How to fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 08:30 AM
pandatroop
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy How to fix this?

Hey ClubLexus members,
So I brought my car to the shop a few days ago to do alignment and have my brake changed. Everything was fine until I discovered that my fender was damaged. I'm not really sure what happened, but i'm thinking that the damage was caused by their tools when they were working on my brakes. I will bring my car back to the shop and explain to them about the situation. Just in case the shop won't fix it, what can I do to fix the damage? Can I just use touch up paint as a quick fix?
Attached Thumbnails How to fix this?-img_2440.jpg   How to fix this?-img_2441.jpg  
Old 01-27-17, 10:56 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Ouch! By the looks of it, it is starting to rust so it might have happened a while back.
Your car is also very dirty which means you haven't looked at it recently to be able to notice it.
The damage is on the top side of the fender, so I think this is from a large rock chip on the highway. I have a small one on the same location.
Tools will scratch the paint but not cause that kind of damage.
Touch up paint won't fix that. The paint and primer is completely gone and you're looking at bare metal. The paint is starting to flake off so you want to take care of it ASAP.
That part will have to be sanded down and paint again. Otherwise, rust will settle in and spread.
Old 01-27-17, 12:31 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr
Ouch! By the looks of it, it is starting to rust so it might have happened a while back.
Your car is also very dirty which means you haven't looked at it recently to be able to notice it.
The damage is on the top side of the fender, so I think this is from a large rock chip on the highway. I have a small one on the same location.
Tools will scratch the paint but not cause that kind of damage.
Touch up paint won't fix that. The paint and primer is completely gone and you're looking at bare metal. The paint is starting to flake off so you want to take care of it ASAP.
That part will have to be sanded down and paint again. Otherwise, rust will settle in and spread.
i agree. the result of some sort of impact perhaps...road hazard.
Old 01-27-17, 01:02 PM
pandatroop
Driver

Thanks for the inputs guys. I went to the shop and they said the same thing. It's just suck that I'm not sure what really happened. It could've happened on the road or at the shop. How much do you guys think this would cost?
Old 01-27-17, 01:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

It looks like the front tire caught the fender when your steering wheel was turned and suspension compressed coming out of a steep incline or slope.

How low is your car and do you have spacers?
Old 01-27-17, 02:13 PM
pandatroop
Driver

I'm on RSR Super Down and 25mm spacers on the front.
Old 01-27-17, 02:18 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I really think this is from a paint chip left unnoticed and unattended for a period of time.
You can tell from the damage. The cracks you see on your paint is caused by corrosion, which takes time (days-weeks).
Once corrosion sets in, it will actually lift the paint from the bare metal, that is why your paint is flaking and cracking.
If you look at your picture, most of the damage there is due to rust and corrosion, and not from an impact.
It is classic rust damage, peeling/cracked paint, small cracks that branches out, and obvious discoloration of the metal.

If the damage occurred at the shop, it must have been weeks ago.
Old 01-27-17, 02:37 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Originally Posted by pandatroop
Thanks for the inputs guys. I went to the shop and they said the same thing. It's just suck that I'm not sure what really happened. It could've happened on the road or at the shop. How much do you guys think this would cost?
paint shop could fix that fast and cheap...less than $200.
Old 01-27-17, 02:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pandatroop
I'm on RSR Super Down and 25mm spacers on the front.
Yeah, your tire definitely did that. .

To fix it on budget, I would get some crazy glue and try and get some behind the big flakes of chipping paint to keep them in place. You don't want to peel them off or else more of the edge of your fender will be uneven, making it more noticeable, just make sure you hold the flake tight up again the sheet metal. Once this is done, you can use the touch up paint to cover it up and build layers over time and then maybe eventually wetsand and polish to level the touchup paint with the existing paint.

Honestly, to get this repaired properly without messing anything else up on the car, you would have to find a body shop which can keep the work area and blend area small so the new paint blends in with the existing paint that meets fender and the doors and that will not be cheap.
Old 01-27-17, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

With fast and cheap, you get what you pay for. In order to fix this right, you'd need to pull the fender off, sand that area of the arch down and then seal/prime it before you lay new base coat in that area and this takes time. With a $200 job, you'll probably get clear coat runs, dust, orange orange peel, solvent pops and getting overspray all over the car making it worse than before.
Old 01-27-17, 08:24 PM
pandatroop
Driver

Thank you all. I will take it to the shop for a quote on Monday.
Old 01-27-17, 08:34 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 387
With fast and cheap, you get what you pay for. In order to fix this right, you'd need to pull the fender off, sand that area of the arch down and then seal/prime it before you lay new base coat in that area and this takes time. With a $200 job, you'll probably get clear coat runs, dust, orange orange peel, solvent pops and getting overspray all over the car making it worse than before.
nah. they'll mask off everything but the fender lip, prep, paint. it'll look great. it's not a big deal. if it's dented that would add some $.

Last edited by gbgary; 01-27-17 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-29-17, 03:55 PM
Tony350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some jerk passed us on the left and sprayed tiny pebbles on our front causing pockmmarks. I tried to use touchup paint, pearl white, but it could look better. The dealer wants $$$. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tony
Old 01-29-17, 04:42 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Tony350
Some jerk passed us on the left and sprayed tiny pebbles on our front causing pockmmarks. I tried to use touchup paint, pearl white, but it could look better. The dealer wants $$$. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Tony
Pics?

If you're talking about rock chips, touch-up paint is the most cost effective. The only way to make it look spanking new is the repaint to whole panel.

And dealers are not liable for what happens under wear and tear. What you are describing is just sht that happens with the life of a car.

Invest in a clear bra if you are super concern about rock chips.
Old 02-03-17, 02:48 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by gbgary
nah. they'll mask off everything but the fender lip, prep, paint. it'll look great. it's not a big deal. if it's dented that would add some $.
They'd have to level out the chip, get the sealer/primer/base and clear all within the arch? Maybe I am too picky, but you'll end up with a hardline on the fender lip. To get complete coverage, you'll have to pull the fender liner and the OP's car is pretty low, so the wheel would have to be removed. Usually the edges are the weakest part of the paint. For $200, will slap filler on it and spray it like you said, but it will look good from five feet away and one the tire rubs up again the fender again, even lightly.

OP, do you have a picture of your car? I'm thinking of spacers on and want to go lower, but I want to avoid this....

Quick Reply: How to fix this?