IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Another LED turn signals for 3IS

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-17, 04:01 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,732 Likes on 1,368 Posts

Originally Posted by specONE
the ijdmtoys one technically not built into the base, its off a pigtail harness. so you still have a resistor to fumble around with and mount somewhere.
Good point, didn't see the pic with the resistor. I just grabbed that link quickly for an example.
Having said that, there must be a bulb out there with the resistor built in. I have seen them for other bulb types (not turn signal bulbs), but I haven't looked too hard for the turn signal ones with the built in resistor.
Or maybe they just don't make them in this particular size.
Old 05-16-17, 04:06 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 487 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Good point, didn't see the pic with the resistor. I just grabbed that link quickly for an example.
Having said that, there must be a bulb out there with the resistor built in. I have seen them for other bulb types (not turn signal bulbs), but I haven't looked too hard for the turn signal ones with the built in resistor.
Or maybe they just don't make them in this particular size.
I tried looking for a while, havent found one myself. If you come upon one let me know.
problem is the load resistor has to be big with heatsink so the bulb base will have to be pretty big
and then you definitely will have problem installing it everywhere
Old 05-23-17, 07:42 AM
Matroushi
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sarcoptic
Definitely let us know. I had the same issue with my RC...all 4 corners and they hyperblink, only 2 (left them in the front) and I was good to go. If adding load resistors to the back solves the problem I may have to order some. Definitely huge improvement over the factory turn signals.
Update:
I installed a load resistor on each side at the rear and it fixed the hyper flash problem I had with the LEDs.
LEDs in question: https://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Hyper-F...s-p/20-085.htm
Load resistors:
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-23-17, 09:01 AM
sarcoptic
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the update...might have to order the resistors now and give it a go.
Old 06-05-17, 06:16 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by ttsport15
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Just installed these they work great...
Are these noticeably brighter than stock?

It's nice to have a plug and play but i'd go with a resistor install myself if they aren't brighter than now.
Old 06-05-17, 08:48 AM
Matroushi
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Are these noticeably brighter than stock?

It's nice to have a plug and play but i'd go with a resistor install myself if they aren't brighter than now.
I bought these and I wasn't happy with them. I have the single projector headlights (turn signal on the outside edge) and it performed worst than stock in daylight.
These (https://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Hyper-F...s-p/20-085.htm) are MUCH brighter than stock. They advertise no resistor required but as I mentioned before I had to install one on each side.
Old 06-05-17, 09:49 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Matroushi
I bought these and I wasn't happy with them. I have the single projector headlights (turn signal on the outside edge) and it performed worst than stock in daylight.
These (https://store.ijdmtoy.com/No-Hyper-F...s-p/20-085.htm) are MUCH brighter than stock. They advertise no resistor required but as I mentioned before I had to install one on each side.
Thanks, I wanted to avoid doing the resistor wiring myself but it seems to be the only way for the best outcome. Ill go with the LEDs and resistors you went with and follow this install guide. Thanks
Old 06-05-17, 03:06 PM
ttsport15
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

The ones I have are much brighter than stock
Old 06-11-17, 07:10 PM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Having some problems with the resistors. I installed it using your method but without the quick connect. I wrapped the resistor cables around the yellow/green and black wires and put them back in. The resistor gets hot like it's working but still hyper flash.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 06-12-17, 02:57 PM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Having some problems with the resistors. I installed it using your method but without the quick connect. I wrapped the resistor cables around the yellow/green and black wires and put them back in. The resistor gets hot like it's working but still hyper flash.

Any help is appreciated!
How much power each of the LED you have draws?
Each LED should draw at least 0.45A + 6Ohm resistor to be able to fool the fail circuit detection. If your LED only draws 0.30A each, you still have hyberflash if using only 1 resistor/side setup.
Old 06-12-17, 03:36 PM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

I bought these and the manufacturer specifically called out a 50w 6oHm resistor which is what I have.
JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright PX Chipsets 7440 7441 T20 LED Bulbs ,Amber Yellow(Brightest Turn Signal Bulb on the Market)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PGRGSH6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FAXpzbHJC6Q7K
Old 06-13-17, 09:36 AM
MatrixPC
Driver

I bought these and the manufacturer specifically called out a 50w 6oHm resistor which is what I have.
JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright PX Chipsets 7440 7441 T20 LED Bulbs ,Amber Yellow(Brightest Turn Signal Bulb on the Market)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PGRGSH6..._FAXpzbHJC6Q7K
If you read my original post, you find out when/why you need 1 resistor/bulb or1 resistor/side(2 bulbs).
You just need to measure the power draw on the bulb. If it doesn't draw at least 0.45A, you need 2 resistor/side (1 resistor/bulb). My assumption on the bulb you link is that the manuf called for 1 resistor for each bulb.
Old 06-13-17, 11:06 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MatrixPC
If you read my original post, you find out when/why you need 1 resistor/bulb or1 resistor/side(2 bulbs).
You just need to measure the power draw on the bulb. If it doesn't draw at least 0.45A, you need 2 resistor/side (1 resistor/bulb). My assumption on the bulb you link is that the manuf called for 1 resistor for each bulb.

​​​I was under the impression that the bulbs I purchased were the same as you guys. I got them from the link E46 had posted. Could you provide a link to your bulbs. It makes it much easier to follow instructions and get the same outcome if you provide links to what you purchased.

I will be testing the bulbs at the end of this week but I guess it's trial and error all over. Was hoping following someone else's foot steps would make this process shorter.
Old 06-13-17, 02:29 PM
ericwudi08
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by specONE
the ijdmtoys one technically not built into the base, its off a pigtail harness. so you still have a resistor to fumble around with and mount somewhere.
I've heard a lot of good things about this set. As far as having to mount it goes, you can probably get away with just having it hang
Old 06-13-17, 05:15 PM
MatrixPC
Driver

​​​I was under the impression that the bulbs I purchased were the same as you guys. I got them from the link E46 had posted. Could you provide a link to your bulbs. It makes it much easier to follow instructions and get the same outcome if you provide links to what you purchased.

I will be testing the bulbs at the end of this week but I guess it's trial and error all over. Was hoping following someone else's foot steps would make this process shorter.
The one I have look like this image
and the description: YITAMOTOR 2 X 7443 15W High Power Projector LED Bulbs Turn Signal Amber/Yellow Light 1400LM
The link on Amazon no longer work (it goes to some ****ty festoon bulb).

Quick Reply: Another LED turn signals for 3IS