IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

RS*R Down question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 09:31 PM
kazuma0506
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS*R Down question

I have RS*R Downs on my 3IS, but I don't like the way the front sits a little higher than the rear, does anyone know of a solution besides putting super downs on the front? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-27-17, 06:40 AM
akshunj
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have a picture? I'm just curious, because I was about to buy RSR downs and now I'm concerned.
Old 01-27-17, 07:41 AM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's been discussed extensively, but the RSRs do keep the raked look. I would suggest changing them out for swift springs, but you could also run superdowns on the front or maybe it will grow on you.
Old 01-27-17, 04:33 PM
atomic250
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kazuma0506
I have RS*R Downs on my 3IS, but I don't like the way the front sits a little higher than the rear, does anyone know of a solution besides putting super downs on the front? Any help would be appreciated.
If you install Super Downs in the front then there's a slight chance that front will sit lower than the rear. I think it's better if you replace your current setup with Super Downs or go with another brand. Just check the specs to make sure the drop is higher than the Down springs. I currently have Half Down and regret not getting Down springs.
Old 01-28-17, 08:11 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
It's been discussed extensively, but the RSRs do keep the raked look. I would suggest changing them out for swift springs, but you could also run superdowns on the front or maybe it will grow on you.
there's a huge thread about rsr springs in the suspension sub. I wouldn't recommend installing super downs on the front. Swift springs should eliminate the rake.

i have the downs and the front rake helps me clear speed bumps and steep driveways. downs are a really good option for being low and still being able to clear objects. the rake isn't there for looks, it provides functionality.

Originally Posted by atomic250
If you install Super Downs in the front then there's a slight chance that front will sit lower than the rear. I think it's better if you replace your current setup with Super Downs or go with another brand. Just check the specs to make sure the drop is higher than the Down springs. I currently have Half Down and regret not getting Down springs.
do this. if you don't like the drop, change out the entire set.
Old 01-29-17, 05:53 PM
Artisdeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my car on super downs. i love the way it sits. some might thinks its too low but i think its perfect. the front end is slightly lower then the front. but for the most part pretty level.
Old 01-29-17, 06:12 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Artisdeff
This is my car on super downs. i love the way it sits. some might thinks its too low but i think its perfect. the front end is slightly lower then the front. but for the most part pretty level.
Is everything still stock with the super downs? Any rubbing?

& Hows ride quality?
Old 01-29-17, 06:40 PM
Artisdeff
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nathantse
Is everything still stock with the super downs? Any rubbing?

& Hows ride quality?
Yeah everything else in this photo is stock. there is no rubbing at all. i scrap everyone once and whille on driveways n such. but thats to be expected when lowering a car.over all I like the springs alo, yeah Its a little more stiff then stock but nice enough to still daily. it handles turns a little better too.
Old 01-29-17, 06:59 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Artisdeff
Yeah everything else in this photo is stock. there is no rubbing at all. i scrap everyone once and whille on driveways n such. but thats to be expected when lowering a car.over all I like the springs alo, yeah Its a little more stiff then stock but nice enough to still daily. it handles turns a little better too.
Can you take a close up so we can see the tire gap?
Old 02-01-17, 06:21 PM
Jmaarc13
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

RSR Coilovers... no gap, smooth ride.
FSPORT springs, advertised as 1 inch drop and plenty of gap and stiffer ride.
Not sure if it's ever in the budget, but if you can, I would replace the springs with Coilovers. I initially wanted to purchase the RSR super downs but was concerned about the added pressure put onto the stock shocks. Based on feedback on other threads and found on-line, I realize the ride would suffer for a specific look and the shocks would eventually go out so to the added force placed on the shocks. Imagine the suspension being placed under constant pressure without any relief? That's like placing 500 pounds or 4 adults in the car at all times? Results, quicker wear and eventual replacement required.
I eventually went to the RSR Coilovers and can't believe the smooth ride, better then stock and the adjustability. Check the pics and Shoot me a message if you have any questions. Good luck.
Old 02-01-17, 08:48 PM
kazuma0506
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmaarc13;9757572[img
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/2000x1504/80-img_1716_16ce49daa4f142ddedc479b9d0d8e883539c3c1e.jpg[/img]RSR Coilovers... no gap, smooth ride.
FSPORT springs, advertised as 1 inch drop and plenty of gap and stiffer ride.
Not sure if it's ever in the budget, but if you can, I would replace the springs with Coilovers. I initially wanted to purchase the RSR super downs but was concerned about the added pressure put onto the stock shocks. Based on feedback on other threads and found on-line, I realize the ride would suffer for a specific look and the shocks would eventually go out so to the added force placed on the shocks. Imagine the suspension being placed under constant pressure without any relief? That's like placing 500 pounds or 4 adults in the car at all times? Results, quicker wear and eventual replacement required.
I eventually went to the RSR Coilovers and can't believe the smooth ride, better then stock and the adjustability. Check the pics and Shoot me a message if you have any questions. Good luck.
Didn't you lose Sport+ mode with coils? It's what I read.
Old 02-02-17, 04:49 AM
Jmaarc13
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not at all. If you pull the manual of the car, you'll see the sport mode affects the gear ratio and the steering. Nothing changes with the Coilovers.
hope this helps.
Old 02-02-17, 05:45 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kazuma0506
Didn't you lose Sport+ mode with coils? It's what I read.
I think you lose AVS on a 350 F Sport, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 02-02-17, 06:07 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I think you lose AVS on a 350 F Sport, if I'm not mistaken.
I don't think AWD even has AVS at all so wouldn't matter for me.

I've been wanting RSR Down's for the simplistic and cheap method of eliminating the wheel gap. Coils are expensive as I just bought the car. Can you guys post a couple photos of the way it sits and the rake pitch please?
Old 02-02-17, 06:10 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Does swift make different springs for RWD vs AWD?

These: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Swift-Spring...xUb3A3&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: RS*R Down question