IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Price check

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-17, 07:08 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Darqhelmet
So dudebro, to use your own terms sounds like you are speeding or racing or what ever else you do on public roads. I mean you cruse at 75 by your own admission, but calling the is250 slow and unsafe because you drive illegally is just silly. Compared to me on my R1 you are standing still and need to stay out of the passing lane. Someone is always going to be faster and make more power, that is just the fact of life. Keep it on the track and enjoy your car there away from everyone that isn't racer extraordinaire.
Im guessing you drive in Amish territory? Around here, 75mph is "slow". I get passed by pretty much everyone. Ford model Ts, I'd guess, get up to that speed after a few hours?

Here is a GREAT, real world, example that I'm sure many here can appreciate:

So you're cruising down the freeway at 75mph (speed limit is 70mph) and you've got yourself cruise control on (like all civilizied people should) and then an @sshat, in front of you, decides to text their beau. Since they can't walk and chew gum, let alone use cruise control, then drop down to 65mph. You now have 3 seconds to to decide what to do.

Options:
1-Pass them. Oops, the passing lane is going at 80-85mph. You are now dropping in speed, from 75mph.

2-Use your brakes to prevent an accident. Gee that sucks. Now you shredded those pads a little.

If you had another 100hp, you probably could have used the passing lane to get around the fool. Ok so you try to pass, uh oh, the idiot realized how slow he was going because, dang, he ain't getting passed by the Lexus! Now he speeds up, but you can't overtake him fast enough to get pass and get of the way of the passing lane traffic.

What happens next? You **** off the passing lane folks who then rip passed you, change lanes, then spray you with their windshield wipers.
Old 06-25-17, 07:23 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
Im guessing you drive in Amish territory? Around here, 75mph is "slow". I get passed by pretty much everyone. Ford model Ts, I'd guess, get up to that speed after a few hours?

Here is a GREAT, real world, example that I'm sure many here can appreciate:

So you're cruising down the freeway at 75mph (speed limit is 70mph) and you've got yourself cruise control on (like all civilizied people should) and then an @sshat, in front of you, decides to text their beau. Since they can't walk and chew gum, let alone use cruise control, then drop down to 65mph. You now have 3 seconds to to decide what to do.

Options:
1-Pass them. Oops, the passing lane is going at 80-85mph. You are now dropping in speed, from 75mph.

2-Use your brakes to prevent an accident. Gee that sucks. Now you shredded those pads a little.

If you had another 100hp, you probably could have used the passing lane to get around the fool. Ok so you try to pass, uh oh, the idiot realized how slow he was going because, dang, he ain't getting passed by the Lexus! Now he speeds up, but you can't overtake him fast enough to get pass and get of the way of the passing lane traffic.

What happens next? You **** off the passing lane folks who then rip passed you, change lanes, then spray you with their windshield wipers.
No I drive in Southern California. I have pointed that out a few times. I also travel for work nation wide and drive in other states, lived in FL for a year back in 2000 and again for 90 days in 07 on contract. Never got ran off the road and never saw this magical everyone is doing 75+mph land you speak of. But sure lets look at your example. You have some person being a moron and pass them, or according to you try to pass them and fail. People being bigger morons are mad at you for inhibiting them from being said bigger morons. So because in your world the is250 is to slow to pass people its "dangerous" to people that are already being morons and endangering everyone else driving that fast and lets be honestly eating and drinking, playing with their radios, or heaven forbid their phones too. But because they have "high" (mind you 300 horse power isn't high) cars and are going "super" fast the person NOT driving like a **** is the one that is at fault? Here here, remove all speed limits and outlaw all cars that are unable to pass me while I am on my R1, because that is dangerous to me. Even though they can pass me just fine because I save the stupidity for the track and not public roads. You know what I am on your side now because on your side no one but bikers and super car drivers are on the road. The is250 is to slow, so is the is350 and as a matter of fact all lexus's minus the LFA. Do you see where your argument ends? Keep going down your path and its just silly, the is250 is fine for DD and fine for passing on the freeway.

Side note, cruise control in traffic Horrible idea. In your example I am glad they don't have it on, because as they slow down it decreases their stopping distance which while it doesn't make up for the fact that they are distracted does help them from rear ending someone else.

Last edited by Darqhelmet; 06-25-17 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-25-17, 07:33 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

If you've ever driven in Florida, you've driven I75 and I assure you that 75mph is slow.

I feel youve completely missed the point. Oh well.

OP-If you go for an is250, don't come around asking about tunes and exhaust. That gets old, fast.

"Hi I'm Bob. I saved $5k going with the is250, how do I boost my car so it's as fast as the 350?"
Old 06-25-17, 07:39 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

As I feel you have too.

But no, I was in Miami and Pensacola. Never had to go to the mild of the state thank god.
Old 06-25-17, 07:47 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Darq does have a point. I drive on the I75 and turnpike for work here in Miami and can tell you that having a 350 means nada. I have seen countless 350 drivers simply moving slowly and deliberately sitting in the fast lanes where they don't belong. HP means nothing here, it's all about the driver. Many buy the highest HP cars and drive no faster than the guy in the Nissan Versa.

I have an IS200T and it is plenty fast for these highways and fast enough to easily get one in trouble for speeding. The highways are not drag strips. Enough of this tired argument about slow cars, drivers are slow, not the cars. If it's ultimate speed one desires then there would be no reason to look at the IS350.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (06-26-17)
Old 06-25-17, 07:59 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Ok, my point isn't that I feel we all need to drive at 140mph else you suck, my point is that you need to be able to go from 60 to 70mph just as fast as the Honda v6 and whatever else is out there, which an is250 isn't going to be able to do. Speed limit is irrelevant when traffic isn't fallowing it.

I guess I should have simply said that, in my experience, and many others here, from what I've read, the is250 is greatly underpowered compared to most cars on the road today.

If you drive in bumper to bumper traffic all of the time then yeah, go for it, but don't call us is350 drivers street racers just because we are faster, by far. Sheesh, Einstein relativity would say you is250 drivers are also street racers compared to a Prius.
Old 06-25-17, 08:07 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Did you miss the list of cars I posted that are all newer and slower than the is250? Who made the Honda V6 the bar by which all cars mus be faster than. Because that makes a TON of cars not fast enough in your world.
Old 06-25-17, 08:11 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Like I said, my experience is that, it's the drivers who are slow. Forget the Honda V6, what about the guy in the F80 M3, there are countless cars out there that makes the IS350 looks down right slow. Many people would not buy your 350 based on this same argument that you are purporting here. Are they wrong? This is why telling him to get a 350 is downright silly and means nada. Many RCF/GSF/ISF owners here would not be caught dead with your slow IS350. We all have different reasons why we buy what we buy.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (06-26-17)
Old 06-25-17, 08:30 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EXE46
Like I said, my experience is that, it's the drivers who are slow. Forget the Honda V6, what about the guy in the F80 M3, there are countless cars out there that makes the IS350 looks down right slow. Many people would not buy your 350 based on this same argument that you are purporting here. Are they wrong? This is why telling him to get a 350 is downright silly and means nada. Many RCF/GSF/ISF owners here would not be caught dead with your slow IS350. We all have different reasons why we buy what we buy.
Oh yea, there are THAT many M3 and the like out there driving.

Again, the point is that many many cars, today, are all at the is350 performance. Cars that make the is350 look slow are very rare where I drive. Heck, my Porsche Boxster S would rip the is350 apart, but I rarely RARELY see a car like that around.

Again, y'all are missing the point. Us is350 drivers aren't "street racers". We are now, almost, the norm.

Whats the price difference here? 5k?
Old 06-25-17, 09:03 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ah, another 350 vs 250 thread. all these threads are the same.
Old 06-25-17, 09:06 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

This debate has gotten a little silly. My only point about the 250 is that it doesn't do the Lexus IS justice. It's simply not a good enough engine for the chassis that supports it. It's not about being a racer or it being dangerous or some other silly argument. The 350 is worth getting and the chassis is really mated best to that engine and provides the best sport luxury experience in the IS.

So I urge the OP to just try the 350 as it best represents what the IS was meant to embody.
Old 06-26-17, 11:09 AM
dblambo85
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys I'd appreciate if we could get back a little more on the subject. I realize this is a forum and everyone seeks out info and opinions are welcomed. I see both parties on the IS250 vs 350 debate. I personally see how the Xtra 100 hp can make the is350 a better experience it's just not a major concern for me.
I'm more concerned in getting the best car with options for my money. The car my original post was about sold. If I'm gonna buy a 14 I think I'm set on the IS350 and if I'm gonna buy a 15,16 I can live with the 250 as long as it's an fsport cause I like the looks better. Whatever I pick I need them cooled seats in Texas heat!! Haha