IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2016 IS350 F sport touchy steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-17, 06:24 AM
Dreamcast
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 2016 IS350 F sport touchy steering

Does anyone think the steering has a very light feel in ECO and Normal mode? It's ok for urban driving but on highways at high speed im always conscious of keeping the wheel under control because the lightest touch can steer the car off my lane. Perhaps it's just something i need to get used to.
Old 07-24-17, 06:44 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Yes, it's too light in those modes...my remedy is to always drive in Sport S+
Old 07-24-17, 12:45 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Eco/Normal is a tad light. Sports kind of annoying to me. Like it's trying too hard to be stiff just for the sake of being stiff. Adds nothing to the overall handling. I bet that's something a tuner can tone down through a software setting. I think somewhere in between would be perfect.
Old 07-24-17, 01:22 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamcast
Does anyone think the steering has a very light feel in ECO and Normal mode? It's ok for urban driving but on highways at high speed im always conscious of keeping the wheel under control because the lightest touch can steer the car off my lane. Perhaps it's just something i need to get used to.
Spot on. That's exactly my experience. Slightest bump and it starts to wander in different directions and constantly find myself adjusting. Let's try in S mode on highways like someone suggested but wondering if that means worse MPG.
Old 07-24-17, 01:52 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I feel the same way. ECO and normal are way too soft and Sport+ feels like normal on other cars. You would just need to leave it on 8th gear manually on the freeway wiht sport +
Old 07-24-17, 01:57 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

I'm guessing yours has VGRS? For anyone reading who doesn't, I think this might not apply, as the differences in steering among the Eco, Normal, and Sport modes are much more subtle for non-VGRS cars. FWIW, in that case I like the Sport setting. Eco does feel a bit light, but never sloppy or like the car is going to be upset by bumps, as you described.
Old 07-25-17, 05:56 PM
syntxerr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arentz07
I'm guessing yours has VGRS? For anyone reading who doesn't, I think this might not apply, as the differences in steering among the Eco, Normal, and Sport modes are much more subtle for non-VGRS cars. FWIW, in that case I like the Sport setting. Eco does feel a bit light, but never sloppy or like the car is going to be upset by bumps, as you described.
I agree with you on this. I made sure to order my IS without VGRS because it seemed... odd... but yeah, I could barely notice the difference in steering feel between the drive modes. The steering never felt "loose" like that.
Old 07-25-17, 06:18 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

ECO and Normal are lightER than Sport(+) but can't say it's "light" or "loose" versus other cars. Speaking from the perspective of 3rd gen IS350 FSport RWD, the steering on ALL modes is tighter than my GS300 RWD, and previous cars like Acura, Corolla, VWs, etc. As per the posts below do you have VGRS?

Originally Posted by syntxerr
I agree with you on this. I made sure to order my IS without VGRS because it seemed... odd... but yeah, I could barely notice the difference in steering feel between the drive modes. The steering never felt "loose" like that.
Me three. Not familiar with where all this is coming from. Some reasons for buying was I love the cornering & handling & steering on the IS and wanted all the new features of 350 FSport in order to avoid Audi or Benz or BMW remorse!! AVS also kicks things up a notch...

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-25-17 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-26-17, 01:39 AM
Dreamcast
Pit Crew

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I do have VGRS. It's noticeably light where bumps on the road seem to affect the steering. For me it's not an issue but rather an observation. It feels better in sport+ but i tend to use Eco mode for fuel efficiency.

I wonder if modding the steering damper would make a difference?

In comparison I used to drive a Renault Megane and the steering in that had great feedback. It was also more solid which made highway cruising pretty comfortable as you keep a light grip on the wheel and be confident it wasn't going to inexplicably turn on you.
Old 07-26-17, 12:42 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

I do have VGRS. It's noticeably light where bumps on the road seem to affect the steering. For me it's not an issue but rather an observation. It feels better in sport+ but i tend to use Eco mode for fuel efficiency. I wonder if modding the steering damper would make a difference? ...
As per my post above I have a GS with looser steering than my IS and read some threads on the GS forum describing similar mods for better & tighter handling, grip, and suspension. Some folks went with a product from RR Racing who makes non-OEM, however great fitting, very strong & hard, control arm bushings (including complete housing), which tends to tighten up your steering, handling, grip, suspension, etc, ALSO manufactured specifically for IS. You might experience a harsher ride but from the sound of your posts I think you'd like this.

I THINK this works in conjunction with VGRS on the IS which shouldn't mess things up, nor conflict with AVS on FSport models. If you contact RR Racing quite certain they'll suggest other less invasive solutions. On the other hand, if your car is still under warranty, you might want to first reverse things before going in for service
The following users liked this post:
Dreamcast (07-28-17)
Old 07-26-17, 01:51 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,078 Likes on 1,569 Posts

Careful with those racing bushings. If too hard, not only will it result in a hard ride and more noise, it could cause loss of control.
If you want crisper handling, I'd suggest going with Professional Lexus/Bilstein dampers. I'd get them if I bought this car.
The following users liked this post:
Dreamcast (07-28-17)
Old 07-28-17, 05:13 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a non F-Sport model. When I put mine in Sport, does my steering change as well? I notice no diff.
Old 07-28-17, 07:20 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,509 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
I have a non F-Sport model. When I put mine in Sport, does my steering change as well? I notice no diff.
I believe the level of steering assistance is dialed back, so that it's slightly heavier. It's a subtle difference, but even on my first test drive I could tell when doing some city driving - mainly in parking lots, etc. is where it's noticeable to me. Either way I agree, the difference is not huge.
Old 07-28-17, 03:46 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sybaritic
... It's a subtle difference, ... Either way I agree, the difference is not huge.
Assuming both of you guys are referring to non-FSport? I have 350 FSport RWD and always feel a noticeable difference moding Sport, and even more so in Sport+.

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-28-17 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-28-17, 04:17 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I wish I could have just the S+ steering in normal mode without having to have the change in engine response - that would be perfect for me.

Quick Reply: 2016 IS350 F sport touchy steering