IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Did I make a mistake by putting p zero run flats?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-16, 12:50 AM
lexusis321
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I make a mistake by putting p zero run flats?

Hi,

I have installed a new set of tyres p zero run flat yesterday because I was given a good discount on them. The ride is great and handling is outstanding, but I am wondering

if our wheels can run these tyres when they go flat. Do these tyres require a special wheel?

My wheels are

front 225 40 18
rear255 35 18
Old 08-04-16, 03:40 AM
TXEDIS350
Driver School Candidate

You should be fine with the run flats. Just slow down and try to get to a tire shop asap if you do get a flat.
Old 08-04-16, 09:24 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You're fine with run flats since the car will tell you if you have a flat so you won't drive far without knowing you have a flat. Also the only real difference between a run flat and a standard tire is a thicker sidewall. The bead is the same so it will fit the rim the same. When you get a flat go to a tire shop simple as that. You could probably save 25 lbs or however much the spare weighs by taking it out and putting it in your garage. Run flats are a better idea than the crappy can of fix a flat and weak compressor that comes with the VW Golf VII R.
Old 08-04-16, 10:56 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Honestly, i think having PSS with a spare is much better than having run-flats without a spare and less weight. I've never been impressed by run flats.
Old 08-06-16, 08:37 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Runflats are usually heavier and have a stiff sidewall than conventional tires. Also most tire shops won't repair runflats but rather replaced.
Old 08-07-16, 07:15 AM
manchild
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsportme
Runflats are usually heavier and have a stiff sidewall than conventional tires. Also most tire shops won't repair runflats but rather replaced.
Is that a value play? The shops know the general public aren't fully familiar with run flats so they can make 2000% more money charging for a new tire than fixing a flat?
Old 08-07-16, 08:28 AM
TXEDIS350
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by manchild
Is that a value play? The shops know the general public aren't fully familiar with run flats so they can make 2000% more money charging for a new tire than fixing a flat?
Depends what type of run flat tire you have . Here is a great quote I found on Edmunds along with some Pros & Cons:

"Bridgestone says you can repair their run flats under certain conditions but they don't necessarily recommend it (that's the lawyers talking). "Certain conditions" mean puncture of less than 6mm for both side-reinforced type and support-ring type Run-Flat Technology tires, plus minimal damage to the support ring in case of the latter. How you determine that is a big question.

However, you don't even need a puncture to scrap a run-flat tire. If you drive on one in an underinflated or no inflation condition, even IF driven within their speed and distance limitations, this can permanently damage their internal structure, surrendering strength and durability.

Seems to me for the price of a tow truck or AAA card, you can tow your car with regular tires to a repair shop and fix that tire for less money than replacing a run-flat after having run on it to get to a repair shop."

Pros:
  • You can drive on a flat tire: The primary benefit of a run-flat tire is that it allows you to keep driving about 100 miles after all the air has gone. This means that a person doesn't have to get out of the car in the cold, or the rain, or onto a busy highway or on the street in a sketchy part of town. Drivers will usually have to reduce speed to about 50 mph to get the maximum range. The owner's manual will have exact figures for each tire/vehicle application.
  • Better stability after a blowout: Because this tire can support the vehicle without air, a sudden deflation results in less weight transfer and tread destabilization. Steering and handling will remain near normal.
  • Lower vehicle weight: With the spare and tire repair tools eliminated, vehicle weight should theoreticallygo down. But it's not as much as you might expect, since run-flat tires weigh more than regular tires, due to the added sidewall reinforcement.

Cons:
  • No spare: Vehicles equipped with run-flat tires carry no spare, which means they don't have the jack or tools either. In fact, eliminating the spare and reallocating that space to some other purpose (styling, third-row seat, interior room, etc.) is a big reason why carmakers offer run-flats.
  • Reduced tread wear: A recent study by J.D. Power found that people were replacing their run-flat tires an average of 6,000 miles sooner than owners using standard tires. Opinions differ on why this is, but one theory is that tiremakers put a soft tread compound on a run-flat tire to counter the hard ride. A side effect of the softer compound is a shorter tread life.
  • Blowouts are still possible: If a driver fails to heed or notice the run-flat warning and drives beyond the zero-pressure range or above the speed limitation, the tire can begin to disintegrate, with the same destabilizing effects. Additionally, if the puncture occurred on the sidewall or if the tire hits a large object, the driver would have to call a tow truck. The J.D. Power study found that "customers with vehicles equipped with run-flat tires are nearly twice as likely as those with vehicles equipped with standard tires to have to replace a tire due to a flat or blowout."
  • Hard to tell if it is low on air: A side effect of the stiffer construction is that the sidewalls do not bulge if the air pressure is low. This means that it is critical to have a tire-pressure monitoring system and check your tire pressure frequently.
  • Harsher ride: The stiff sidewalls that make a run-flat work also result in a harder ride. If the vehicle came with run-flat tires from the factory, the automaker usually tunes the suspension to offset the harsher ride.
  • Cost: Run-flat tires are more expensive to replace. A 205/55R16 run-flat tire at a local shop in Santa Monica, California, costs $239. The standard tire equivalent costs about $174, a $65 difference per tire. Also, many run-flat tires cannot be repaired and often need to be replaced in pairs.
  • Less on-shelf availability: Because run-flats aren't a big-selling tire, drivers shouldn't expect to roll into just any tire store and buy one. It may be easier to do so in larger cities, but if you're a run-flat user on a road trip and get a flat near a small town, you'll probably have to make a detour to find a suitable tire dealer. Or worse, you may have to stay there overnight, waiting for the tire to be shipped.

Self-Sealing Tire
The self-sealing tire isn't a run-flat tire in the sense that it can operate without air. Instead, it has a layer of sealant inside the tire that can maintain the air pressure in the event of a puncture. If you get a nail in the tire and remove it, the sealant will fill the puncture, as long as it is not larger than 5mm and is near the center of the tread.

The biggest advantage of the self-sealing tire is that it resembles a traditional tire. It can be mixed and matched with standard tires and the tread life is the same. The downsides are the higher cost and lower availability.

This type of tire isn't standard on new vehicles, but is worth mentioning since it is available as a replacement tire. Continental and Pirelli are two tiremakers that produce self-sealing tires.

Make an Informed Purchase
Run-flat tires seem to have more downsides than upsides, but many people swear by them. Take the time to read customer reviews and know what tires come standard on a car before making your decision.

Old 08-09-16, 01:31 PM
LexGamer
Driver School Candidate

I only had run flats on BMW's and they were harsher and louder compared to traditional. But, nice to not worry about a flat tire ruining a day.