piece of garbage riddled with issues. The G series motor has been around for quite sometime and has a great track record (pun not intended). There's a reason it's still in Toyota's lineup. A simple RR Tune will safely get you above a stock STI. Adding the headers and a high flow exhaust put no extra strain on the motor and you get a huge bump in torque and HP.
One issue...like any direct inject motor, you will have excessive carbon build up that will require walnut blasting approximately every 30K. It's a simple task to complete at home and requires about three hours of your time.
Why would a G motor need this if its also port injected?
Old 10-11-17, 01:50 PM
Drawblood
Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
Why would a G motor need this if its also port injected?
It's direct inject and port injected. You still get carbon buildup, just not as bad. I'll do a video of the cleaning process once my engine reaches the 30K mark.
I found this thread that might help you. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-problem.html
Old 10-12-17, 03:14 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Drawblood
It's direct inject and port injected. You still get carbon buildup, just not as bad. I'll do a video of the cleaning process once my engine reaches the 30K mark.
I found this thread that might help you. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s-problem.html

It would be interesting to see your engine when you clean it. We have opened up several ISF engines, and there is a big difference between an engine that runs our Air/Oil Separator (AOS) vs without. With a proper AOS, it is super clean.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 10-12-17, 12:43 PM
Drawblood
Driver

Originally Posted by RRRacing
It would be interesting to see your engine when you clean it. We have opened up several ISF engines, and there is a big difference between an engine that runs our Air/Oil Separator (AOS) vs without. With a proper AOS, it is super clean.

Rafi
It might be awhile. I only have 4K on the motor...LOL!
Are you guys going to make an AOS kit for the IS? or can I purchase the ISF one?