which wires to tap (ML amp)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 06:14 PM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default which wires to tap (ML amp)

Hi all,
I'm trying to hook up an aftermarket sub and amp to my 2014 IS350 F sport (with mark levinson system). I wanted to tap into the rear speaker wires to connect to my LOC (LC2i) and my harness looked pretty much identical to the one in this thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...-too-easy.html), so I tapped the pins all the way on the end of the connector (GREEN/WHITE , PINK/BEIGE). I am not getting any signal to my LOC though, so the wires I tapped must not be giving any signal (I double checked by hooking a multimeter up to it and checking for voltage... there wasn't any coming off the wires). Does anyone know which wires are the rear speaker wires or sub wires on the 2014 IS350 w/ ML? I searched but could not find anything.
Thank you
Old 05-16-17, 09:01 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 249 Posts

ML and non-ML is different pinout.

Tap into the Subwoofer speaker as the other speakers are crossover for higher frequency and will be useless to get any sound for a subwoofer.

Factory Wiring schematics
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-a...qUqOo-XFwzvQTg

(Page 4 reference subwoofer wiring in diagram)

Last edited by specONE; 06-07-22 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
clov3r (05-16-17)
Old 05-16-17, 09:33 PM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
ML and non-ML is different pinout.

Tap into the Subwoofer speaker as the other speakers are crossover for higher frequency and will be useless to get any sound for a subwoofer.

Factory Wiring schematics
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-a...ew?usp=sharing
(Page 4 reference subwoofer wiring in diagram)
You sir (or maam), are a genius! I don't have my sub box installed since I took it out to diagnose the wiring problem, but I tried just hooking two wires up from the pins on page 4 to my LOC and it got power... so those seem to be the ones! I'll solder the wires on tomorrow after work and hook up my subs and hopefully it all should work. Thanks so much!!
Old 05-16-17, 10:18 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by clov3r
You sir (or maam), are a genius! I don't have my sub box installed since I took it out to diagnose the wiring problem, but I tried just hooking two wires up from the pins on page 4 to my LOC and it got power... so those seem to be the ones! I'll solder the wires on tomorrow after work and hook up my subs and hopefully it all should work. Thanks so much!!
You are using a LOC with a Remote line output to go to Amplifier? if Yes, Careful doing that.
I tried that very same thing but the signal was not clean enough to provide steady remote output throughout depending on the song and the Amplifier will turn on and off sporadically.
You may want to run a remote wire and tap to the cigarette lighter up front.
Old 05-17-17, 04:52 PM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by specONE
You are using a LOC with a Remote line output to go to Amplifier? if Yes, Careful doing that.
I tried that very same thing but the signal was not clean enough to provide steady remote output throughout depending on the song and the Amplifier will turn on and off sporadically.
You may want to run a remote wire and tap to the cigarette lighter up front.
Yes, that's how I was going to run it. I ran a remote wire to the fuse box area at the front just in case though... thanks for the tip. So... good news is I got everything wired and my LOC is getting signal and turning on. Bad news is those aren't the right wires... I am getting no sound from the sub, and when the car is turned off the LOC is still getting power. I removed the connections at the LOC and tested the new wires I just tapped into and they're giving off 12V even when the car isn't on. Honestly, I'm almost ready to just tap directly into the speakers on the rear deck for a signal... that wiring harness is so cut up now having soldered 8 wires in total and having to disconnect 4 of them (the ones from yesterday that weren't correct).
Old 05-17-17, 05:39 PM
specONE
Racer

Originally Posted by clov3r
Yes, that's how I was going to run it. I ran a remote wire to the fuse box area at the front just in case though... thanks for the tip. So... good news is I got everything wired and my LOC is getting signal and turning on. Bad news is those aren't the right wires... I am getting no sound from the sub, and when the car is turned off the LOC is still getting power. I removed the connections at the LOC and tested the new wires I just tapped into and they're giving off 12V even when the car isn't on. Honestly, I'm almost ready to just tap directly into the speakers on the rear deck for a signal... that wiring harness is so cut up now having soldered 8 wires in total and having to disconnect 4 of them (the ones from yesterday that weren't correct).
You tapped to Light Blue and Grey wire?

You need a tone generator to figure out which is the subwoofer wires.( http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Install-Bay-IBN-899-Lisle-Corp-Tool-Tone-Generator-RCA-Outputs-Each-IST13-IBN-899?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseFeed&gclid=CjwKEAjw6e_IBRDvorfv2Ku79jMSJAAuiv9YSWa6Hs8M7-Pk9bpYJWGUKt9DwfNKlz_xumj5NBM0jxoC95_w_wcB )
Thats what professionals use to confirm before tapping wires

You can also use a AA battery to pop the speaker but careful as 1.5 volts can do damage if you are on the wrong wires.
Old 05-18-17, 01:32 PM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Got it working! I tapped the wrong blue wire. Tapped the right ones and after running the remote wire to a switched fuse (I used the seat heaters) it worked (for some reason the autosense on the LOC didn't pick up on the signal from the speakers and turn itself on... I remembered you said you had issues w the remote turn on, so after I hooked up a dedicated remote wire it worked). Thanks for the help!

Last edited by clov3r; 05-18-17 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-08-18, 03:43 PM
Tonio23006
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non ML Amp

Would the sub wires be the same on the non ML Amp? I haven't been able to confirm whciw wires to tap
Old 10-08-18, 11:49 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Did you take any pictures of the sub wires you tapped into? How did you access them?
Old 10-09-18, 06:33 AM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonio23006
Would the sub wires be the same on the non ML Amp? I haven't been able to confirm whciw wires to tap
I did mine about a month ago, 4 wires to tap on the big harness and 1 wire to tap on the small harness for remote for the sub.

lets do the easy one, for the remote it's on the small harness, it is the small brown wire on the corner of the harness - closest to the back of the car.

on the big harness, if you look at it while it's still plugged in, the 4 wires are the closest ones towards the back of the car. you'll see a beige (L+) and pink (L-) and Green (R+) and white (R-) wires on the very corner of the harness. That's all you need to tap for your sub.

Also for the ground wire, there's a bolt on the right side that you can use behind the lining for ground wire. it was perfect, there's also already a wire there, i'm assuming it's for the stock sub.

Hope this helps. I have a 2016 is with NonML. I installed a self powered sub (bazooka sub) without problems.
Old 10-10-18, 04:26 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by chinox22x
I did mine about a month ago, 4 wires to tap on the big harness and 1 wire to tap on the small harness for remote for the sub.

lets do the easy one, for the remote it's on the small harness, it is the small brown wire on the corner of the harness - closest to the back of the car.

on the big harness, if you look at it while it's still plugged in, the 4 wires are the closest ones towards the back of the car. you'll see a beige (L+) and pink (L-) and Green (R+) and white (R-) wires on the very corner of the harness. That's all you need to tap for your sub.

Also for the ground wire, there's a bolt on the right side that you can use behind the lining for ground wire. it was perfect, there's also already a wire there, i'm assuming it's for the stock sub.

Hope this helps. I have a 2016 is with NonML. I installed a self powered sub (bazooka sub) without problems.
That was a perfect description. Now if somebody could do the same for ML amp, it would be awesome

Old 10-11-18, 02:26 PM
Tonio23006
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non ML Amp

Thank you so much I'm trying this today! I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 07-01-19, 06:00 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Raghza
That was a perfect description. Now if somebody could do the same for ML amp, it would be awesome
Can anybody provide instructions as detailed for the ML amp? Would love to get me some more bass this summer.
Old 11-18-19, 09:43 AM
GUILE88
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

People keep saying that it is a light blue and grey wire to tap that is not the case (the only light blue wire is thick don't tap it lol) it is a navy blue wire and grey twisted pair. There are only 2 navy wires in the harness. one is a navy blue / black pair that is for one of the front woofers. the navy blue and light grey wire pair is the rear deck sub. I ran my remote wire from the fuse box. Navy Blue is NEGATIVE and light grey is POSITIVE.

Last edited by GUILE88; 11-19-19 at 05:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Raghza (11-19-19)
Old 11-19-19, 02:37 AM
JKING3
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you try to tap the stock sub or just the rear door?

Quick Reply: which wires to tap (ML amp)