IS 350 Maintenance Tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-17, 11:50 PM
Ricydluu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS 350 Maintenance Tips

Hi all,

I recently purhased a preowned IS 350 with extended warranty to 100k from a private dealer. In fact, this was my very first car purchase. I'm not very car savvy but I do know how to drive a car properly to avoid ruining parts such as the drive train. Since this is luxury car, I would like to hear some tips that will help prolong this car as much as possible. I worked hard to get this car so I definitely don't want to ruin it too quick! Any advice is welcome. Thanks!!!
Old 07-16-17, 06:27 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Try to get your money back for the private warranty and then purchase an official Lexus vehicle service contract if you really feel the need for one. Private warranties are known for being sketchy.
Old 07-16-17, 07:59 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

As for maintenance, you'll be set if you follow the maintenance schedule outlined by Lexus located within your owner's manual. The 350 really is a trouble free machine; I mean the drive train has been out for years now and it's pretty bulletproof.
Old 07-16-17, 11:09 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I say rountine maintnce is enough to keep the 350 running fine.

I had mine for about 2 years now (bought new). No issues with anything.

One thing to mention, is paint is super soft, and the dash board does get pretty dull from suffering in the sun. <-- best way to minimize this, is to apply some UV protectant.
Old 07-16-17, 12:50 PM
halowan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nathantse

One thing to mention, is paint is super soft, and the dash board does get pretty dull from suffering in the sun. <-- best way to minimize this, is to apply some UV protectant.
What would you recommend for the dashboard? Ive been researching on that for days..

@OP

Me too I just bought my 3is, but it is from a Lexus dealer. They gave me +4 years of warranty unlimited mileage.
Old 07-16-17, 01:14 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by halowan
What would you recommend for the dashboard? Ive been researching on that for days..

@OP

Me too I just bought my 3is, but it is from a Lexus dealer. They gave me +4 years of warranty unlimited mileage.
I have been using Meg's Interior Quik Detailer as a cleaner, it claims to leave UV protection and a matte finish. It does the job however, the dashboard still gets a little dull. So I tried out 303 aerospace (claims to bring back darkness and depth of colors and leaves UV protection), with 1 coat it already made the dash look darker (almost new). I will be applying a 2nd coat this week.

Note - the reason why I apply 1 coat first is to test. Looks good so far. I've heard that if you apply too much, it can look glossy and shinny (something I hate)
Old 07-16-17, 01:54 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Yeah. change all the fluids regularly.

oil 10k
trans 35k
diff 35k
brakes annually
coolant annually
cabin filter annually
Old 07-16-17, 02:24 PM
Ricydluu
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! Btw the pre owned came with an after market muffler tip. Does anyone know if that will void the manufacture warranty? I am having the dealer to replace back to the stock tip for me just incase.
Old 07-16-17, 02:40 PM
minhael
Pole Position

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricydluu
Thanks guys! Btw the pre owned came with an after market muffler tip. Does anyone know if that will void the manufacture warranty? I am having the dealer to replace back to the stock tip for me just incase.

Is just a muffler tip....the dealer aint going to get you any issue with that because it's only cosmetic.
Old 07-18-17, 07:43 AM
jhardy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been using Meg's Interior Quik Detailer as a cleaner, it claims to leave UV protection and a matte finish. It does the job however, the dashboard still gets a little dull. So I tried out 303 aerospace (claims to bring back darkness and depth of colors and leaves UV protection), with 1 coat it already made the dash look darker (almost new). I will be applying a 2nd coat this week.

Note - the reason why I apply 1 coat first is to test. Looks good so far. I've heard that if you apply too much, it can look glossy and shinny (something I hate)
+1 on the 303 protectant. Works great. Be careful when cleaning around the shifter and AC/radio buttons. Use good quality microfiber towels so you don't scratch up the surfaces.
Old 07-18-17, 07:56 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,065 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I use this stuff: 1Z Cockpit Premium

This is the stuff BMW dealers license for use in BMW bottles. It's high-end stuff. Leaves a 100% factory matte finish (NO GLOSS) and has UV protectant. I dilute it with water. It leaves the interior looking literally new. No shiny oily BS.
Old 07-18-17, 08:22 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

I also use 303 and can't complain as it doesn't leave the dash super shiny a la autozone products but rather leaves a nice matte finish that looks professionally detailed.

Another solid product is 1Z Cockpit Premium.
Old 07-18-17, 09:54 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I recommend if you haven't already, call up Lexus USA and tell them you are the new owner of the vehicle since you bought it from an Independent dealer. That way, they will have your name and address on file in case there are future recalls or important communications.

I only have 25K on my 2014 IS350 and my front brake pads were down to 4mm, so these do eat through brakes quick it seems. Do a brake fluid replacement
Old 07-18-17, 11:13 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by halowan
they didn't give it to you. you paid for it in some form or another.
Old 07-18-17, 11:15 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

and cover it in paint protection film. it's a must on all cars that i've owned -- all three of them haha

Quick Reply: IS 350 Maintenance Tips