IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Steering wheel wobbles/vibrates when braking

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 04:44 AM
stevelifts
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Steering wheel wobbles/vibrates when braking

I have been noticing my steering wheel wobbles/ vibrates quite a bit when coming to a hard brake and stop when driving speed of 50mph and greater. It wobbles enough for me to hold the steering wheel with both hands. I had the front brakes replaced last march 2016. Wondering what the issue may be hmm
Old 03-20-17, 06:11 AM
Sheddy
Lexus Champion

Received 409 Likes on 312 Posts

The brake rotors are going bad.
Old 03-20-17, 07:22 AM
zcon
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Could be a balancing issue, a wheel weight may have fallen off or something else may have happened to throw it out of balance.
Old 03-20-17, 08:23 AM
cFoo
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely wheel balance issue. As mentioned above, either your wheel weight felt off or you took out a chunk of the rubber.
Old 03-20-17, 08:27 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If it was a wheel balance issue I would expect it to be wobbling at all times, not just during braking. I too suspect an issue with the rotors. How many miles are on them?
Old 03-20-17, 08:56 AM
stevelifts
Driver

Originally Posted by JDR76
If it was a wheel balance issue I would expect it to be wobbling at all times, not just during braking. I too suspect an issue with the rotors. How many miles are on them?
44000 miles currently
Old 03-20-17, 08:59 AM
stevelifts
Driver

I too suspect brake rotors are going bad. Should i aim to replace all four brake rotors?
Old 03-20-17, 09:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by stevelifts
I too suspect brake rotors are going bad. Should i aim to replace all four brake rotors?
I'd bet your rear rotors are fine.
Old 03-20-17, 09:21 AM
stevelifts
Driver

I noticed a significant amount of rust on my two front brake rotors. Now my dilemma is whether to take it to the dealership or a local auto shop that i built a relationship with to have them change the brake rotors since when it comes to fixing cars im not mechanically inclined and esp dealing with the braking system i dont wanna take the chance and do it myself. How much should i look to pay for labor and parts altogether?
Old 03-20-17, 10:13 AM
stevelifts
Driver

Just called dealership near my way and they quoted me $380 for labor and parts for replacing the two front rotors and thats before tax. anyone brought their car to toyota and have it done there?
Old 03-20-17, 10:42 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

First off, you have to make a clear distinction between your two problems.

Your steering wheel vibrations, are they due to your braking or despite your braking?

If due to your braking, you likely have pad deposits on your rotors. You shouldn't--there's an underlying problem possibly due to overheating of some sort--usually caused by a stuck or slow to react caliper piston or sliding hardware. In other words, you could have rust on your brakes. Or possibly crappy brake pads (are they factory or aftermarket?) Check with the installer what brand they used. Poor pads overheat fast. Overheating=pad deposits. Pad deposits=vibration. Make sure Pro lexus pads are used.

The other option due to braking could be a failed control arm bushing or some other associated balljoint (rare)

If your vibrations are independent of braking, then obviously you have a balancing problem or out of round wheel or tire. Make sure you have quality name brand tires and no damage to the wheels. You could have all the above going on. Start with a clean slate (literally clean), use all quality parts all the time (avoid junk brand aftermarket crap when possible), start with undamaged quality wheels/tires, balancing job (make sure the balancing machine is calibrated--this means do not go to mickey mouse tire shops), etc. In other words, money=quality. Don't cheap out in any and all of the above steps.

There's some hit or miss or misinformation in this thread. You can take my advice though, I practically wrote the book on diagnosing this (and a ton of other stuff) over in the BMW world. Same crap applies. Surprised having to pass my diagnoses/repair experience/knowledge onto such a new platform but I guess this car is aging to the point where unknown factors/players/mechanics/parts can really start causing messes. People are now on their 1st, 2nd brake pad change out of warranty maybe, so now more factors creeping in. We'll probably start to see more problem posts like this. Watch where you take your cars, people. No cheaping out on anything especially brake related. GL i hope you get it resolved!
Old 03-20-17, 10:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by E46CT
First off, you have to make a clear distinction between your two problems.

Your steering wheel vibrations, are they due to your braking or despite your braking?
In both the original post and the thread title the poster states it is during braking.
Old 03-20-17, 01:34 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

It sounds like the front rotors are warped from your description in the original post.
As they are only a year old, there is likely enough material on them to be machined straight. This should eliminate both the rust and the vibration/wobble.
Alternately you could just replace them with the same result...however machining them will be a lot cheaper.
Old 03-20-17, 02:40 PM
pnoygil
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like the rotors are wrapped which cause of overheating. Start with Resurfacing your 2 front rotors. And if you are replacing it u should replace with drilled and slonted rotor..
Old 03-20-17, 07:11 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

YOu have Brake Pad from dealers ? or aftermarket ? i used aftermarket pads on my 2011 IS350 it does that when braking at high speed, you'll feel like its skipping, the best and cheap is use Aftermarket rotors but Dealer's Pads

Quick Reply: Steering wheel wobbles/vibrates when braking