IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

How do you wash/clean your IS?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 10:55 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Not sure where in CA you live, but if it's in a somewhat aired climate (low humidity), to increase the time you can go between washes, I've had great luck with a dusting / spray detailing / spray waxing regime. Starting with a clean car, I can go for weeks without washing with just a daily or bi-daily dusting then spray detail, takes like 5 minutes. Love the Griot's Garage line of products.

The hard-core guys will advise against any kind of dry dusting (micro fiber, duster or blower) however I've noticed no spider-webbing or ill effects from it, but I have the mica paint, so maybe that hides it? Works for me, but proceed at your own preference.

When I do wash, I wash with the two bucket method and use a blower to dry (and dust). I've now got two of my neighbors blowing their cars to dry and dust.

EDIT: Just read in a previous post that you live in the bay area, so probably too wet and humid to use dusting protocol.
Dusting will be hard, after a day or two the car will be covered in grime.. not sure if its from the brake dust or just dust in general that got soaked with the misty atmosphere. Leaf blower in the other hand...will get my neighbors mad af. lmao.

Originally Posted by SwiftIS
That is true. You can use any spray wax/sealant during drying. I'm a huge fan of CG V7 hybrid during drying. Buy the gallon
I think this will be the most effective way for me to dry. Any secret tips on how to do this the right way? (Haven't done it before)
Old 04-23-17, 02:04 PM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
I think this will be the most effective way for me to dry. Any secret tips on how to do this the right way? (Haven't done it before)
Not much to it really. Light mists goes a long way.
Old 04-23-17, 02:20 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Thanks! How water absorbent are these though? They aren't marketed as drying towels.

I also heard that using detailer spray or quick wax drying will decrease the chance of scratching as well as leaving some protectant?
These are pretty thick, I usually use them when using quick detailer spray. But i think they'd do a good job drying as well.

and yes, the spray decreases scratching on the vehicle. I use it quite often after washes.
Old 04-23-17, 07:19 PM
klycambo
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by EMOgs3
I use chemical guys honeydew foam soap. The more soap u use the more foam it is. But you only need a little bit of the soap and the rest water
I have a 1700psi Electric and I use the Matte/Satin soap from Chemical Guys and I don't get that much suds like they do. Like its kind of runny. What kind of foam cannon do you have?
Old 04-23-17, 08:52 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Soo.. the foam gun I had purchase from Amazon came today. Going to test it out soon.

Wondering if anyone can give me the proper steps on how to efficiently use a foam gun/cannon to wash the car.

I was thinking maybe in this order:

1. Rinse
2. Foam
3. Leave the foam on car, proceed to 2 bucket method
4. Rinse
5. Dry with spray wax

Please correct me if there is something missing, or completely out of place lol.
Old 04-24-17, 05:35 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Unless your paint is heavily soiled with mud, you can skip step 1. Soap clings better to dry paint.
Old 04-24-17, 10:09 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
Unless your paint is heavily soiled with mud, you can skip step 1. Soap clings better to dry paint.
If that's a case, should I foam, rinse, foam again?

Because I'm thinking if leave the 1st foam on a dirty can and proceed to do two bucket, I might be just moving grit/dirt on the paint.
Old 04-25-17, 07:30 AM
jhardy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I got my car coated with ceramicpro. I use 2 bucket method and dry with CG quick detailer and a waffle-weave drying towel. After using quick detailer for about a year with no issues, I started noticing it leaves streaks. I never had this happen before. Any ideas what would cause this? I wash my car early in the morning (around 7:30) since it's better to do so when your paint is cool.
Old 04-25-17, 08:03 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jhardy
I got my car coated with ceramicpro. I use 2 bucket method and dry with CG quick detailer and a waffle-weave drying towel. After using quick detailer for about a year with no issues, I started noticing it leaves streaks. I never had this happen before. Any ideas what would cause this? I wash my car early in the morning (around 7:30) since it's better to do so when your paint is cool.
What detergent do you use to wash your towels? It's possible it's not picking up the quick detailer as effective as when the towels were new. Humidity also plays a role.
Old 04-25-17, 09:08 AM
jhardy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
What detergent do you use to wash your towels? It's possible it's not picking up the quick detailer as effective as when the towels were new. Humidity also plays a role.
I've always used Micro-Restore Detergent from detailed image.
Old 05-05-17, 03:23 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

I gave the Gilmour Foam gun a try a few days ago. Filled it with about 1.5 cap full of meg's gold class, and filled the rest of the bottle with water. I used it on Setting "C".

I have to say the results are pretty good, it coats the car in studs, and made it easier to rinse off dirt. I foamed it twice before moving onto the bucket method.

I used spray wax as an aid to dry, which worked pretty well. It gave the car an extra shine/protection, and made drying easier.

I will be doing this routine again in a few weeks!

Question: Is there any benefits of putting OPC in the foam gun? Would it make cleaning easier? Losen up dirt?
Old 05-05-17, 03:32 PM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Lately I've been doing a waterless wash using Chemical guys, ecosmart. Have done it 3 weeks in a row...no scratches or swirls of any kind. Best part about it...takes me 5-7 min to do the whole car.
Old 06-03-17, 04:20 AM
williex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Guys what are your impressions on steam cleaning car