IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buzzing noise in cabin from HVAC

Old 03-22-17, 02:42 PM
nulex1
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buzzing noise in cabin from HVAC

Does anyone know what this noise is from? Has anyone experienced this before?

Ive heard this noise now for a second time but my hvac is off and randomly made this noise and then went away?

It's a 2014 Lexus IS 350 F sport..
Old 03-22-17, 02:58 PM
nulex1
Rookie

This
Originally Posted by nulex1
Does anyone know what this noise is from? Has anyone experienced this before?

Ive heard this noise now for a second time but my hvac is off and randomly made this noise and then went away?

It's a 2014 Lexus IS 350 F sport..
Old 03-22-17, 04:07 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 148 Likes on 90 Posts

Does it go away after a few minutes but seems to be there on cold mornings only?

I have a sound that sounds a bit like an old dirty computer fan and it only occurs when it is cold. The noise starts a few minutes after starting the car and goes away in a minute or 2. I think there is a small fan that is cooling the radio or HVAC controls and it is just noisey on cold days.

Does that sound like what you are experiencing?
Old 03-22-17, 08:29 PM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a similar sound, but not continuous.
Old 03-22-17, 09:22 PM
nulex1
Rookie

[QUOTE=brendanf;9810606]Does it go away after a few minutes but seems to be there on cold mornings only?

I have a sound that sounds a bit like an old dirty computer fan and it only occurs when it is cold. The noise starts a few minutes after starting the car and goes away in a minute or 2. I think there is a small fan that is cooling the radio or HVAC controls and it is just noisey on cold days.

Does that sound like what you are experiencing?[/QUOTE

it was cold out lasted about just under a minute or so. I turned on the unit and put on full blast heat and it was normal again...noise didnt happen upon first start up gradually came on this odd roaring or buzzing sound. It was louder than my engine at idle...sounds similar to the noise of the rear of vehicle makes the fuel pump in which I hear from time to time buzzing ....
Old 03-22-17, 09:24 PM
nulex1
Rookie

Originally Posted by AMNss
I have a similar sound, but not continuous.
sounds like a servo likely behind the glove box
Old 03-22-17, 09:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Could it be the blower motor? I feel mine is a little noisy, but I have no other car to compare it too. If the car is still under warranty, bring it in. I am making my list.
Old 03-22-17, 09:34 PM
nulex1
Rookie

[QUOTE=nulex1;9810969]
Originally Posted by brendanf
Does it go away after a few minutes but seems to be there on cold mornings only?

Does that sound like what you are experiencing?[/QUOTE

it was cold out lasted about just under a minute or so. I turned on the unit and put on full blast heat and it was normal again...noise didnt happen upon first start up gradually came on this odd roaring or buzzing sound. It was louder than my engine at idle...sounds similar to the noise of the rear of vehicle makes the fuel pump in which I hear from time to time buzzing ....

Old 03-22-17, 10:11 PM
nulex1
Rookie

Originally Posted by 387
Could it be the blower motor? I feel mine is a little noisy, but I have no other car to compare it too. If the car is still under warranty, bring it in. I am making my list.
could be something to do not sure ... dealer can never replicate issues always say keep monitoring and give us more details and come back again ...
Old 03-23-17, 03:14 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Nulex1 that sound you posted with the car not running is probably the EVAP test running. It should happen about 5 hours AFTER the car runs and is normal. It is actually documented in the manual.
Old 03-23-17, 03:15 AM
brendanf
Advanced

AMNss what you posted is similiar to mine but mine stays constant for a minute or 2 and is never heard from again until
thr next cold morning.
Old 03-23-17, 06:21 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

sounds like a servo likely behind the glove box
I thought about it, but I cannot confirm since the dealership cannot replicate it.
Originally Posted by brendanf
AMNss what you posted is similiar to mine but mine stays constant for a minute or 2 and is never heard from again until
thr next cold morning.
It happened during cold mornings to me too. It makes the sound for 2 minutes then the sound disappears. I started running the AC since I suspected the servo and some air could clean the path and after running the AC the noises disappeared.
Old 03-23-17, 03:47 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

could be something to do not sure ... dealer can never replicate issues always say keep monitoring and give us more details and come back again ...
If you say it sounds like an old Computer Fan behind the glove box, that's your Blower Motor Fan is on the way to heaven, took my 2011 IS350 AWD 4 years for the Fan to completely DIED, there a thread with Gen3 talking about this issue. tell Lexus to unplug the Fan power when you have the AC/heater on if it doesn't make any noise Blower Fan is your issue.
Old 03-25-17, 11:54 AM
Barnesie
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this same noise coming from my 2014 IS 250. It only happened on cold mornings. The dealer said it was a faulty fan behind the radio and ended up replacing the whole radio unit. Hope this helps.
Old 04-12-17, 03:55 PM
AlexTheMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same noise from my 2014 IS350 similar to what AMNss posted. Happens on cold mornings for a minute or so after starting the car. The care is at the dealer now for an oil change and I asked them to check for the noise. Interestingly, they were able to duplicate it after they kept the car overnight. They diagnosed it as coming from the evaporator box. They have the part on order and they expect to finish the repair in a couple of days.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buzzing noise in cabin from HVAC