IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Can't do a burnout for some reason?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-19, 09:17 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I remember when I wanted to do burnouts... when I was 17. thankfully it's just a small handful of people requesting such info but when it starts to become the norm, that's how you know you need to switch cars.

burnouts anyway are one wheel peels with these cars. 3,500 lbs 250 hp. why...
Old 01-15-19, 12:53 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by loophole35

200t in dyno mode will waste a set of rear tires. Has a ton of torque.
wait...what is dyno mode?
Old 01-15-19, 12:55 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Smack206
Maybe use Maintenance mode? I would look up if there is any potential damage from running in it in the IS it should let you do good burnouts.
(Lexus Maintenance mode in most vehicles)
Turn on car ignition to 2nd click (on but engine has not been cracked)
while still in park depress the gas petal 2x
move shifter to N
press gas pedal 2x
put shifter to D
hit gas petal 2x
(LCD will display maintanance mode )
turn on the engine

what is the point of doing this?
Old 01-16-19, 11:51 AM
Lexus3GIST
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by premier3IS
agreed. but then again, mom and dad probably got him the car so this to be somewhat expected I guess.... unfortunately.
Much appreciated for the nice comment. I post asking for some help on how to disable this gas/brake pedal lockout system and instead, I get berated with a bunch of comments from people asking "why do you want to do that?" "must be mommy and daddy's car", etc..

Isn't this supposed to be a community where people answer each other's questions? Christ man, answer the question or get on with your life instead of trying to figure out someone else's. I never had any fun in my old Honda Accord. Now that I treated myself with an upgrade, I can't have fun with the things that I own unless I'm granted approval from the committee of Lexus Internet Keyboard Warriors? Sheesh. I KNOW my car isn't an LFA, ISF, or a 350...Is that what you all wanted to hear? lol. Still looking for answers btw.
The following users liked this post:
BlazeL (01-17-19)
Old 01-16-19, 11:54 AM
Lexus3GIST
Driver

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LouisV
what is the point of doing this?
Every post I've read about putting your car in maintenance mode says at the bottom of it
**don't drive your car in maintenance mode**

I'll take their advice, but thanks for your input.
Old 01-16-19, 01:54 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,510 Likes on 1,806 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus3GIST
Every post I've read about putting your car in maintenance mode says at the bottom of it

I think LouisV was literally asking "What is the point of using maintenance mode?"

To answer the concern of why doing burnouts is being mocked by other forum members, here's my two cents, and I am not the biggest "car guy" by any means.

I got my IS for the simple reason of wanting a car that is fun to drive, but appears to be practical and mature. Having a Lexus, most people wouldn't think I would drive aggressively or be a speed freak. When it appears more and more IS drivers are engaging in such activities as burnouts, drifting, or doing donuts, it changes the perception of IS owners to a less-mature, more boy-racer image. That's not what I personally want - now I can't speak for other CL members, but I would guess I am not the only one who feels that way.

Then again I also realize you're not going to the Target parking lot and doing these burnouts, or at least I hope.

Hope no offense was taken there. I understand your chagrin about the earlier posts - it's really unfair to assume you didn't buy this car with your own money just because you wanted to do a burnout. I mentioned above that I wanted a "fun" car, too, right? I fully admit to messing around in snowy parking lots, trying to kick the rear out while pulling out onto a highway when the roads are wet, and other shenanigans. However, no one seems to judge me for those things. Perhaps its because those things generally are what the car is designed to do, unlike a burnout. To E46CT's point, because we have open diffs on the majority of IS models, it's not going to be a great burnout anyway.

Hopefully you can get the burnout to work - I'd be curious to see if it works. I'm surprised turning TC fully off or using the pedal dance isn't enough to make it work, tbh...
Old 01-16-19, 05:59 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Much appreciated for the nice comment. I post asking for some help on how to disable this gas/brake pedal lockout system and instead, I get berated with a bunch of comments from people asking "why do you want to do that?" "must be mommy and daddy's car", etc..

Isn't this supposed to be a community where people answer each other's questions? Christ man, answer the question or get on with your life instead of trying to figure out someone else's. I never had any fun in my old Honda Accord. Now that I treated myself with an upgrade, I can't have fun with the things that I own unless I'm granted approval from the committee of Lexus Internet Keyboard Warriors? Sheesh. I KNOW my car isn't an LFA, ISF, or a 350...Is that what you all wanted to hear? lol. Still looking for answers btw.
If you asked to do this with an LFA, IS-F or IS350, I'd still respond the same way I did... and I assume many others here would too.
Old 01-16-19, 11:38 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

To each their own. I don’t know why people get so upset with people wanting to do what they want with the car they purchased with their own money. The forums here are more about judging people than they are about helping. I personally wouldn’t try to do a burnout in any of my cars because it’s never interested me and I would feel like I’m damaging my car, but if I wanted to I would try to do it and not care what anyone else thinks. Just ignore the keyboard warriors and of course be safe out there. P.S. E46CT will be upset about anything out of the norm so not surprised there. Lol
Old 01-17-19, 08:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

People that buy these cars are typically on the mature side so don't be surprised if people aren't going to be entirely thrilled that you're asking how to do burnouts. This isn't really a Mustang forum.

Most LEOs would ticket you for burnouts or donuts as an exhibition of speed so you are essentially asking forum advice on how to do something illlegal and potentially dangerous--both of which I can't imagine the owners of this site being too thrilled about. This is why most forums ban street-racing talk.

It's not about you not owning an LF-A. It's about you asking advice on how to do something stupid. There have been many instances posted online where people crash into pedestrians because they were doing donuts or burnouts.

Aside from the fact it's not good for your car.

And to the other comment... for me... doing burnouts is not "the norm."
Old 01-17-19, 11:31 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
People that buy these cars are typically on the mature side so don't be surprised if people aren't going to be entirely thrilled that you're asking how to do burnouts. This isn't really a Mustang forum.

Most LEOs would ticket you for burnouts or donuts as an exhibition of speed so you are essentially asking forum advice on how to do something illlegal and potentially dangerous--both of which I can't imagine the owners of this site being too thrilled about. This is why most forums ban street-racing talk.

It's not about you not owning an LF-A. It's about you asking advice on how to do something stupid. There have been many instances posted online where people crash into pedestrians because they were doing donuts or burnouts.

Aside from the fact it's not good for your car.

And to the other comment... for me... doing burnouts is not "the norm."
That’s what I said, anything outside “your normal” you have something negative to say. You can’t let anyone be happy with their mods if you don’t like them lol.
Old 01-17-19, 12:35 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Flash5

That’s what I said, anything outside “your normal” you have something negative to say. You can’t let anyone be happy with their mods if you don’t like them lol.
I assume you are talking about when I state the fact that stock pads perform better than ceramic.

If you happen to perceive that stating objective fact as negativity, that's all on you. Some feel a personal need to defend their decisions because their money is in it but objective truth shouldn't be ignored. You can't close your eyes and pretend something doesn't exist.

I have an IS200t and talk trash about aspects of it. I call it slow. I don't care if my money is in it. If there's truth to be said about a product, I'll say it instead of sugarcoating it just cause i'm financially invested.

But this case doesn't have to do with "mods bro" or anything like that. It has to do with safety. Why encourage dangerous activity.
Old 01-17-19, 01:07 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
I assume you are talking about when I state the fact that stock pads perform better than ceramic.

If you happen to perceive that stating objective fact as negativity, that's all on you. Some feel a personal need to defend their decisions because their money is in it but objective truth shouldn't be ignored. You can't close your eyes and pretend something doesn't exist.

I have an IS200t and talk trash about aspects of it. I call it slow. I don't care if my money is in it. If there's truth to be said about a product, I'll say it instead of sugarcoating it just cause i'm financially invested.

But this case doesn't have to do with "mods bro" or anything like that. It has to do with safety. Why encourage dangerous activity.
Nope, even I’ve stated that the bite on ceramics is less. You just exaggerate everything and half your information is outdated. Might just be the age difference. Older people tend to be more stubborn and close minded no offense.
Old 01-17-19, 03:09 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Congrats on the big bump up from the Honda/economy sedan. I'm with yuh on that one. Have fun.

Im not for these standing brake+throttle burnouts but....when I've burned out rarely just by pure Acceleration (TC off) both my tires leave tread... no single tire-fire unless I'm cornering at low speeds. Sometimes a small and short break stand to help launch.

Is there no circumstances that the dif locks up for both wheels? Not sure how well these LSD work today. Assuming ours are limited slip.
Old 03-21-19, 12:54 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by loophole35

200t in dyno mode will waste a set of rear tires. Has a ton of torque.
what is dyno mode? is it maintenance mode?

either way how do you enable this?

Last edited by LouisV; 03-21-19 at 12:54 PM. Reason: double
Old 03-21-19, 12:57 PM
LouisV
Pit Crew

I was simply asking what it is...not flaming you.

and why do I want this enabled?

Quick Reply: Can't do a burnout for some reason?