IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

L/Certified 2 Months Old - Car Wouldn't Start In Morning - Am I Covered?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17, 12:37 PM
maxutil
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L/Certified 2 Months Old - Car Wouldn't Start In Morning - Am I Covered?

I just got an L-Certified 2014 IS 250 a couple months ago, and this morning when I went to start the car, I got a bunch of clicking noises and flashing lights. The car wouldn't start as normal. I tried a few more times, and the car wouldn't start, so I called the L-Certified number and they sent a tow truck to me. The tow truck guy said my battery is completely drained, and he had trouble charging up the battery. It took about 15 min of him revving the truck's engine and then multiple more attempts before the car finally started. Then, in the speedometer area it says TRAC OFF, and the traction control button isn't doing anything. Also, the service engine light came on.

I drove straight to the closest dealership and explained my issues. They told me they would run the diagnostics and let me know if I am covered under warranty. Do these issues sound to you car experts like the certified warranty would cover the repairs? The dealership told me they won't have an answer until tomorrow. This is also a bad sign that a CPO car this new off the lot is already giving me trouble. I hope this doesn't mean I'll have a nightmare ownership experience heading my way.
Old 04-11-17, 12:44 PM
maxutil
Driver School Candidate

From the Lexus website:

Repairs made under this warranty will be made at no cost to you. Except for excluded components (see below), this warranty covers any repair or replacement of components that fail under normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship, such as: engine, transmission, steering, brakes (excluding rotors and pads), fuel system, cooling, A/C and heating systems, electrical, and restraint systems.

EXCLUDED COMPONENTS
The following component groups are excluded from coverage under the L/Certified Limited Warranty: standard upkeep items, wear and tear items, some parts of body and interior, accessories, and some other components. Please see the L/Certified Limited Warranty Supplement and Roadside Assistance Guide or your Lexus dealer for details.
Old 04-11-17, 12:47 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

2014s have battery drain issues. They should be able to fix it though.
Old 04-11-17, 12:55 PM
maxutil
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
Thanks I didn't know this was a common issue. I see the thread I linked below, and the problems described there are exactly my experience. I will keep reading that thread.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...d-threads.html
Old 04-11-17, 11:12 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ

What battery drain issues are you talking about? I have a 2014, and the only reason I have had to replace my battery, is because the Arizona heat is brutal on car batteries. Doesn't matter what you drive, you will replace your battery here in AZ every 24-36 months. My original battery made it about 2 1/2 years before it was replaced under warranty. Same with my 2011 IS250 FSport.
Old 04-11-17, 11:24 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by evltwn
What battery drain issues are you talking about? I have a 2014, and the only reason I have had to replace my battery, is because the Arizona heat is brutal on car batteries. Doesn't matter what you drive, you will replace your battery here in AZ every 24-36 months. My original battery made it about 2 1/2 years before it was replaced under warranty. Same with my 2011 IS250 FSport.
It's a well known issue on the 2014 models. There is a fix for it but it involves replacing some components and not just the battery.

The poster above supplied the link to the discussion.
Old 04-12-17, 12:24 AM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
It's a well known issue on the 2014 models. There is a fix for it but it involves replacing some components and not just the battery.

The poster above supplied the link to the discussion.
Guess I'm just one of the lucky ones, because I've never had any of these issues that others have had.