K&N Typhoon intake - opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 09:03 AM
JonHT
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Default K&N Typhoon intake - opinions?

Sup all

planning on getting the F sport exhaust and the dealer offered me a deal with a K&N Typhoon Intake with it (both used)

any feedback on the intake or the combination of both?

thanks in avdance fam
Old 05-22-17, 10:31 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My $0.02 would be to get the exhaust system if it is installed by the dealer, in good condition, and at a good used price. Skip the intake altogether. Those oily filters will actually gum-up your intake system and mass airflow sensor faster and they often have a considerably more open weave that lets more fine dirt particles through. OEM air filters will do a better job of keeping your intake system cleaner over time and, thus, your car more reliable, albeit at a slightly more restrictive air intake rate. You won't notice a performance difference with an intake system either way, IMO.

Make sure the dealer installs the systems so that you benefit from their own dealer installation warranty, just in case the O2 sensors, mass airflow sensor, etc., throw any codes later on. Those kind of problems don't usually crop up right away.
Old 05-22-17, 10:38 AM
JonHT
Driver

Originally Posted by Machine13
My $0.02 would be to get the exhaust system if it is installed by the dealer, in good condition, and at a good used price. Skip the intake altogether. Those oily filters will actually gum-up your intake system and mass airflow sensor faster and they often have a considerably more open weave that lets more fine dirt particles through. OEM air filters will do a better job of keeping your intake system cleaner over time and, thus, your car more reliable, albeit at a slightly more restrictive air intake rate. You won't notice a performance difference with an intake system either way, IMO.

Make sure the dealer installs the systems so that you benefit from their own dealer installation warranty, just in case the O2 sensors, mass airflow sensor, etc., throw any codes later on. Those kind of problems don't usually crop up right away.

aye bro, thanks a lot
i was actually planning to raise the question about reliability and cost on car's performance.

thanks man
Old 05-22-17, 11:16 AM
Machine13
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

No problem bro. Also, if you do buy aftermarket systems, make sure to keep all the existing OEM parts, nuts, bolts, hangers, gaskets, etc., unless the dealer will buy the system back from you. That way if you ever need to re-install them, for whatever the reason, you have the parts.
Old 05-24-17, 04:43 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've run K&N Intakes on multiple past vehicles (all with mass airflow sensors) and never had a single issue. Everything from little 4 bangers to my 5.7 V8 HEMI Jeep. All ran like champs and never threw any error codes. If you're getting a good deal on the intake, I'd say go for it and I'm speaking from actual experience. That's my .02 ...
Old 05-24-17, 05:41 PM
JonHT
Driver

Originally Posted by Mike200T
I've run K&N Intakes on multiple past vehicles (all with mass airflow sensors) and never had a single issue. Everything from little 4 bangers to my 5.7 V8 HEMI Jeep. All ran like champs and never threw any error codes. If you're getting a good deal on the intake, I'd say go for it and I'm speaking from actual experience. That's my .02 ...
Ayee, thanks a lot bro!
The deal was so so in the end, he was offering 400$ for the intake and 1600$ for the used exhaust (which was why I ended up not going with the deal).
I found my own F Sport Exhaust, i'll check if I'll be going in for an aftermarket intake in the near future and keep your words in mind fam
Old 05-24-17, 06:35 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 296 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by JonHT
Ayee, thanks a lot bro!
The deal was so so in the end, he was offering 400$ for the intake and 1600$ for the used exhaust (which was why I ended up not going with the deal).
I found my own F Sport Exhaust, i'll check if I'll be going in for an aftermarket intake in the near future and keep your words in mind fam
Yeah that's pricey for a used F Sport exhaust and you did the right thing to walk away. I've had no issues with K&N filters (running it currently in my RCF).