IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Wheel rub issue after camber arms?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-17, 01:00 PM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You need lower control arms or camber kit to adjust the camber. Running this wide setup without arms is going to cause this type of wear.
Old 08-22-17, 02:59 PM
SceneAmati
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SikhSipahi
You need lower control arms or camber kit to adjust the camber. Running this wide setup without arms is going to cause this type of wear.

Yes, I understand that. Which is why I have looked into getting SPC Camber arms. But, my question was to see if anyone is running a similar setup, and experience rubbing issues.
Old 08-22-17, 03:53 PM
SceneAmati
Driver

Here are my before and after alignment specs.

Old 08-22-17, 04:06 PM
SceneAmati
Driver

I'm confused as to why my right rear says it's not adjustable... aren't both sides not adjustable?
Old 08-22-17, 05:04 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SceneAmati
I'm confused as to why my right rear says it's not adjustable... aren't both sides not adjustable?
Yes, both sides are not adjustable. However, the right side is completely out of spec and the technician cannot adjust it, hence the remark.
Old 08-22-17, 05:09 PM
SceneAmati
Driver

Originally Posted by 600rr
Yes, both sides are not adjustable. However, the right side is completely out of spec and the technician cannot adjust it, hence the remark.

Wouldnt the left side be out of spec then too? Anyway, it looks like I'll just have to get SPC Camber Arms. I'm just afraid I'll start rubbing. I hope someone else has this similar wheel setup & drop to tell me if they installed camber arms too.
Old 08-22-17, 05:22 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

It wouldn't necessarily be out of spec just because the right is, but it is close though.
The only way to know how much has been changed is to get a measurement before the lowering springs.
If it ends up rubbing with the camber arms, you can adjust it back so it doesn't rub, but you'll have to live with the negative camber and tire wear.
Old 08-22-17, 05:24 PM
SceneAmati
Driver

True. Well, I'll pull the trigger and order the camber arms and see what happens.
Old 08-31-17, 07:53 PM
jkwiseeyes
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

another victim here...on RSR Downs approx. 2.5 years ago
when i got my alignment, the tech told me our OEM toe arms/chambers are not adjustable...
been looking for toe arm for my 2014 IS250awd but can't seem to find any supplier... wonder if going coilovers will help??
front driver sider (live in Toronto so these are stock wheels but they have been off and on for winters, this is my 4th summer season with these)
Old 08-31-17, 07:55 PM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jkwiseeyes
when i got my alignment, the tech told me our OEM toe arms/chambers are not adjustable...
been looking for toe arm for my 2014 IS250awd but can't seem to find any supplier... wonder if going coilovers will help??
front driver sider (live in Toronto so these are stock wheels but they have been off and on for winters, this is my 4th summer season with these)
OEM camber are not adjustable, but toe should be adjustable...
Old 08-31-17, 08:13 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

So you probably don't want to go back to that tech.
The front and rear Toe is adjustable on all IS's.
The front camber is adjustable on AWD IS's only.
Since you have an AWD, the tech was pretty much wrong on everything...well, not pretty much, he was definitely wrong.
Unfortunately that pretty much needlessly effed your tires. Sorry man.
Can only recommend to replace the tires and go somewhere else for a proper alignment.
The following users liked this post:
jkwiseeyes (08-31-17)
Old 08-31-17, 08:25 PM
jkwiseeyes
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
So you probably don't want to go back to that tech.
The front and rear Toe is adjustable on all IS's.
The front camber is adjustable on AWD IS's only.
Since you have an AWD, the tech was pretty much wrong on everything...well, not pretty much, he was definitely wrong.
Unfortunately that pretty much needlessly effed your tires. Sorry man.
Can only recommend to replace the tires and go somewhere else for a proper alignment.
Definitely appreciate the feedback! Could you recommend your tech that you used for yours? I got a set of vossen's coming in soon and going to need an proper alignment... (i'm in Milton, don't mind the commute)
p.s. lovin the bronze rims
Old 08-31-17, 09:07 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Definitely appreciate the feedback! Could you recommend your tech that you used for yours? I got a set of vossen's coming in soon and going to need an proper alignment... (i'm in Milton, don't mind the commute)
p.s. lovin the bronze rims
Thanks for the comment on the bronze wheels...they definitely look nice against the Red Mica.
I'm actually looking to get an alignment very soon...possibly Saturday.
My neighbor has a shop in Richmond Hill...so I'm going to check it out and see how the alignment turns out.
The first alignment I had done was at the dealer...they had to replace a left front ball joint as the boot got a tiny pinhole that grease was coming out of. I suspect something came off the road and hit it.
Coincidentally I found it while installing the RSR Downs.
It's a hella drive from Milton, but if everything works out good, I'll PM you the shop name, and you can decide if you want to make the drive.

The dealer did do a good job of the alignment, but it was right after I installed the springs, so I'm doing a follow up one to make sure everything is on point still.
Also I'm gonna tweak the front camber a bit...I was a little close to the edge of the spec range.
Old 09-01-17, 12:43 AM
LeeJonah
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any updates on the camber arms?
Old 09-02-17, 03:06 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Could you post the alignment specs as well? If your front tires are only wearing then it probably is your lower control arm bushings.

Quick Reply: Wheel rub issue after camber arms?