IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Have anyone broke their side mirrors changing the puddle lights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-17, 12:14 PM
lexusplz
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have anyone broke their side mirrors changing the puddle lights?

I changed all my lights to LED except the puddle lamps. I watched the video. He makes it look so easy to pop open.

Is there a trick to it?

If the mirror or the plastic breaks, how much does it cost to replace? The mirror really cost $35 to replace?

Old 08-13-17, 02:35 PM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't know on this one. I changed every bulb in my car except the puddle lights because of my experience changing the mirrors in my wife's car and breaking one of the little plastic clips that hold the mirror into the frame. Toyota and Honda love to use those little plastic clips and they break ALL THE TIME! just change everything else out and ignore the puddle lights...
The following users liked this post:
GR3Y5H3ART (03-03-20)
Old 08-13-17, 04:16 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

the OEM mirror is more like $360....
Old 08-13-17, 04:22 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I never had a problem. Just be careful. Never broke a thing and changed all three of my IS puddle lights.
Old 08-13-17, 05:38 PM
greatone99
Rookie

its easy ,the only part that takes a little patience is the glass ,popping it out and putting it back
Old 08-13-17, 06:29 PM
RoiteTrom
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I changed the puddle lights on my car. Honestly, the trick to popping it is just not being afraid. I kid you not, I spent 20-30 minutes attempting to pop it but couldn't because I was so scared of using too much force. I was holding back (and this actually hurt my fingers). Finally I just said f it and went for it. Just do it.
Old 08-13-17, 10:39 PM
lexusplz
Driver

I really do want to do it since I bought the LED for the puddle lamp. What is the trick to pop it open? Is there a corner or side I should start with that makes it easier to pop out?
Old 08-14-17, 06:37 AM
fivesevenn
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

have to be careful, take off the back cover first (use plastic tool/credit card ect) and slowly go around the edges.
dont pull from the top, but on left and right sides to pull off when ready to.
Old 08-14-17, 07:03 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

The trick is to do it quick and not slowly pull. The tabs are designed to give a little and go back into shape just as long as you do it fast. Also do it on a warm/hot day. Don't do it in cold, plastic is more prone to crack as it is brittle when cold.

Do as you in video and do quick jerk pull motion and you'll be fine
Old 03-03-20, 04:41 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

i want to do mine and have used the tools mentioned in that video and DEFINITELY would recommend spending the couple extra bucks for a tool you will rarely use more than once

using a flat head screwdriver or something that isn't made of plastic could lead to damage:

Have anyone broke their side mirrors changing the puddle lights?-ad57efp.jpg
Old 03-03-20, 04:44 AM
GR3Y5H3ART
Lead Lap

Received 102 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by manchild
Toyota and Honda love to use those little plastic clips and they break ALL THE TIME! just change everything else out and ignore the puddle lights...

lol sooo true. Plastic clips in general that hold so many things in our Cars for me is better to break off and replace than saying damaging an Interior Panel where fore mentioed Plastic Clip latches on to

what i found SUPER helpful is don't use 1x Flathead Screwdriver or even try using 2x Screwdrivers on either side...this again...rarely used tool works wonders:

Have anyone broke their side mirrors changing the puddle lights?-as4kmuw.jpg
Old 03-03-20, 06:46 AM
Cleatus
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

you can get a kit of ALL those tools in one box for like ten bucks on amazon...just a fyi...
Old 03-03-20, 06:57 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

I replaced all my interior, puddle lights and signal lights with LED.

1. Never use a metal tool to pry. Those plastic tool kit above serves as a complete tool kit for interior lighting.
2. Puddle lights - I would not recommend doing it when it's cold outside (plastic tend to get brittle when its cold). The only critical part is removing the mirror - this took me several tries before I finally yanked it out. Really feels like you are about to break the glass in half and eventually it will pop out. Several videos in youtube shows how to remove it.

Btw, the heated mirrors are more than $35 so be very careful.
Old 03-03-20, 11:05 AM
ALLBLCK604
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by s3v3n
I replaced all my interior, puddle lights and signal lights with LED.

1. Never use a metal tool to pry. Those plastic tool kit above serves as a complete tool kit for interior lighting.
2. Puddle lights - I would not recommend doing it when it's cold outside (plastic tend to get brittle when its cold). The only critical part is removing the mirror - this took me several tries before I finally yanked it out. Really feels like you are about to break the glass in half and eventually it will pop out. Several videos in youtube shows how to remove it.

Btw, the heated mirrors are more than $35 so be very careful.
I broke my passenger side last year. It’s nearly $500cad for the mirror from Toyota. I got a guy there so it was about 400 flat with discount

$35 loooool
Old 03-03-20, 11:10 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by ALLBLCK604
I broke my passenger side last year. It’s nearly $500cad for the mirror from Toyota. I got a guy there so it was about 400 flat with discount

$35 loooool
Yes. It's not cheap. I did a quick look on ebay, when I was about to do the puddle lights on my car, just to give me a heads up of the expenses in case I break it, and the replacements are running @ 100$, not sure if this is used or new.

Quick Reply: Have anyone broke their side mirrors changing the puddle lights?