IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Mud Guards for IS 200t

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-17, 11:34 AM
diitto
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud Guards for IS 200t

We recently bought a 2017 IS 200t. The dealer ordered for us a set of mud guards and shipped them to our house. What came are only two small pieces of black molded plastic that I'm guessing are rear mud guards. I chose to post here before opening the plastic bag they came in.

1. Can anyone say, even for a 2016 model, if all Lexus offers is two (instead of 4) mudguards for the IS??
2. Does anyone have the installation instructions they could perhaps attach and post here?? Not sure I need them but it might be helpful.
3. Should we perhaps consider more substantial aftermarket mud guards from some other vendor??

Thanks.
Old 01-21-17, 03:58 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

As far as I know, there are no OEM mudguards for the IS. Some have used custom paint protection film for these areas.

See this thread for details: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...mud-flaps.html
Old 01-22-17, 05:54 AM
bmwlexus09
Rookie

Originally Posted by diitto
We recently bought a 2017 IS 200t. The dealer ordered for us a set of mud guards and shipped them to our house. What came are only two small pieces of black molded plastic that I'm guessing are rear mud guards. I chose to post here before opening the plastic bag they came in.

1. Can anyone say, even for a 2016 model, if all Lexus offers is two (instead of 4) mudguards for the IS??
2. Does anyone have the installation instructions they could perhaps attach and post here?? Not sure I need them but it might be helpful.
3. Should we perhaps consider more substantial aftermarket mud guards from some other vendor??

Thanks.
Can you please post some pics of the mudguards that your dealer ordered for you?
Old 02-12-17, 02:03 PM
diitto
Driver School Candidate

Hi, Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Here is a picture of the outer bags of what the dealer sent us. And also a picture of what this part number looks like if you do a search on Lexus parts and see what it is and where it goes. I didn't try to show the parts better cause I am leaving them in their bags, sealed so we can return them because they clearly are NOT mud guards. If someone can say what these parts are (I'm just curious) by looking at the blow up picture attached here, let me know.

I'm quite surprised Lexus appears NOT to make mud guards for the Lexus IS, neither the IS 250 or the IS 200t (what we have). Seems strange. I have a 2016 Lexus NX 200t and they certainly make them for that vehicle. I bought them and put them on. But now we have this 2017 IS 200t and the rear area at least could use mud guards.

I've seen the ones on another post that one can buy through Ebay apparently but I'm still wondering why Lexus is choosing not to make mud guards for the IS. Or am I wrong???

These parts are shown on the attached picture as part #17 and they are called out as "rear shield left" and "rear shield right", whatever that is. Confusing but I certainly don't think they are mud guards, nope..

thanks...
Attached Thumbnails Mud Guards for IS 200t-img_6143-copy.jpg   Mud Guards for IS 200t-screen-shot-2017-02-12-at-1.58.29-pm-copy.jpg  
Old 02-12-17, 03:07 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 613 Likes on 406 Posts

They are already on your car, they're like a little air guide mounted in front of your rear wheel.

Jeff
Old 02-12-17, 06:50 PM
diitto
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Jeff, Again, I was curious but couldn't quite tell what I was looking at when I found that chassis blow up that shows that part. Lexus sent those to us at no charge because they agreed to supply mud guards but now, after looking pretty carefully and listening to folks here, it appears they DON'T currently make a set of mud guards for the Lexus IS. We recently bought both a 2016 Lexus NX 200t and shortly after a 2017 Lexus IS 200t (after my wife's car got hit and totaled recently).

I went to the trouble to go back online and request to build both of those cars. The NX certainly shows mud guards as a purchaseable option but not so for the IS. I find that pretty amazing. Clearly the rear at least of the IS could use some mud guards. We did just put clear bra on the front of the car and we might need to go back to have some added to the splash areas.

Any idea why they would NOT be building mud guards for the IS??? Not stylish looking or what???

thanks