iJDMTOY yellow fog lights DIY install on IS3

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 08:10 PM
jkwiseeyes
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default iJDMTOY yellow fog lights DIY install on IS3

This is simply how I did mine, not showing how it should be done or anything
I don't have enough good pictures but hopefully this will be a little helpful to some people.
sorry for some reasons, i couldn't post anymore pictures, I will try to post the rest of the pictures tomorrow

Items purchased:
fog light kit: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Lexus-IS-F-...-p/70-600.html
wire connectors for easy/lazy connection: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ce...-0206971p.html
wire stripper: realizing i could of used this for other things I thought I'd buy one to make this little project easier: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...-0584570p.html

Items/tools used:
Phillips screw driver
Plastics Trim/Screw tools
Ratchet (don't remember size needed, helped remove
Electrical Tape
Flashlight
Patience (likely will get frustrated at some point)

So really, I felt the instructions provided by iJDMTOY http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Lexus-IS-FS...ion-a/686.html were a good guideline, so I would start a review those to get a good idea.

1. Started with the driver side, braked and turned wheel clockwise as much as I could to give ample space in the wheel well

2. Removed the plastic rivets with my handy plastic pry tool (you'll see some of them in the pictures below, the red tools)
There must of been 4 or 5 of them and there are 2 or 3 regular screws underneath

3. After removing these you can pull back the liner and use your flashlight to peek and use your hand to feel around the pieces that are there

Just so you can see, there are 3 prongs that hold the plastic insert in place, you really only need to disengage those and push it out. So as you are feeling around inside, those circle prongs is what you feeling for to disengage... it took a long time but the passenger side was easier..

4. after successfully pushing out the existing insert, locate wire that you need to tap into (I'm just tapping into the existing headlamps, so it will turn on whenever those are on)

Note: There was another wire that was hooked onto a plastic piece, I unhooked it so I can move it out of the way and hooked it back on blindly at the end

5. Based on the instructions that come with the kit/website, you want to tap the Red wire from the KIT to the existing BLACK and the black wire from the KIT to the existing WHITE wire. I used these blue connectors, worked pretty easy just. When I stripped the wire and put it into the blue t-connector it felt loose, like the wire wasn't thick enough so I stripped a little more and twisted and folded it over on itself to make it thicker

6. Then I wrap the the **** out of it with electric green tape... i know it's not the cleanest or proper way to do it but I'm lazy... I was generous with it because I was afraid of rain/snow getting up in it

7. Once the wiring is done, I went ahead and insert the Fog Light from the front and remember there are 3 clips but there is an addition, I don't know what to call it, but it sticks out on the bottom corner insider corner...

it helps position the light and fill in the space

8. Test the light before you put back together the wheel well.

9. Repeat for passenger side (don't know why but it was easier...)

10. Good luck... have fun with the process as annoying as it can be!

Last edited by jkwiseeyes; 09-10-17 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-10-17, 06:01 AM
jkwiseeyes
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

finally updated