IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

When Your Gas Filler Door Doesn't Want to Stay Closed...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 09:22 AM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default When Your Gas Filler Door Doesn't Want to Stay Closed...

Just wanted to make a quick post that might save someone else from looking dumb at the dealership. I noticed that the outer fuel filler door (Not the cap) on my 2016 IS350 F Sport had resistance when trying to close/open it, and seemed to make more noise when locking/unlocking. It also seemed misaligned and would pop open on occasion. This went on for about a week before I got tired of it. I looked at it when I first noticed it, and didn't see anything out of place. I usually do my own work to my cars, so I was disappointed in myself when I took it to the Lexus dealership to have them look at it, expecting something to need to be adjusted or replaced. Turns out my first suspicion was correct, and somehow, the cable that ties down the gas cap had gotten twisted somehow. So, before you go to the dealer and make yourself look dumb, like I did, look a little harder into this possibility than just a glance. That is, unless you've got some time to kill and want to take advantage of the beverage bar and free carwash offered at your dealer.
The following users liked this post:
pearlLS460 (08-28-22)
Old 05-13-17, 10:46 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I would skip the carwash at the dealers... But glad you got the issue fixed. It would be annoying af. Ppl can steal yo gas lmao.
Old 05-13-17, 11:55 AM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife had similar problem last week with her IS 200t. The outer fuel door wouldn’t fully close. The dealer replaced a spring under warranty and now it’s OK.
Old 05-13-17, 12:58 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 111 Posts

Read through this thread, I have had the same issue with my gas door. I had to have the whole thing replaced.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ith-locks.html
Old 05-14-17, 01:09 AM
350Alex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nathantse
I would skip the carwash at the dealers... But glad you got the issue fixed. It would be annoying af. Ppl can steal yo gas lmao.
I usually do. The dealer I bought my car at, is only a machine one. I only let them do the wash at this dealer after a full interrogation of the service advisor. Haha

Originally Posted by Magellan
My wife had similar problem last week with her IS 200t. The outer fuel door wouldn’t fully close. The dealer replaced a spring under warranty and now it’s OK.
Originally Posted by evltwn
Read through this thread, I have had the same issue with my gas door. I had to have the whole thing replaced.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ith-locks.html
Thanks for the info guys. This type of thing is what I thought it was, but it's working well enough so far. Going to keep an eye on it.
Old 08-28-18, 12:46 PM
streborc
Driver School Candidate

This happened to me today on my 2008 GX -- the door would not latch when closed. I have no idea why things fell out of alignment on a mechanism that gets minimal use. I fixed the problem with a pair of pliers by squeezing the leaf on the catch tab just a bit. The attached photo shows where to place the pliers. Don't over-do it -- just a little bit at a time, and try it until it's OK.

Last edited by streborc; 08-28-18 at 12:49 PM. Reason: change wording
Old 08-28-18, 03:28 PM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
ditto, hand wash with microfiber mitts and two bucket method only. and touchless washes in the winter time with air dry.
Old 08-01-19, 10:48 AM
bigchief8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Alex
Just wanted to make a quick post that might save someone else from looking dumb at the dealership. I noticed that the outer fuel filler door (Not the cap) on my 2016 IS350 F Sport had resistance when trying to close/open it, and seemed to make more noise when locking/unlocking. It also seemed misaligned and would pop open on occasion. This went on for about a week before I got tired of it. I looked at it when I first noticed it, and didn't see anything out of place. I usually do my own work to my cars, so I was disappointed in myself when I took it to the Lexus dealership to have them look at it, expecting something to need to be adjusted or replaced. Turns out my first suspicion was correct, and somehow, the cable that ties down the gas cap had gotten twisted somehow. So, before you go to the dealer and make yourself look dumb, like I did, look a little harder into this possibility than just a glance. That is, unless you've got some time to kill and want to take advantage of the beverage bar and free carwash offered at your dealer.
Thanks for the advice, that was exactly the problem with my 2014 is 350. I took the gas cap off and let it hang then reinstalled to let the plastic tether naturally fall into place, now the door closes perfectly.
Old 08-28-22, 06:55 PM
pearlLS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yup

Originally Posted by 350Alex
I'm very mechanical and do everything myself. I looked at my fuel door which was doing the same. Nothing seemed out of place. But after reading your post it was indeed the problem on my RC350! Thanks for saving me!