First Car Lease Negotiation..Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 09:29 AM
PharoahHou
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Car Lease Negotiation..Advice needed

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, and I'm hoping you all can help me with my first lease negotiation. I'm looking to get a CPO 2014 Lexus IS250 with low miles and realistically I would be comfortable with a payment under $300 and minimal down. Based on my conversation with the first dealership I spoke to, we discussed a 2014 IS 250 with 14k miles that was listed at 29k but the sales guy wouldn't really provide solid numbers for lease payment other than tell me that a payment in the $200s would be unattainable without putting up a ridiculous amount for cap cost reduction.(4-5k) Can anyone here help me understand how leases work? I feel like the payment I'm looking for can certainly work (Albeit with discounts on the listed price) but it seems like the sales people I spoke with are unwilling to even provide solid numbers with regard to residual, MMF, etc. Am I negotiating incorrectly?
Old 08-25-16, 10:17 AM
kyoungjook
Rookie

In my experience, dealers won't typically lease used cars. There may be rare instances where a lease was turned in VERY early (less than a year) or a car was a former service loaner. Otherwise, there isn't much incentive because the depreciation curve tends to level out a bit after the first couple of years. Also, when the car is returned, it will be a 6yr old car that they can no longer sell as CPO.

Originally Posted by PharoahHou
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post, and I'm hoping you all can help me with my first lease negotiation. I'm looking to get a CPO 2014 Lexus IS250 with low miles and realistically I would be comfortable with a payment under $300 and minimal down. Based on my conversation with the first dealership I spoke to, we discussed a 2014 IS 250 with 14k miles that was listed at 29k but the sales guy wouldn't really provide solid numbers for lease payment other than tell me that a payment in the $200s would be unattainable without putting up a ridiculous amount for cap cost reduction.(4-5k) Can anyone here help me understand how leases work? I feel like the payment I'm looking for can certainly work (Albeit with discounts on the listed price) but it seems like the sales people I spoke with are unwilling to even provide solid numbers with regard to residual, MMF, etc. Am I negotiating incorrectly?
Old 08-25-16, 11:00 AM
PharoahHou
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kyoungjook
In my experience, dealers won't typically lease used cars. There may be rare instances where a lease was turned in VERY early (less than a year) or a car was a former service loaner. Otherwise, there isn't much incentive because the depreciation curve tends to level out a bit after the first couple of years. Also, when the car is returned, it will be a 6yr old car that they can no longer sell as CPO.
They lease CPO vehicles, most of which have less than 20k miles on them.