IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

3rd Party Remote Starter? Void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-16, 03:58 PM
Flashkid
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ----------

----------

Last edited by Flashkid; 01-02-18 at 01:53 PM. Reason: ----------
Old 12-11-16, 04:19 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure about the warranty, but I'm gonna be honest, the Lexus one sucks. I'm also from Toronto and have a Canadian spec IS350 with the Lexus starter. The range is horrible (you have to be within like 30 feet of the car for it to work) and when you start it, it will turn off when you open the door. If I were doing it again, I'd go with a reputable aftermarket one.
Old 12-11-16, 05:27 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goldengame
I'm not sure about the warranty, but I'm gonna be honest, the Lexus one sucks. I'm also from Toronto and have a Canadian spec IS350 with the Lexus starter. The range is horrible (you have to be within like 30 feet of the car for it to work) and when you start it, it will turn off when you open the door. If I were doing it again, I'd go with a reputable aftermarket one.
i think you meant the key fob remote start has only 30 feet. but for the app within your phone. i can still remote start my car even though my car is sitting at a body shop (20miles away).
Old 12-11-16, 06:41 PM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by UngBuck
i think you meant the key fob remote start has only 30 feet. but for the app within your phone. i can still remote start my car even though my car is sitting at a body shop (20miles away).
Yeah that's what I meant. Unfortunately Lexus doesn't offer Enform or the app in Canada for the IS. They didn't at least for the 2015 MY.
Old 12-11-16, 09:29 PM
HKL23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goldengame
I work for Lexus in Calgary, Alberta Canada. They just released the Lexus Factory Remote Start Long Range for 2016 spec for $1000+ thats 2800ft not to long ago. I believe theres no issue with installs for the 2015. I will give you the exact answer tomorrow.

For the Lexus Long Range it does shut off when you open the door, a lot of aftermarket ones does that as well, reason why they shut off is due to the keyless entry system. If you start you car normally without a remote start and don't lock your doors , someone can steal your car and drive it away without the key.

They shut off because it's for the safety for the driver. It's just how Lexus was designed especially with having a remote start installed.

But the $1000+ is a hefty price.

For the long range Lexus Factory Remote Start, once installed after possession of your 3IS you will get 2 years or 40000km installation warranty.

If you buy a New 3IS and install the Lexus Remote Start before taking possession, you will get the 4 years or 80000km Basic Comprehensive Warranty.

Last edited by HKL23; 12-11-16 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Needed to add more explanations
Old 12-11-16, 09:35 PM
HKL23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Flashkid
Hello all,

Would I void my warranty if I do a 3rd party remote starter for my vehicle? Or should I do it at Lexus and pay a premium?
Yes it will void your warranty. I work for Lexus in Calgary, Alberta Canada. If their is any electrical problem and a Lexus technician is trying to diagnose any issue especially battery or start up issues (very common with aftermarket remote starter) it will automatically not get covered and you will have to pay for the repairs.

There is the new Lexus Factory Long Range Remote Start for 2016 IS that just released not to long ago. I will have the correct answer tomorrow for any 2015 IS'.
Old 12-12-16, 09:43 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Hello all,

Would I void my warranty if I do a 3rd party remote starter for my vehicle? Or should I do it at Lexus and pay a premium?
No, it will not void your warranty as a whole.

If the aftermarket starter causes an issue, then fixing that particular issue would not be covered by the warranty, but they cannot deny a warranty claim that is not caused by the installation of the remote start.
The following users liked this post:
CharmCtyIS (04-01-19)
Old 12-12-16, 03:52 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by HKL23
Yes it will void your warranty. I work for Lexus in Calgary, Alberta Canada. If their is any electrical problem and a Lexus technician is trying to diagnose any issue especially battery or start up issues (very common with aftermarket remote starter) it will automatically not get covered and you will have to pay for the repairs.
If my dealer ever pulled that move on me, I would never do business with them again.
Old 12-12-16, 04:28 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 839 Likes on 405 Posts

My dealer installed an aftermarket remote starter so no problems with the warranty!
As far as I know, I was sure most dealer did this...
Old 12-12-16, 04:38 PM
HKL23
Driver School Candidate

Most dealers do sell aftermarket upon guest request.

But everyone should know when buying aftermarket remote start, it can have consequences. Especially if you don't use them constantly the aftermarket remote start will need to be re-initialize by the company that installed them or needs to be fixed by the aftermarket company. Lexus Service DOES NOT deal with that, when you purchase an aftermarket remote start they will tell you all of this, unless they didn't tell you then that's messed up.

This is why Lexus introduced the new Lexus Long Range Remote Start, less hassle and problems for guest. Yes the price is $1000+ but you're paying genuine OEM Lexus part not aftermarket.

Common sense to know the difference between Aftermarket and OEM Factory. You want to save money and buy aftermarket then go ahead. If you want less problems and want Lexus Warranty cover your installation, then buy Genuine OEM
Old 12-12-16, 04:42 PM
HKL23
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
No, it will not void your warranty as a whole.

If the aftermarket starter causes an issue, then fixing that particular issue would not be covered by the warranty, but they cannot deny a warranty claim that is not caused by the installation of the remote start.
That's correct, I should've been more specific on the warranty claim where "yes if its not cause by installation of the remote start" then you're fine.
Old 12-12-16, 04:43 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 839 Likes on 405 Posts

Well, in my case, I had a bidirectional remote starter included in the deal and they never said anything about it being aftermarket or not. So if anything happens, their problem!
Old 12-16-16, 12:34 PM
cantinoz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i went with the compustar Pro T11. Comes with 3 mile range remote starter and alarm if you want it. It works very well and has alot of features. It is expensive but it's better than paying a yearly subscription fee.

https://www.compustar.com/remote-start/pro-t11
Old 12-16-16, 01:53 PM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by cantinoz
i went with the compustar Pro T11. Comes with 3 mile range remote starter and alarm if you want it. It works very well and has alot of features. It is expensive but it's better than paying a yearly subscription fee.

https://www.compustar.com/remote-start/pro-t11
Just curious - Do you have a 2016 with enform? When I got the car last year, I was trying to get the Compustar T11, but nobody was able to install it in the car. I even took it to lexus, and they tried a viper system and said the car was rejecting it. Apparently for vehicles equipped with Enform, there was no aftermarket setup that could coexist with the factory system. Since it's been about a year, anyone know if this has changed yet?
Old 12-20-16, 09:00 PM
HKL23
Driver School Candidate

Hello HKL23, if you install a dashcam that is connected to the fusebox for parking motion detection, is that fine? Would that void the warranty of the car? Curiosity.
Hi Flashkid,

I have seen many guest that have dashcam installed and I don't see any issues at the moment. I will ask our service department and our technicians and get back to you.

Kind regards

Quick Reply: 3rd Party Remote Starter? Void warranty?