IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

981 Boxster S vs IS350

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-16, 11:56 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 981 Boxster S vs IS350

I'm not looking at which is better, but what to expect in the feel of a Boxster S. How many here have or have driven a 981 Boxster s? I'm planning on one in two years as a second car. I'll keep my is350 for work purposes.

I know the 981 is much faster, but does it feel torquey? It has less torque than the is350 but weighs a lot less.

If I were to test drive a 981, what would I notice about the ride?

-Matt
Old 08-24-16, 09:23 AM
marcdaniel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would suggest going to a Porsche forum, they would have much more knowledge and experience.
Old 08-24-16, 10:45 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by marcdaniel
I would suggest going to a Porsche forum, they would have much more knowledge and experience.
I did. They don't even acknowledge the is350, period. They act as if it's a pos car that isn't even worth discussing. I know it's no 911, but it's a very capable car in my opinion. Just not sure if torque is torque, regardless of weight. I suspect that less torque won't feel as fast? I know the Boxster s is going to be much faster, but hopefully it feels much faster as well. I guess I'll have to con a dealer into a test drive.
Old 08-24-16, 11:02 AM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

everyones opinions will be different. just go to the dealer, drive one and report back.
Old 08-24-16, 11:19 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Con a dealer into a test drive? Why would you need to con anyone when you are looking to buy in a year or two? That's their job, to earn your business. No need to con when asking to test drive any car you're looking to maybe buy, unless your going to steal it. A test drive is just that, a way to test a car's feel before you buy. Go for it and don't think you need to con anyone, you're a customer after all, go and get a feel for the car you want in person. Good luck and have fun.
I say con since it'll be two years before I go for it. Also, I'd likely go to a large city looking for what I want rather than in my small town. No Porsche certified dealers near me, just import dealers. It's always awkward for me doing test drives...

-Matt
Old 08-24-16, 05:53 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I know this is not a Porsche but my BMW Z3 3.0 (2001) feels similar in terms of torque to my IS 350. But I am glad I have these 2 cars since they are so different
(apart from the fact that my Z3 is a roadster, stick, it's a much better 'beach' car).
The Z3 feels a lot more 'mechanical', perhaps even 'rough' comparing to the Lexus. The steering also feels vastly different as well as any feedback from the road.
I suspect you may notice similar things when comparing to the Boxster, torque will be a totally secondary factor.

Last edited by Olasek; 08-24-16 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-24-16, 06:26 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Olasek
I know this is not a Porsche but my BMW Z3 3.0 (2001) feels similar in terms of torque to my IS 350. But I am glad I have these 2 cars since they are so different
(apart from the fact that my Z3 is a roadster, stick, it's a much better 'beach' car).
The Z3 feels a lot more 'mechanical', perhaps even 'rough' comparing to the Lexus. The steering also feels vastly different as well as any feedback from the road.
I suspect you may notice similar things when comparing to the Boxster, torque will be a totally secondary factor.
Thanks for the reply! First person to give me a useful comparison. So, in guessing my first impression of a Boxster is going to be that it's much more rough than the is350?
Old 08-24-16, 06:49 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
So, in guessing my first impression of a Boxster is going to be that it's much more rough than the is350?
I never said that, I never drove a Boxster, I only suggested an array of possible things that you might perceive as significantly different from your Lexus.
Old 08-24-16, 07:05 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Olasek
I never said that, I never drove a Boxster, I only suggested an array of possible things that you might perceive as significantly different from your Lexus.
Sorry, I assumed that the z3 was similar to the Boxster. They are about the same size and weight. Also, I believe the z3 is known for excellent handling.

Looking up the specs I see it's much lower in torque than the Boxster and is350. If it feels similar to the is350, then I assume the Boxster may have some serious kick?

I guess I need to find a test drive...I just hate doing that so early on, but I like planning out things way in advance. I'm just afraid I'll drive the Boxster and be underwhelmed consisdering what I'm used to with the is350.

I've always wanted a Porsche Boxster but...
Old 08-24-16, 08:34 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

If you are so preoccupied with power and torque there many american muscle cars that give you plenty of both for a lot less $$.
For me torque power is nowhere near the top of the list.
Old 08-24-16, 09:26 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Con a dealer into a test drive? Why would you need to con anyone when you are looking to buy in a year or two? That's their job, to earn your business. No need to con when asking to test drive any car you're looking to maybe buy, unless your going to steal it. A test drive is just that, a way to test a car's feel before you buy. Go for it and don't think you need to con anyone, you're a customer after all, go and get a feel for the car you want in person. Good luck and have fun.
He would need to con a dealer into a test drive because hes not ready to buy at any time soon.
Anything can happen in a year a two.
When he's ready to buy he doesn't have to con anyone.
But at this moment he really have to con a dealer into a test drive which he may or may not buy in a year or two.
Old 08-24-16, 09:44 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Forget the Porsche just get an RCF
Old 08-25-16, 01:17 AM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My experiences have been different, as I've never had to con anyone when curious about how a car feels when driving it - and therefore asking to test drive one. Most sales people see this as an opportunity to show off their product and possibly earn your business, now or at some point in the future. All I'm saying is if you're curious about how a car you might be interested in buying at some point drives, go test drive one.
Test drive is a must when doing some car shopping.
But unless your are purposely just looking for a joy ride theres no point of test driving a car when you are not going to buy it any time soon.
Next time you can go into a car dealership and tell them in advance you will be buying the car in a year or two and see if they will still entertain you.
Old 08-25-16, 10:25 AM
EJ255t
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, not sure if this is much help but ill do my best

my dad has a 2014 Cayman S and that car packs a punch!! not sure about the 981 but im sure its not much different. the power loss from the engine to the wheels are minimal on the cayman since the engine and drivetrain is so close to the power wheels(rear). since youre looking in getting a porsche in 2 years, id drive one now and test drive it and when you're ready to buy test drive it again, cuz im sure porsche willl release something new in the next few years.

I have the 350 F and i feel its a lot smoother then the cayman, but the PDK on the cayman will **** on our car when it comes to shifting via paddles.

Cayman:
pros:
Good looking
powerful w/lot of torque
Shifting is so smooth and quick (dual clutch PDK)
its a porsche!!!

cons:
bumpy as hell
rough ride
cars changing lanes will often times not see you since the car sits so low.

at the end of the day, these are just based on driver preference and opinions. Only way to really see and feel the difference is talk to a sales person and take one for a test drive.
i know this is based on the cayman, but im sure its not much different then the boxter,

Old 08-25-16, 10:35 AM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EJ255t
well, not sure if this is much help but ill do my best

my dad has a 2014 Cayman S and that car packs a punch!! not sure about the 981 but im sure its not much different. the power loss from the engine to the wheels are minimal on the cayman since the engine and drivetrain is so close to the power wheels(rear). since youre looking in getting a porsche in 2 years, id drive one now and test drive it and when you're ready to buy test drive it again, cuz im sure porsche willl release something new in the next few years.

I have the 350 F and i feel its a lot smoother then the cayman, but the PDK on the cayman will **** on our car when it comes to shifting via paddles.

Cayman:
pros:
Good looking
powerful w/lot of torque
Shifting is so smooth and quick (dual clutch PDK)
its a porsche!!!

cons:
bumpy as hell
rough ride
cars changing lanes will often times not see you since the car sits so low.

at the end of the day, these are just based on driver preference and opinions. Only way to really see and feel the difference is talk to a sales person and take one for a test drive.
i know this is based on the cayman, but im sure its not much different then the boxter,
How do you feel the Cayman s compares in "pull" to the is350? Cayman and Boxster are pretty much the same car from what I understand.

-Matt

Quick Reply: 981 Boxster S vs IS350