IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Apexi Throttle Controller for IS350F?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-17, 10:53 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Apexi Throttle Controller for IS350F?

Hi guys,

Wondering if any IS350 owners had installed the Apexi or any other throttle controller in their cars. I've searched the forums and lots of ISF and RCF owners do indeed use them, not so much for IS owners.

Can anyone provide some insights on these products, and how it compares or pairs with the stock mode selectors (ECO, NORMAL, SPORT, SPORT +)?

Might be something cool to look into, only cost like $200.
Old 07-14-17, 11:01 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Yes sir, very popular. Works on all models. People pair it with sport on sport.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 07-14-17, 11:04 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks

-Josh
I'm reading that it increase the sensitiveness of the throttle. So pushing 1/2 way down to get power, you could push 1/4 way down and get the same power.

But does not provide any gains in performance? Also, claims in the lower settings (ECO) will increase MPGs? I would like to see some real world testing for the IS350.
Old 07-14-17, 11:22 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 173 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks

-Josh
you moved from ontario to la?
edit: mod in japan is located in ontario. oops.

Last edited by davyjordi; 07-14-17 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-14-17, 02:50 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
I'm reading that it increase the sensitiveness of the throttle. So pushing 1/2 way down to get power, you could push 1/4 way down and get the same power.

But does not provide any gains in performance? Also, claims in the lower settings (ECO) will increase MPGs? I would like to see some real world testing for the IS350.
Doesn't putting it in Sport mode accomplish the same thing?
Old 07-14-17, 06:59 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by EZZ
That's what I'm thinking.. so would the throttle control INCREASE the response on top of the built in SPORT mode?
The following users liked this post:
Leo7 (04-12-21)
Old 07-14-17, 09:13 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

That's what I'm thinking.. so would the throttle control INCREASE the response on top of the built in SPORT mode?
No, i don't think that 200$ will increase anymore performance for 3rd Gen IS as you both said, new Gen of Lexus has the Sport Mode switching system, good for the 2nd and older IS and ISF though.

3rd Gen IS350 F-sport already has every sport and performance needs why i don't why people still doing the mod, Lower spring, Exhaust and Intake mod is fine but not Coilovers ecu tunes etc. AVS system on IS350 fsport is awesome, it feels better than BMW well in my opinion, in normal or eco mode alone suspension feels already stiff
Old 07-14-17, 10:21 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
you moved from ontario to la?
edit: mod in japan is located in ontario. oops.
Correct to both of you. :P

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-07-17, 08:11 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested in this but would really like to know is this plug & play?
Old 09-07-17, 09:44 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes it is Plug and play. Should take about 5 minutes to install. Maybe 10 minutes if you are being way to careful.
Old 09-08-17, 11:53 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Originally Posted by Solara350
No, i don't think that 200$ will increase anymore performance for 3rd Gen IS as you both said, new Gen of Lexus has the Sport Mode switching system, good for the 2nd and older IS and ISF though.

3rd Gen IS350 F-sport already has every sport and performance needs why i don't why people still doing the mod, Lower spring, Exhaust and Intake mod is fine but not Coilovers ecu tunes etc. AVS system on IS350 fsport is awesome, it feels better than BMW well in my opinion, in normal or eco mode alone suspension feels already stiff
I have it and let me put it this way. This throttle controller DOES NOT add any power gain to your car. However, it DOES change how to throttle and gearing response. It has 7 modes and RED mode being the most aggressive. If you can feel the difference between normal driving mode and sport+ mode (I bet you do) then you can feel RED mode too. INSTANT throttle response and hold low gear longer when cornering and down shift (Sport+ and RED mode)

Normal driving mode + throttle controler (RED mode) = 70% of Sport mode in term of throttle response
Sport+ mode + throttle controler (RED mode) = 150% of Sport+ mode in term of throttle response

I dont use Eco, Sport driving mode, only Normal and Sport+ mode. The throttle controller has 7 modes, RED (aggressive) and PURPLE (boost) are the modes I often use.

Update: Since I got OV tune, I seldom use the throttle controller. So if you can tune the car, you probably dont need it.
The following 3 users liked this post by leo877:
3isDragon (04-28-20), cuellooo (06-22-22), Leo7 (04-12-21)
Old 09-17-17, 12:35 PM
abenjack
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Throttle response is terrible in the IS. I almost lost to my buddy's Silverado because he was off the line before me. Also the V8 torque but I could tell the lack of throttle response had a lot to do with it. My buddy got a throttle controller for his 2016 Tacoma and said it made a world a difference.
Old 09-19-17, 02:45 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by leo877
I have it and let me put it this way. This throttle controller DOES NOT add any power gain to your car. However, it DOES change how to throttle and gearing response. It has 7 modes and RED mode being the most aggressive. If you can feel the difference between normal driving mode and sport+ mode (I bet you do) then you can feel RED mode too. INSTANT throttle response and hold low gear longer when cornering and down shift (Sport+ and RED mode)

Normal driving mode + throttle controler (RED mode) = 70% of Sport mode in term of throttle response
Sport+ mode + throttle controler (RED mode) = 150% of Sport+ mode in term of throttle response

I dont use Eco, Sport driving mode, only Normal and Sport+ mode. The throttle controller has 7 modes, RED (aggressive) and PURPLE (boost) are the modes I often use.

Update: Since I got OV tune, I seldom use the throttle controller. So if you can tune the car, you probably dont need it.
Curious, do the less aggressive modes still improve the response time of the throttle? That would be the main benefit I'd want to get out of it - just reducing the delay between my foot pressing the pedal and something happening. The delay in the stock car is very noticeable. It's better in Sport, I think, but not by much.
Old 09-21-17, 10:43 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by arentz07
Curious, do the less aggressive modes still improve the response time of the throttle? That would be the main benefit I'd want to get out of it - just reducing the delay between my foot pressing the pedal and something happening. The delay in the stock car is very noticeable. It's better in Sport, I think, but not by much.
Yes it reduces the delay significantly when you're in normal driving mode. The benefit of it is the car does not hold gears longer as in sport mode and you have better throttle response. I put the Apexi switch close to BSM switch, kind of hidden from the driver view. Eco mode on both Apexi throttle controller and on the car activated whenever I valet, make it less desirable joy ride than stock Civic
The following 2 users liked this post by leo877:
arentz07 (09-22-17), Leo7 (04-12-21)