IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Squeaking noise- in cabin or outside can't tell

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 04:44 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubted it was a bearing. He mentioned I'll have to sign some papers stating the car is unsafe to drive. Secondly he mentioned that the noise is horrible. I mean I know this will sound far fetched but if I hear the noise full force when I pick up tomorrow, what do I do?
Old 03-20-17, 07:06 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by isosunrise
I doubted it was a bearing. He mentioned I'll have to sign some papers stating the car is unsafe to drive. Secondly he mentioned that the noise is horrible. I mean I know this will sound far fetched but if I hear the noise full force when I pick up tomorrow, what do I do?
Does the warranty cover wheel bearing ? wheeling bearing makes noise when you drive the car 40km+ 30mile+ the faster the bigger noise, the noise would be woooo woooo wooo wooo like some winter tires, they wants you to sign the paper its not safe to drive ? tell them to fix it if they think it's not safe if your car still under warranty, it's their Lexus, DON"T SIGN ANYTHING, ask them if the warranty cover that, what year is your car and where do you live ? even if your car is 2014 its still under warranty, Lexus warranty is 4years/80k km here in Canada but i'm not sure if they cover wheel bearing though, No one has the right to force you to sign anything, F those dealer guys i hate those guys in there they sounds stupid and always want your $$$$

Ask them if they went for a test drive and what speed does it make noise and what kind of noise, no bearing will make noise when you go 5km/10km per hour, i never experienced that before, remember Wheel bearing makes Wooo wooo woooo noise not squeaking, squeaking noise sounds like strut shock strut mount or dash to me, endlink makes clunking noise, control arm bushing make similar noise but when they really go bad bad, Lexus Balljoint and wheel Bearing hard to break, or bring to another dealer or an independent shop.
Old 03-21-17, 04:12 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Solara350
Does the warranty cover wheel bearing ? wheeling bearing makes noise when you drive the car 40km+ 30mile+ the faster the bigger noise, the noise would be woooo woooo wooo wooo like some winter tires, they wants you to sign the paper its not safe to drive ? tell them to fix it if they think it's not safe if your car still under warranty, it's their Lexus, DON"T SIGN ANYTHING, ask them if the warranty cover that, what year is your car and where do you live ? even if your car is 2014 its still under warranty, Lexus warranty is 4years/80k km here in Canada but i'm not sure if they cover wheel bearing though, No one has the right to force you to sign anything, F those dealer guys i hate those guys in there they sounds stupid and always want your $$$$

Ask them if they went for a test drive and what speed does it make noise and what kind of noise, no bearing will make noise when you go 5km/10km per hour, i never experienced that before, remember Wheel bearing makes Wooo wooo woooo noise not squeaking, squeaking noise sounds like strut shock strut mount or dash to me, endlink makes clunking noise, control arm bushing make similar noise but when they really go bad bad, Lexus Balljoint and wheel Bearing hard to break, or bring to another dealer or an independent shop.
Normally the warranty covers that. However they are claiming that the reason it's broken is because of incident with bent rim a few weeks ago. Frankly my advisor is a ****. I'm any event I picked up my car same situation but not worse. They did install a new strut covered under warranty.
Old 03-22-17, 05:42 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Still hearing noise but now worse. I feel like it's more Donny steering. At low speeds over a bump the wheel does move obviously.. reversing today I heard it while backing into a spot in my garage. Wasn't there a TSB about a noise in the steering wheel....
Old 03-22-17, 06:17 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Still hearing noise but now worse. I feel like it's more Donny steering. At low speeds over a bump the wheel does move obviously.. reversing today I heard it while backing into a spot in my garage. Wasn't there a TSB about a noise in the steering wheel....
Sounds like Balljoint, does it make grinding noise when you slowly turn ? like almost all the way ? if you turn with fast speed it makes loud squeaking noise and yes wheel moves when go over a bump, dealers said Bearing...hmmm have you tested ? do me a favor, go on empty road turn off everything go 30mile-50mile (40km-60km) if you hear wooo woooh wooh that's the wheel bearing, to know if it's left or right you go straigh and turn your steering left to right fast, the noise will change which side has more noise that side is a culprit, to make sure you go to a local mechanic shop lift up your car have someone on the car drive to car to 100km per hour with traction off in the air, use the DR telescoop and listen to every wheel.

Bad wheel bearing will make noise at 40km+ 30mile+ the fast speed the louder noise, check your endlinks too make sure they all tight, you're already there tell the mechanic to check your bushing too, especially the Swaybar Bushing front and Rear, bad endlink swaybar bushing strut and strut mount makes similar noise, sometime loosen brake pad also make noise over a bump.

My own car, i was paying attention to the noise lately, i think it's the aftermarket brake pad, Strut mount still good checked ! balljoint bearing good checked ! endlink and bushing checked ! i haven't look at the brake system, today from work to home i turned off everything including heating and electric, bearing were fine except the unmatch tires from the front to rear noises. 1 thing making me headache right now is the RPM Tachometer dipping, i don't know anything about Electrical. If i bring to dealership they will SCREW ME UP FOR SURE.

My suggestion ! go make friend with a local shop, build relationship with Coffee and Candy lol you'll save your $$ in the bottom line in Toronto Canada 150$ CAD + Tax just to diagnostic at Lexus Dealership, i had broken Blower Fan for heater/AC in my old 2011 IS350, dealer wants 700$ CAD to complete the job, my mechanic buddy did it for 300$ with OEM part. he only charged me 60$ labor

Last edited by Solara350; 03-22-17 at 06:24 PM.
Old 03-22-17, 07:38 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Solara350
Sounds like Balljoint, does it make grinding noise when you slowly turn ? like almost all the way ? if you turn with fast speed it makes loud squeaking noise and yes wheel moves when go over a bump, dealers said Bearing...hmmm have you tested ? do me a favor, go on empty road turn off everything go 30mile-50mile (40km-60km) if you hear wooo woooh wooh that's the wheel bearing, to know if it's left or right you go straigh and turn your steering left to right fast, the noise will change which side has more noise that side is a culprit, to make sure you go to a local mechanic shop lift up your car have someone on the car drive to car to 100km per hour with traction off in the air, use the DR telescoop and listen to every wheel.

Bad wheel bearing will make noise at 40km+ 30mile+ the fast speed the louder noise, check your endlinks too make sure they all tight, you're already there tell the mechanic to check your bushing too, especially the Swaybar Bushing front and Rear, bad endlink swaybar bushing strut and strut mount makes similar noise, sometime loosen brake pad also make noise over a bump.

My own car, i was paying attention to the noise lately, i think it's the aftermarket brake pad, Strut mount still good checked ! balljoint bearing good checked ! endlink and bushing checked ! i haven't look at the brake system, today from work to home i turned off everything including heating and electric, bearing were fine except the unmatch tires from the front to rear noises. 1 thing making me headache right now is the RPM Tachometer dipping, i don't know anything about Electrical. If i bring to dealership they will SCREW ME UP FOR SURE.

My suggestion ! go make friend with a local shop, build relationship with Coffee and Candy lol you'll save your $$ in the bottom line in Toronto Canada 150$ CAD + Tax just to diagnostic at Lexus Dealership, i had broken Blower Fan for heater/AC in my old 2011 IS350, dealer wants 700$ CAD to complete the job, my mechanic buddy did it for 300$ with OEM part. he only charged me 60$ labor
No grinding at all and for sure not a wheel bearing, I had a bad one on a G37 coupe I had once, it was loud and noticeable. I'm only hearing this with radio low or off. Only heard at lower speeds. Hearing it mostly now when low speed and moving wheel slowly. Im going to try and record tomorrow- may be able to get something there.

No change to diagnose here since car is under warranty. I'm thinking of bringing to a different dealer and playing dumb. Just hoping they don't look up past service records.
Old 03-23-17, 03:53 PM
Solara350
Instructor

No grinding at all and for sure not a wheel bearing, I had a bad one on a G37 coupe I had once, it was loud and noticeable. I'm only hearing this with radio low or off. Only heard at lower speeds. Hearing it mostly now when low speed and moving wheel slowly. Im going to try and record tomorrow- may be able to get something there.

No change to diagnose here since car is under warranty. I'm thinking of bringing to a different dealer and playing dumb. Just hoping they don't look up past service records.
Good thought ! bring it to another dealer and play dumb because your car still under warranty, record a video, at what speed does it make noise,
Old 03-24-17, 07:25 AM
is250MN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem on my 2015 250 AWD... Took it into the Lexus dealer and they had the car for five days... Said they found the issue and replaced the strut on the front drivers side and lubed all the bearings. Mechanics claimed that took care of the noise. Picked it up from the dealership and the Fiance and I heard it almost right away. Dealership assured me that whatever noise I'm hearing isn't a issue since they checked everything. Going to take it to another Lexus dealership in a few weeks and see if they say the same thing. For now I'll just have the stereo drown out the sound because it drives me nuts.
Old 03-24-17, 01:12 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Originally Posted by is250MN
I have the same problem on my 2015 250 AWD... Took it into the Lexus dealer and they had the car for five days... Said they found the issue and replaced the strut on the front drivers side and lubed all the bearings. Mechanics claimed that took care of the noise. Picked it up from the dealership and the Fiance and I heard it almost right away. Dealership assured me that whatever noise I'm hearing isn't a issue since they checked everything. Going to take it to another Lexus dealership in a few weeks and see if they say the same thing. For now I'll just have the stereo drown out the sound because it drives me nuts.
Bet they didn't even do anything because THEY CAN"T REPLICATE THE NOISE, they knew there is noise over a bump on the left Driver side like yours mine and thread owner here, but they just can't fix it, we bought a defect car ! my car is 70k km now 10k more to go for the warranty, Lexus gonna drive you around until you're out of wack and they hammer you with repair cost.

I'll check the little piece under the front bumper right before your wheel and the wheel liner maybe they rub. Otherwise it's the dash and nothing they will do with dashboard.
Old 10-29-18, 12:10 PM
SideFX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2014 Lexus IS350 F sport and replaced both my Wheel Hub Assemblies for cheap. Bought off eBay for $55ea and installed myself. All you need is some locktight for the wheel hub bolts, a torque wrench, and some lubricant to break some of the rust away since they are press on hubs. So between a few hours of my time and $105, I have 2 new hubs. WINNING!!